Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OEM wheels

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Surely it is the benefit of the authorized dealer to sell OEM branded equipment, and charge the premium price for equipment that is very expensive anyway. Your buying into the brand, and surely that's what you should get.

The thoughts of a dealer supplying aftermarket/replica alloys shows badly on the dealer who supplies them and their thoughts of the brand they are trying to sell.

I would be on to Audi headoffice and express my dissappointment in the dealer that supplied these knockoffs, if thats what they are.

you can buy aftermarket/non OEM wheels and bodykits in most main dealers in ireland. Ford on the north road in finglas will supply and fit upgraded wheels and kits to suit their cars from an aftermarket booklet.

nothing strange in this. for example, if i bought an E46 BMW coupe and really wanted M3 wheels on it, i cant order a genuine set as the rears are too wide. werher or not a dealer will allow you to order 4 fronts i dont know, but my point is some wheels have to be replicas as the real ones are made for a particular car and wont fill the "normal" ones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I will pay €50 a corner for any new Audi wheel and tyre sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'll hold you to that HFIII :p:p

Can I give Mary your number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You won't get €50 a corner, maybe €500 a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

kceire wrote: »
    you can buy aftermarket/non OEM wheels and bodykits in most main dealers in ireland. Ford on the north road in finglas will supply and fit upgraded wheels and kits to suit their cars from an aftermarket booklet.

nothing strange in this. for example, if i bought an E46 BMW coupe and really wanted M3 wheels on it, i cant order a genuine set as the rears are too wide. werher or not a dealer will allow you to order 4 fronts i dont know, but my point is some wheels have to be replicas as the real ones are made for a particular car and wont fill the "normal" ones.

You know what I mean though, ie. prefered tuning company parts with contracts through brands... AC Schnitzer, Brabus, Abarth...

• Advertisement

You won't get €50 a corner, maybe €500 a corner.

I'd have been happy with E200 for the set of 4 wheels with tyres. No takers.
    You know what I mean though, ie. prefered tuning company parts with contracts through brands... AC Schnitzer, Brabus, Abarth...

I'll offer Audi first, if it's outside the customer's budget then I think offering non-Audi is fine as long as I don't misrepresent it. I'll stand over whatever I supply, Audi or not.

Ever had a garage put a phonekit or aftermarket alarm into your car before you took delivery? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'd have been happy with E200 for the set of 4 wheels with tyres. No takers.

I'll offer Audi first, if it's outside the customer's budget then I think offering non-Audi is fine as long as I don't misrepresent it. I'll stand over whatever I supply, Audi or not.

Ever had a garage put a phonekit or aftermarket alarm into your car before you took delivery? ;)

Why didnt he stick them in the boot for me then chris if the originals are worthless? He made a point of trading them in.
    If you are telling me that original a5 wheels and tyres are worthless, you are therefore saying that original top brand 17" tyres are worthless? Is that what you mean?
    Im sure if I went looking for a set of 17" bridgestone or similar for a5 at the dealer I would be looking at 600 euro min just for the tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'll take Mary's number, she must have money if she bought an Audi :D

If I picked upgraded wheels off a brochure, I'd be expecting them to be originals and not replicas and the garage is totally at fault for not stating this to the OP from the start. To me the car is new and I should be able to pick what I want, even if it means the car is coming from the factory a month later or not unless otherwise stated. I appreciate your Maths AudiChris but from a consumer point of view, the OP didn't get what he paid for and he paid a lot of money for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have bought many replica wheels over the years I never saw them marked non oem. why would a copier do this ? More like the wheel is stamped for a tyre fitter who just looks up chart for your car m.y. and ends up trying to fit the wrong tyre.

mickdw wrote: »
    Why didnt he stick them in the boot for me then chris if the originals are worthless? He made a point of trading them in.
    If you are telling me that original a5 wheels and tyres are worthless, you are therefore saying that original top brand 17" tyres are worthless? Is that what you mean?
    Im sure if I went looking for a set of 17" bridgestone or similar for a5 at the dealer I would be looking at 600 euro min just for the tyres

Again, by "worthless as a trade-in" I mean that I would find it hard to turn your old wheels into cold, hard cash (btw, "worthless" was HFIII's word. My contention is that the wheels and tyres are worth what someone will pay me for them, and my experience is that I, as a main dealer, have found it hard to sell on standard spec wheels & tyres to potential customers).

