Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTW with a Guitar

• 18-05-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Going travelling around the world for 12 months with my girlfriend, doing Central America, South America, New Zealand, Australia and South East Asia (see the thread here) ...

I have a dilemma. I play guitar and have done for almost 10 years now and the thought of not having my guitar to play for a whole year scares me! But I know that lugging a guitar around the world is a task that could prove a bit too annoying!

I was thinking of buying a pretty ****ty guitar for cheap (so I don't worry about losing it / having it stolen) but my question is about wheter or not its a good idea or not to bring one around the world with me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Its a complete pain in the ass, I had one with me when i travelled around India and it was such a hassle. Made it home in one piece though.

I did meet some people though that had travel guitars, way smaller and more manageable, maybe thats something to look into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

hmmm... what exactly is a "travel" guitar? like a ukulele??? ha, that'd be funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've seen people who had a guitar with them and i've also met people who had theirs stolen or lost by airlines. While they can be good for nights in hostels or whatever they are really an extra worry that you could do without. I never bothered with mine but i always managed to come across someone who was traveling short-term and would have one. You'll manage to find someone who'll let you play for a while. Or just buy a cheap one along they way if you think you'll manage it. I've seen guitars for less than 20 dollars in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah Id leave without one and see how you get on. If you feel you're really missing it then a cheap one can be bought along the way. Also most of the backpacker towns in Asia have some sort of Reggae bar- some of them have guitars behind the bar whilst others may have a local down there with one. They wont mind you having a jam, if fact they'll love you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Get a 3/4 sized travel guitar. I'm going around europe for a month and bringing a Baby Taylor with me. I can take it on the plane as hand luggage :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement