Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LDAP - Few Questions.

Options
  • 18-05-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

I am currently preparing to attach an installation of Moodle to an LDAP server, so that I can log into my moodle site using the login credentials saved on the LDAP server.

I know how Moodle works and am proficient at that, but LDAP... haven't a clue.

Does the LDAP server have to be stored next to the server Moodle is on? or can the Moodle site be hosted in Dublin, and the LDAP server in Mayo?

If so, that does mean, I can be sitting in a house in Cork beside a computer... Can I log into Moodle(which is hosted in Dublin), using the credentials on my LDAP server(which is hosted in Mayo)?

Thats the best I can explain it..

Thanks,
    NevF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

kaimera wrote: »
    Was looking at that already... Without it, i'd be screwed :D... but I just cant get a proper answer anywhere in the document... i know it has to be in there but I cant find a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Well from this you can have moodle and ldap on two different servers.

And from teh first link, you just point moodle to the ldap server ip or whatever way it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

No your LDAP server does not have to be on the same machine as your Moodle install or beside it as in your case. If the server that is hosting your Moodle install can find your LDAP server on your network then it should work correctly.

e.g. for the ldap_host_url parameter enter something like ldap://<ip_of_your_ldap_server>. Obviously your Moodle server should be able to reach your LDAP server via this IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thanks Kaimera & rmacm for the replies. That solves that one for me. Thanks for the help.

~NevF

• Advertisement
Advertisement