Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Clamp fix on Xbox 360

Options
  • 18-05-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Got the RROD on the xbox. Microsoft are seriously bad at the manufacturing process since they still haven't managed to fix this issue. Anyway, I'm going to try the xclamp fix, since I don't see the point in sending the box back 4 times for refurbishment with the same problems happening over and over again. I'd rather fix it myself and be done with it. Anyone had any success with the xclamp fix? Is it permanent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Worked perfectly for me

+1

That was 8 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

depends how many dry joints are on the GPU, mine works for various amounts of time and then I get 3ROD again I then have to open it up adjust the screws overheat it again and it will work away again for a period of time. You might be lucky and it will sort the issue out permenantly, but there is a chance it might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

Go for it....worked for me numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thanks lads, I have all my bits n' pieces to do it.. gotta try to track down my drill now! :) I'll let you know how I get on. *crosses fingers* BTW Xabs, did you mean you performed the fix on multiple consoles or that you had to use it a few times on the same 360? Don't fancy taking it apart every couple of months!

Kernel wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I have all my bits n' pieces to do it.. gotta try to track down my drill now! :) I'll let you know how I get on. *crosses fingers* BTW Xabs, did you mean you performed the fix on multiple consoles or that you had to use it a few times on the same 360? Don't fancy taking it apart every couple of months!

Heh heh...yeah i've done it to multiple consoles...
    It should be permanent if done right....

http://forums.llamma.com/
    is a good place to go with any questions you have

Good luck

• Advertisement

Xabs wrote: »
    Heh heh...yeah i've done it to multiple consoles...
    It should be permanent if done right....

http://forums.llamma.com/
    is a good place to go with any questions you have

Good luck

Thanks Xabs. I finally had the time to do this job, and it seems to work 100% at the moment. Keeping the fingers crossed that I won't have t adjust the screws again like Snake. Now time to visit play-asia! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Where can i buy myself one of these? Somewhere close that could get it to me fairly quickly would be preferable.

el dude wrote: »
    Where can i buy myself one of these? Somewhere close that could get it to me fairly quickly would be preferable.

You just buy the parts in a hardware shop and install it yourself. You need bolts, washers and a drill. The tutorials will tell you what you need. It's not 100% reliable however, I had to adjust mine. I'll buy a jasper when they arrive.

Some thermal compund for the CPU/GPU might come in handy aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

X clamp fix in not permanent. You can get it to work for a while, best I got was 18months. But in the end it will die.
    You'll find you'll be come a pro at taking apart your 360,(best time 1:45sec to get it open and m/b out! lol) every so often like posted above, you'll need to tighten or losen the bolts. But that depends on the type of bolts and washers you use. Nothing you can do but get the chipset repointed. but might as well buy a new 360 in that case as it will be cheaper.

There are two ways to do the x clamp fix. One requires drilling holes the other doesn't. But basically the same fix.

Newer 360's have 3 heat sinks to help sort this problem, instead of the first gen 360's with only 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement