Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Hatchback 2.2 i-CTDi ES

Options
  • 18-05-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The missus is looking to bring one of these back from the UK. Does anyone have any opionion on this car ? also does anyone know why there aren't any for sale in Ireland ( autotrader / carzone ) ? Does anyone know how the car holds for the resale value ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I'm having a guess at the lack of them for sale over here is because anyone here who wanted a civic didn't want a 2.2L engine, and anyone who wanted a 2.2L engine didn't want a civic. Also as a result of this it would be quite hard to sell on in the future. Do your homework regards CO2 figures and post july rates etc before you buy.

Having said this I could be way off the mark....maybe they're so good nobody wants to sell them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

The C02 is in the 16% bracket - which is reasonable. The review of the lower sized engine diesels get a poor review. That's why the 2.2 looked the best bet.

Edit : On looking at the Honda.ie website the 2.2 isn't for sale !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

i was thinking of buying a civic a while back and asked the dealer why the 2.2 wasn't an option here in the republic. she told me that it was purely down to VRT rates for the 2.2. With the revised Tax and VRT rates I can no longer see this as being an issue.

I have seen one for sale on carzone a while back, but have no been that interested lately. I think the add stated that it might be one of only 4/5 in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

preilly79, you dont happen to remember any details about the advertised 2.2 ? especially price, age and milage. As the VRT check comes up with a 2007, 10k miles 2.2 for €30k - which seems abit excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I would expect Universal Honda to have this car in in time for July. Before they quite sensibly reckoned that there was very unlikely to be interest in a car that would cost €790 a year to tax, when rival diesels could be taxed for €428.

But with the new VRT rules, and the fact that the Civic i-CDTi is as efficient as some rival cars' 1.4 diesels but with a lot more power, I would be amazed if we don't see a Civic i-CDTi available within 6 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I can only speak from the point of view of the 1.8 iVTEC petrol saloon. Trouble free and extremely well equipped. The saloons are made in Japan but the hatchbacks are built in Swindon and I've heard it said that the build quality is not as good as the Jap built saloons. A friend of mine has the 1.8 4 door hatchback though and he's very happy with it. As far as I'm aware, the Honda diesel is supposed to be good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

the hatchbacks are built in Swindon and I've heard it said that the build quality is not as good as the Jap built saloons.
    No true. Honda Corp is so confident in Swindon that it has built Civics for the Japanese market there since 2001.

The 2.2 Civic is in the same VRT/tax brackets and does the same MPG as the Corolla 1.4 D4D, but is a lot more powerful. Expect to see them here come July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This is a good engine and not available in Ireland as said above mainly because of engine size.

Honda have the best CO2 rating in each class I think. 2.2 i-CDTI beats most of its rivals in the small and family class and delivers beat MPG as well.

My next car is going to be a Honda or BMW or Audi :D. The new Civic hasnt grown on me yet, thats why am venturing towards the Accord.

For drivability you cant beat the 2.2 i-CDTI in my opinion. Dont forget to get it re-mapped or add a tunign box for a bigger smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

AFAIK the hatch will be coming in with the 2.2 diesel in July but not the saloon (at least for the forseeable future).

Does anyone think that conservative Irish drivers will still be a little scared of such a big engine, even if the CO2 figure makes it really affordable? They'll still be flocking to 1.4D Aurii...:rolleyes:

But I guess that'll make the Civic quite a discerning choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its the same engine that's in the Accord 2.2 so it might be worth trying one of those out to see how it feels. My ould fella is getting 55+ MPG out of his Accord, so I imagine it should be at least that good on the Civic (open road driving of course) given that its lighter.

I drive a 1.8 petrol Civic ES myself. Zero problems in 1 year of ownership and pretty frugal for a petrol also. ES comes very well equipped (alloys, climate control, fogs, glass roof, auto lights/wipers etc) - the only thing I miss on it is a leather interior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

kluivert wrote: »
    This is a good engine and not available in Ireland as said above mainly because of engine size.

Honda have the best CO2 rating in each class I think. 2.2 i-CDTI beats most of its rivals in the small and family class and delivers beat MPG as well.

My next car is going to be a Honda or BMW or Audi :D. The new Civic hasnt grown on me yet, thats why am venturing towards the Accord.

For drivability you cant beat the 2.2 i-CDTI in my opinion. Dont forget to get it re-mapped or add a tunign box for a bigger smile.

Fixed that there for ya!
    The only small problem with the civic diesel is that it's noiser than the Accord cause of the engine fitted in the smaller engine bay, so Honda had to move some thing around. Not going to guess what, cause I can't remember, t'was a year since I read that review!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

pburns wrote: »
    AFAIK the hatch will be coming in with the 2.2 diesel in July but not the saloon (at least for the forseeable future).

Is that official? I phoned EP Mooney Honda today and was told that there are no plans to bring it in this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Spit62500 wrote: »
    Is that official? I phoned EP Mooney Honda today and was told that there are no plans to bring it in this year...
    That would be a seriously big mistake by Honda Ireland if they don't.

I'd still be expecting that they do, but of course the best thing to do is to wait and see what happens when Honda release their July price list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Spit62500 wrote: »

Not official but I was told there are some in the importers depot - hatch diesels in a few specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

They'd be mad not to - good news - sounds like quite a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    That would be a seriously big mistake by Honda Ireland if they don't.

I'd still be expecting that they do, but of course the best thing to do is to wait and see what happens when Honda release their July price list.

Honda Ireland are plebs.

Advertisement