Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho whats his best move?

• 18-05-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Right so Morinho said today he will have a club in a week or two and be back working by the end of the month, where do you think he will go and what will make that decision for him?

Options:
    Inter Milan
    - does seem most likely at this point, would have a lot of money to spend also,
    he would surely have to trim a lot of excess players but their core is great, would just need a few additions.
    Italian football may also be suited to his style.
    Problems:
    Mancini won the league this year and is likely to be ousted, as such success is expected, Mourinho would only get credit if they did it the champions league,
    the campaign next year will also be very tough with a potentially rejuvenated Meelan, Juventas and Roma still kicking strong.

Meelan
    Always have been linked with anyone Inter have shown a remote interest in. There may be more too it however.
    Meelan after a dissapointing campaign will have to rebuild big time over the summer, with lots of their team retiring. Mourinho would have cash at his disposable to mould a new team keeping the immense core of the milan team, Drogba for one would do well up-front.
    Problems: not in champions league, potential for the future however

Barcelona
    It seemed a lot likelier before the appointment of the youth team coach
    - would be excellent to see him in Spain above italy,
    - could make a frightfully good team out of them, but would they be willing to endure his training sessions after the pep break of rijkards time.
    Would have been my first choice.
    The fans want him

Real Madrid
    The club is happier now with Schuster, but he has often vocalised how uncomfortable he is with the intense press in the capitol.
    If they were to hire mourinho they would need to accept the changes he will bring.
    has the potential to make them dominate on the european stage again.

Benfica
    have the money after failing to get Sven, very unlikely but is he after a fairytale story of winning the champions league with a small team?

Liverpool
    Rafa for Real Mourinho for liverpool anyone?

Spurs/Man City

Are after him, that is all.

I hope he doesn;t go to Inter as I don't want to have to start watching italian footie but inter is looking likely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Why would Spurs want him, they have Juande Ramos and he is not going no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Inter... Only viable candidates at the moment. Guardiola gone to Barca, Ancelotti is staying at Milan, and Shuster is definitely staying at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

id be worried about him goin to barca coz like you say he will make a crackin team out of them, and if he goes there drogs will follow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I hope he doesn;t go to Inter as I don't want to have to start watching italian footie but inter is looking likely.

Why would you have to? Its not as if mourinho plays himself or actually puts a team out to play attractive football.

Just check the results. Thats all there's ever to do with Mourinho.... and the press conferences of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I wanted him in Barca but now after that option isnt possible i would like him in Inter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He should stay on Setanta where he belongs

And why you mate keep writing Meelan instead of Milan?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

I'd love to see him back in the premiership though it is very unlikely. He was a great character to hate!! Keep him on setanta!!

I'd love to see him back in the premiership though it is very unlikely. He was a great character to hate!! Keep him on setanta!!

i agree...."this just in: i am fantastic!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Its bloody Milan not meelan and why would he go to spurs or city????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

There was talk at the time that in return for a massive pay off for leaving Chelsea he agreed not to manage an English team for a number of years wasnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I thought it was just for this season, probably wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Panto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

You wouldn't see a thread debating the destination of a manager very often now, just shows how interesting the character of Mourinho is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

I reckon he's off to Inter (and I'd like to see him there too).

At Barca there'll be a lot of rebuilding to do. Looks like Eto'o, Marquez, Zambrotta, Ronaldinho, Gudjonsson and possibly the young guy Bojan are all to leave, if speculation is to be believed.

Also Thuram, 35/36 now? He'll probably only play a handful of games. So if he's to go he'll need/want a hefty kitty to turn them around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's not a great manager in fairness, nor is Rijkaard for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

then who is?

I'd love to see him take over Sunderland or Bolton (where finances are limited) or someone and really build them up, if he can! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He should stay on Setanta where he belongs

If Sven and Rooney can double job, then surely Jose can too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Predhead wrote: »
    I reckon he's off to Inter (and I'd like to see him there too).

At Barca there'll be a lot of rebuilding to do. Looks like Eto'o, Marquez, Zambrotta, Ronaldinho, Gudjonsson and possibly the young guy Bojan are all to leave, if speculation is to be believed.

Also Thuram, 35/36 now? He'll probably only play a handful of games. So if he's to go he'll need/want a hefty kitty to turn them around.

Where'd you hear that? Not a chance in hell Bojan is leaving! He's 17 years old, just had a very good debut season, is Barça through and through and his dad even works for the club. Pending success, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at Barça for life.
    I'd love to see him take over Sunderland or Bolton (where finances are limited) or someone and really build them up, if he can! :D

Limited finances?!:D Sunderland spent around £40million last season and are rumoured to have a tranfer kitty of around the same again this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He'll win the CL within the next three seasons with Inter.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that? Not a chance in hell Bojan is leaving! He's 17 years old, just had a very good debut season, is Barça through and through and his dad even works for the club. Pending success, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at Barça for life.

Can't remember, I read something about it somewhere...probably rubbish though yeah, as you said, he's 17 etc...

Limited finances?!:D Sunderland spent around £40million last season and are rumoured to have a tranfer kitty of around the same again this summer.

Well I mean limited in what they can spend compared to Chelsea, Barca, Inter etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, he's shíte.