The reason for this is the fact that anyone with an A5 already has those standard wheels (or better) and anyone upgrading another car won't normally want to upgrade to the bog-standard A5 wheels, they'll want something flashy - the reason you upgrade your wheels in the first place (looks and handling, that is...).

I don't know what your salesman did with your old wheels. I've said since the start that you should have been advised that you were being supplied with non-Audi wheels, not fitted in the factory.
    You should ask where your old wheels are while you're at it. If they're planning on binning them, you may have some luck on eBay or Buy & Sell with them.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    If I picked upgraded wheels off a brochure, I'd be expecting them to be originals and not replicas and the garage is totally at fault for not stating this to the OP from the start...
    ...from a consumer point of view, the OP didn't get what he paid for and he paid a lot of money for it.

Are they the "scissors" alloys that are on this pic?

They're in 19" only from the factory, not available in 18". I'd have to check with the parts dept if they're available aftermarket in 18", but I'd expect not...

I don't expect they're the cause of your tramlining, but certainly they should be offical Audi wheels if you paid for and were told that you got official Audi wheels.
    ...If they can't find them in their parts catalogue then they're not official Audi parts.
    ...You may have an issue that you feel you've been misled, but the pricing seems fair.
    ...To me, the main issue here is that it wasn't made clear to Mick that the wheels were non-Audi. The garage has moved to remedy this.

Glad to see we agree then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would speculate that if the salesman was not honest when he sold the wheels to you - he might sell them privately for his own profit.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I would speculate that if the salesman was not honest when he sold the wheels to you - he might sell them privately for his own profit.

I think that's an unfair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

note I said 'if' & 'might'. I have made no accusation, just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mickdw wrote: »
    If you are telling me that original a5 wheels and tyres are worthless,

Everyone wh has an A5 will already have a set, so who is going to buy them. Stuff is only worth money if theres someone who wants to buy it.

EDIT, just noticed Chris already replied. :)

Stekelly wrote: »
    Everyone wh has an A5 will already have a set, so who is going to buy them. Stuff is only worth money if theres someone who wants to buy it.

EDIT, just noticed Chris already replied. :)

The tyres?????
    Always someone lookin for them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grand :D Ask her pm me.

I will have a set of 4 new 17" tyres off an A5 for 200 if you are offering audichris. Im presuming they will be a good make being original fitment. In fact I will cosider buying a number of them at €50 each.

If my salesman has said 1250 euro for wheels trading in or 1450 without trading in, I would have kept the set of original rims for the sake of 200 euro. Always useful in case of damaged rims etc

I'll contact Mary on HFIII's behalf and see if she's still looking to sell her A3 wheels, I'll deal with him directly via PM.

I expect to have a set of alloys coming off an A5 that's due in in a few weeks, I'll run it by you Mick if you want. I'd be more than happy to be able to realise some money for my customer.

At this stage I'm waiting for a mod to move this into adverts.ie :p.

I'll contact Mary on HFIII's behalf and see if she's still looking to sell her A3 wheels, I'll deal with him directly via PM.

I expect to have a set of alloys coming off an A5 that's due in in a few weeks, I'll run it by you Mick if you want. I'd be more than happy to be able to realise some money for my customer.

At this stage I'm waiting for a mod to move this into adverts.ie :p.

Yes do chris.

Chris, whats my A5 worth on a trade in as Im thinking of getting rid. Not suiting the roads here as they all seem to handly same as mine and I really cant stand it:

Black
    will have genuine 18" rims on next week
    registered 10 april 2008
    5k km
    Grey and black interior

Extras: electric folding mirrors
    230 volt socket ( Handy for laptop etc)
    auto dimming rear view mirror
    audi bluetooth
    and of course the wheels

List price new: €54,500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

good god did you not test drive the thing before you bought it :eek:

is it on runflat tyres? changing them would make a big difference

Cyrus wrote: »
    good god did you not test drive the thing before you bought it :eek:

is it on runflat tyres? changing them would make a big difference

Not on runflats
    Yes I drove the demo that was at the garage. It was grand on the roads around the garage. better surface than where I live.

I expected the a5 to cope with these roads as I had a TT last with same size wheels as now on the a5 and it drove straight and true on the poorer roads (until about 100000 miles on clock)around where I drive but was a little hard for daily driving. I therefore got the a5 expecting a more relaxed cruiser and now find it impossible to accurately place on the road especially under braking.... Even doing my best to keep it where I want it, it still drifts around.

A guy locally has just got an A5 so must have a go in his to double check

Advertisement