Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg of Lamb

• 18-05-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

Have a lovely big leg of lamb in fridge and would like to do something different with it.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My friend, who is a poster on here, has an interesting idea for a mediterranean style leg of lamb. I will point her in the direction of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

You could take it off the bone (butterfly it - cut out the bone and flatten the piece of meat), marinade it (I use olive oil, fresh rosemary, lots of garlic... ) and cook it on the bbq! If you are not bbq-ing then grill it under a hot hot grill for about 8 mins a side, until it is browned, then transfer to a low oven for another 20 mins to allow the juices to settle (the meat should be still pink inside).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

I have a great recipe called Gigot a la cullinere which is a leg of lamb slow cooked for 7 hours. The idea is that you can cut the meat with a spoon when it is cooked. Everyone I have made it for raves about it and several have taken the recipe.

Seven Hour Lamb – Gigot a la cullinere

1 large leg of lamb, about 3kg/6lb 8oz
    4 onions
    8 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
    4 carrots, leave whole if small or quarter lengthways
    300ml/0.5 pint white wine
    300ml/0.5 pint stock, whatever you have
    2 tbsp Armagnac or Maderia, optional to finish
    thyme sprigs, to finish

Heat oven to 120c/fan 100c/gas 0.5. Put your largest lidded casserole on the hob and brown the seasoned leg of lamb on all sides – do this very thoroughly as it will not brown during the cooking process. If the lamb sticks add a drizzle of oil, legs of lamb differ. Allow ten minutes on a high heat and put the cooker fan on to remove the smoke. Por away any fat that has collected in the bottom of the pan.

Throw in the vegetables, followed by the wine and stock. Season and brig to the boil, then clap the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 7 hours, turning twice. After five hours the lamb will be cooked and offer no resistance to the knife.

There is no need to rest the meat when cooked but to finish the sauce, transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving dish. Strain the sauce into a jug and pour or blot away the fat. Pour the sauce into a pan and boil the liquid hard to reduce by a quarter, by which time it will be rich and flavoursome. Adjust seasoning, add Armagnac if you wish and serve along side the lamb, which should be serves with spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Thanks for that, they both sound great.. hmmm which to choose now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've done something similar to muckety's recipe quite a few times. If going for the BBQ option, try & get some rosemary spears & keep them in water for a good hour before cooking. Then lay them under the lamb while cooking on the BBQ. You could try a dry rub of ground cumin & coriander, with a hint of chilli & cinnamon for a "North African" feel. Maybe serve with cous cous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You could try a dry rub of ground cumin & coriander, with a hint of chilli & cinnamon for a "North African" feel. Maybe serve with cous cous?

If you like that, try this - Cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Mix in equal quantities and dry rub on lamb chops before grilling. Use either hot or sweet Spanish smoked paprika.

Advertisement