Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance policy & registered owner

Options
  • 18-05-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a car registered in one persons name, but the insurance policy in another persons name? For example with regard to an unmarried couple, can the car be registered in the boyfriends name, but the insurance policy held in the girlfriends name.
    The reason I ask is that I am getting a company car, but don't want to sell the car I have. Can my girlfrind insure it in her name or do we have to change the ownership?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

No, they don't have to be the same. You may find that your company car is registered to a fleet management company whereas the insurance is in the company's name - same thing.

Registered owner and beneficial owner don't have to be the same person/entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jackieo2008

AudiChris wrote: »
    No, they don't have to be the same. You may find that your company car is registered to a fleet management company whereas the insurance is in the company's name - same thing.

I would hvae thought it was okay. Insurance broker says it has to be changed but i don't want to do that. Surely married couples or couples living together have this issue frequently enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

AudiChris wrote: »

Commercial Fleet insurance is differant to private car insurance.

If the log book is your name & insurance is girlfriends name, you wont be able to tax car. might be able to fool online system but not tax office in person.

Get a quote for open driving for your policy which is generally 25-70 full lic & just get your girlfriend to pay premium.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would hvae thought it was okay. Insurance broker says it has to be changed but i don't want to do that. Surely married couples or couples living together have this issue frequently enough?

this is the wording you need to be careful of, lets just say you have a smack tomorrow and the insurance investigator is going through the case and sees that it is not registered to you, could it be a get out clause so the insurance dont have to pay?

when i rang up about insurance on my mam and dads car they said that only married couples could the insurance be on the car, ie the car is in my dads name but the insurance is in my mams name. hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya as above, only married couples as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

kceire wrote: »
    this is the wording you need to be careful of, lets just say you have a smack tomorrow and the insurance investigator is going through the case and sees that it is not registered to you, could it be a get out clause so the insurance dont have to pay?

Nope wrong on getting out of payments, in the event of the car being stolen they're is an issue as the log book states someone else as the owner, therfore you dont have an insurable interest so you wont get any money.
    The damage to third party would be covered but the damage to your own car may not.
    Anyway this is all "what if" scenario, unless you are married you have to reregister the car simple as that.

Advertisement