Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upcoming change in driver accompaniment law

Options
  • 18-05-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all, (sorry if this is the wrong place!)

I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions on what they believe will change in June with the proposed " all B license learner drivers must be accompanied by a full B license holder" law coming into play. Let me explain why this is important to me:

I'll be going into second year of college(fingers crossed:p) next September and I've decided I really need to organise some form of independent transport other then a bicycle over the summer.
    I've finally got around to booking the car theory test, am in the process of booking driving lessons and will have saved enough to buy a car by mid-summer. The problem is with the changes coming in in June I'm seriously debating whether I should go ahead with buying my own car+insurance/get insured on parents car. Now I know other countries have similar if not stricter learner driver requirements to the proposed new system and don't want to open that discussion or debate about whether learner drivers should have full license holders with them while driving. What I would like to hear are peoples opinions on whether they believe the new stricter requirement for learner drivers being accompanied will be enforced in June or if it will be a repeat of the last time where the deadline was extended or if it will be just "overlooked" by most gardai, as unaccompanied learner permit holders are now.
    Having just applied for the learners permit, I will have to wait over a year before even attempting a full license test. Once back in college I just won't have the time to get parents to sit in a car while I drive making it, from September onwards, nearly impossible for me to get any "legal" experience until next summer (other then paying for more driving lessons).

I've been looking at getting a motorbike as an alternative as learner permit A(motorbike) license holders do not require to be accompanied. That way I could do car driving lessons and do the full test next year, using the bike as transport until then. Being a broke student I can only afford either car or bike insurance meaning I can't get the bike and then insure the parents/my own car at the same time though. Also the danger and other downsides of bikes(getting soaked in the rain) are making me think twice.

Any opinions/advice appreciated! And as I said I don't want to know if the proposed law is a good idea, what I want to know is if people think it will be enforced.

Thanks i advance.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Maybe wait 'til June and see what happens? Only a couple of weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This really is a bit of a stupid question.

The law is the law as it is written. Will it be enforced? Yes, more or less so.
    Will you get caught? Who knows ...

But ...if you're already thinking ahead about breaking the law now, Id suggest you do so in quiet and in private instead of inviting other boardsies to speculate if it is worth taking the risk or not.

It WILL be illegal and that's that.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement