Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 18-05-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Stemming from this thread

says item is faulty describing problems I never experienced; subsequently gets angry after I refuse an immediate refund before he even posts me back the item and claims he is initiating chargeback in the morning?

Is there anything I can do on my end at the bank tomorrow morning, because this is seriously pissing me off now that there would essentially be nothing to stop this guy getting his money back and keeping my laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What exactly was the method of payment?

He is entitled to have a repair, replacement or refund. Mostly in that order.

Banks do not do charge backs for unjust reasons. It will have to be explained to his bank. Also, your bank can have a say in what happens. I would strongly rec you call them asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

credit card to bank account, or so he said.

I offered a full refund pending receipt and testing of item to confirm faults. At which point he got almost abusive and certainly angry.

I will call into the bank tomorrow morning, thanks for the response. I've no problem with issuing a full refund, I do have immense problems with aggressive individuals and especially someone who expects to get a full refund and still have my item.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

credit card to bank? doesn't make any sense?

banks are pretty slow about these things for these reasons. can't have people getting item and then doing a chargeback. if money is in your account i wouldn't worry.

You can not ring your CC provider and charge back something. Defeats the purpose of the credit card in the 1st place as a means of payment.

Only if its fraud.

This guy is total scum, threatened me with legal action and everything when I refused an immediate refund before he even sent me back the item - I have my suspicions the item is actually OK and he doesn't want it, otherwise he would not have gotten in such an almighty twist and aggressive when I suggested I would give a full refund after testing if I could see the same problem. So it would not surprise me in the slightest if he invented some wild story to the bank about me sending him a damaged item from the outset and ignoring him or something along those lines. Going to the bank now anyway to see. thanks for the help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can not ring your CC provider and charge back something. Defeats the purpose of the credit card in the 1st place as a means of payment.

Only if its fraud.

I've seen many charge backs initiated by CC providers when fraud doesn't even come into it :)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I've seen many charge backs initiated by CC providers when fraud doesn't even come into it :)

Really! I've tried charge back's for customers. Most of the time its not done.

An example would be when something is obviously charged twice by mistake.

Bottom line is, a customer can't just demand a chargeback, the bank must satisfied its for valid reasons i.e. normally fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 .net

Now now personal insults and remember there are two sides to a story.

I informed the above childish individual of the fault I myself did a full diagnostic and have now found the exact fault (THE RAM); this in fact was a suggestion by the person in mention.

I informed him that at personal cost I will do a 6 hour round journey to a midway point for him athlone (50 miles from where he lives, 158 miles for me) and exchange the item.

I have paid up front, undertook a minor delay and two missing items, which he informed me would sort out.

I as a human got angry because he point blank refused to give me a refund until he got the unit back and as he was banging on about it being a business transaction and they way he does, a person in a retail or wholesale sense is entitled to a refund number 1 or if they choose a repair within 30 days.

I offered to put myself out to accommodate this person, who informed me of work obligations and I would have gone the extra to meet him provided an amicable solution was agreed but with a blatant bad seller attitude he would not comply.

In regards to a chargeback, I can do this and I am in the process of initiating it, I have explained clearly to the CC Card and Bank I deal with and the circumstances are fine in regards this.

I have offered upon me getting my funds back to post the item back or if necessary give it back to him in person.

So if you want to use personal insults etc such as scum please do so as you are digging your own hole legally in regards to the small claims court in this respect.

All has been noted... I am a placid person but the above attitude is disgusting IMHO.

why in gods name would he refund you before he got the item back?

• Advertisement

Well .net,

You bought something, your not happy with it and you want refund before returning the item. That does not and will never happen with any type of transaction. OP seems ok with given a refund as long as its faulty, cause you can not just change your mind about it a demand a refund. Your jumping the gun here.

You can also not inform your CC company that you are unhappy with something you've both and would like to do a charge back. Thats like ringing them up and saying the new Westlife album is ****e and can you charge back the cd shop and i'll drop the cd back to them next week when i get into town! Plus a charge back has two parties involved. OP bank must accept it for it to happen.

Im also not sure if you are alowd a refund. I am sure someone will comment on that.

.net wrote: »
    Now now personal insults and remember there are two sides to a story.

I informed the above childish individual of the fault I myself did a full diagnostic and have now found the exact fault (THE RAM); this in fact was a suggestion by the person in mention.

I informed him that at personal cost I will do a 6 hour round journey to a midway point for him athlone (50 miles from where he lives, 158 miles for me) and exchange the item.

I have paid up front, undertook a minor delay and two missing items, which he informed me would sort out.

I as a human got angry because he point blank refused to give me a refund until he got the unit back and as he was banging on about it being a business transaction and they way he does, a person in a retail or wholesale sense is entitled to a refund number 1 or if they choose a repair within 30 days.

I offered to put myself out to accommodate this person, who informed me of work obligations and I would have gone the extra to meet him provided an amicable solution was agreed but with a blatant bad seller attitude he would not comply.

In regards to a chargeback, I can do this and I am in the process of initiating it, I have explained clearly to the CC Card and Bank I deal with and the circumstances are fine in regards this.

I have offered upon me getting my funds back to post the item back or if necessary give it back to him in person.

So if you want to use personal insults etc such as scum please do so as you are digging your own hole legally in regards to the small claims court in this respect.

All has been noted... I am a placid person but the above attitude is disgusting IMHO.

My attitude is disgusting? I have clearly explained to you that meeting you does not suit me whatsoever. I have also asserted several times that you will receive a full refund once I receive the item back - I'm a honest person and if the fault is as you describe I'll find it quickly and issue you a full refund. That was never in question. Obviously, at this stage, you'd be getting a full refund anyway as there's no way I'd waste a further 20 euro sending it back if it somehow happened to be fine - I'm a realist not a principal-ist.

Ironically you describe me as disgusting, dishonest, and childish when you yourself resort to becoming angry and rude, not to mention threatening legal action - solely because I would not issue an immediate refund before I had received my item back. You speak of trust, I'm the one who's been a member for several years with 30+ feedback - tainted only by your comments calling me untrustworthy and deliberately selling faulty items. You in contrast have been banned multiple times for abuse, threats (threatening to call around to someones house and inciting violence if I remember) and god knows what else.

You must have lied and told the CC company you were a victim of fraud or something similar, because I spoke to the bank today and they told me there is no way the money can leave my account.

I think you need to seriously step back and look at the facts of the scenario on your hands here - this whole incident has been blown out of proportion simply because you feel that you are entitled to a full refund without me having the item I sold to you. And that's, simply put, completely irrational, sorry if you can't see it.

I don't want this descending into another farce of tit for tat so you can PM when you've decided you're ready to post the item to me and have an instant refund the same day I receive it, or drag this out for an unknown amount of time over your bizarre irrational ideals. Your choice; I'll be waiting and so will your refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

.net wrote: »

Small claims court? You're kidding, right? Like they would even entertain that.. The small claims court is for Consumers taking a Business to court. Not for some aggressive individual demanding a refund, without sending the product back.

From citizeninformation.ie:
    Rules

The following types of claims can be dealt with under the Small Claims procedure:

* Consumer claims such as for faulty goods or bad workmanship. You must have bought the goods or service for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.

Have you actually thought about this logically?

There is a reason why i do not like selling stuff on the net..... .net is that reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't see anything more it to be served by leaving this open. .net and TerrorFirmer - perhaps take this to PM :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement