Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a crashed/repairable car

Options
  • 18-05-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hello

Need some advice on this one.
    Thinking of buying a crashed repairable in the uk. Its drivable but will have to be taken in on the back of a flat bed.

Will i have to pay the VRT straight away when it comes in ?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dabko wrote: »

Will i have to pay the VRT straight away when it comes in ?

Yes you will have to pay the vrt asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Yes you will have to pay the vrt asap

Cheers for your reply.

What if it was shipped into northern Ireland, then driven down south on flat bed and stored in a garage until such time the parts were available to repair and get back on the road, and it was after July 1st 2008 Then, when all is ready to go, VRT and tax the bad boy??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I doubt that makes a difference, taken from revenue.ie : "If you bring a vehicle into Ireland from abroad you must register it and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival in the State."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Don't mean to hijack, but whats the deal with paying the VRT?

Do you drive down to Rosslare for them to take a look at it? Or can you just get your quote online and pay locally?

I doubt that makes a difference, taken from revenue.ie : "If you bring a vehicle into Ireland from abroad you must register it and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival in the State."

I understand all the rules associated with the importing a car into ireland. Question really is what difference it makes that its not being driven in and will be stored for a few months. Its a project really? Will the lovely guys and gals from customs stop the van at port and make one pay the vrt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Will the lovely guys and gals from customs stop the van at port and make one pay the vrt?

No, because you have till the end of the next working day to pay the vrt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I understand all the rules associated with the importing a car into ireland. Question really is what difference it makes that its not being driven in and will be stored for a few months. Its a project really? Will the lovely guys and gals from customs stop the van at port and make one pay the vrt?
    No they will tell you that you have 24 hrs to clear and you reply that that is exactly your intentions...

slideways wrote: »
    No they will tell you that you have 24 hrs to clear and you reply that that is exactly your intentions...

Ah ha, i understand. Just keep the motor hidden away and off the road and all should be grand!:)

Advertisement