DesF wrote: »
    Yeah, he's shíte.

He's not ****e either, just a good manager who's talked up a lot. So he won the Champions League with Porto, only slightly better than Didier Deschamps whose Monaco side were clocking up double-figure scores on their way to the final, yet after DD had a successful stint with a huge, foreign club and was unfairly dismissed he was prety much forgotten about instantly. Likewise Grant has been just as good a manager with the resources Mourinho and Abramovich left him, yet he's widely considered a flop.

DesF wrote: »
    Yeah, he's shíte.

he is not sh!te.....he is fantastic!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Grant has been just as good a manager with the resources Mourinho and Abramovich left him, yet he's widely considered a flop.
    Mourinho won the league with them resources.

Grant didn't.

He came second lat year, a fair bit off the pace, with those resources. His opponents raised their game from the previous season and he didn't keep up.

Mancini won three Serie A titles in a row, but he's not a particularly good manager either, is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

words can say anything.

He came second lat year, a fair bit off the pace, with those resources. His opponents raised their game from the previous season and he didn't keep up.

Mancini won three Serie A titles in a row, but he's not a particularly good manager either, is he?

No he's garbage. I think they need look no further than Roddy Collins next for next seasons campaign.

• Advertisement

So none of you are aware of any adjectives or states of being that don't describe extremes?

Has Roddy Collins got good hair? It's vitally important in picking a manager it seems.

6 trophies in 4 seasons is still some achievement...even if the carling cup did make an appearance!

So why is Gérard Houllier, OBE not being touted as the next Chelsea Manager? Six titles in two fun-packed seasons at Liverpool and three French league wins. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

in his first full season, he won the league wiht porto, with a record of: 27-5-2 WDL. He was 11 points clear of benfica and they finished with 86 points, a record in portugal. He also won the portuguese cup and the uefa cup that year.

the next year he won the league again, with a perfect home record. he also won the champions league.

with chelsea, they set a record for unbeaten matches at home as well as winning two leagues, two league cups and an FA cup

but you're probably right

Fair enough, but I have my reservations about his abilities, particularly in the transfer market, and I think he'll struggle at his next job. Quote this post for taunting rights when he wins the CL with Inter next year.

Fair enough, but I have my reservations about his abilities, particularly in the transfer market, and I think he'll struggle at his next job. Quote this post for taunting rights when he wins the CL with Inter next year.

I reckon you have a point alright and I can see where you're coming from, trouble is, there's not much to argue against right now..but wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I strongly, strongly disagree. Over a five season period he did the following in Europe:

UEFA Cup winners; CL Winners; CL Semi - finalists (lost to eventual winners); CL Second Round (lost to eventual winners); CL Semi - finalists (beaten on penos)

In the Portugal and England leagues:

1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd

Add in a couple of domestic cups - including the FA Cup over the league champions in his last season at Chelsea.

You can talk about money, but Claudio Ranieri had been unable to make the money work for him. Jose comes in and: BOOM! Ship the premiership please.

I think he is the best manager in the world right now and by the end of his career his record will destroy everyone who has gone before him.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think he is the best manager in the world right now and by the end of his career his record will destroy everyone who has gone before him.

I fear that even if he were he would never be given enough space and time to prove it. I couldn't imagine him eclipsing Ferguson or even Capello (although two losses at the helm of England will consign the latter to history's recycle bin for many). You'll unfortunately have to wait about 30 years for bragging rights on this one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

In further defence of Mourinho, after he won the league twice in England, he wasn't allowed strengthen the team in the manner he wanted. I think it's pretty common knowledge that Ballack and Shevchenko were forced on him, and the rest were free transfers. He suffered through a lot of disruption that year.

Yeah, United caught up, but only after Mourinho stopped being main man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He did that in portugal already, took a team with an average attendance of less than 5000 and finished second in the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He won 1 fairly.
    won one because everyone else was crippled by sanctions and was given the other!

• Advertisement

Mancini's agent claims he is 100% likely to stay with inter next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

100% likely

lol, '100% likely', might as well say he definitely....might stay

A text from Jose to Michael Essien

"Michael, you have all been great players regardless of the loss to Manchester United. On Monday I will sign for Inter and I hope that one day you too will come to Inter."

Source?

Source?

Essiens inbox... Duh.... :pac:

Cool,so i can expect post like,''Ronaldo we will give you best girls just come to Madrid,Bernd Schneider'' from other source

Seaneh wrote: »
    He did that in portugal already, took a team with an average attendance of less than 5000 and finished second in the league.

Hmmmm...you sure that's accurate? :confused: I mean about the attendances.

Bernd Schneider

Is he a cyborg mix of Bernd Schuster and Wesley Sneijder?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Is he a cyborg mix of Bernd Schuster and Wesley Sneijder?

Ahahahahaha no its acctually german player:D I was typing so fast i didnt notice what i am writing acctually,OMG:D:D:D i meant Schuster

Yeah i am just reading this stuff about message Mourinho sent to Essien and he said he wants Lampard and Drogba together with Essien in Inter...now we just need to believe this is true and not just a joke,monday is not so far

• Advertisement
Advertisement