Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce GTX 280 / 260

Options
  • 18-05-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

The new Nvidia GT200 based cards are due out June 18th and every other forum has a rumour / discussion thread so we should have one too...

Anyone want to guess the price?

Current rumours are $500 for the GTX 280 and $400 for the GTX 260

Current rumoured specs :
    GeForce GTX 280:
    * 512-Bit
    * 1GB GDDR3
    * 240 Stream Processors
    * PhysX Ready
    * CUDA Technology
    * PureVideo HD technology
    * Full MS DirectX 10 Support
    * Open GL 2.1, SLI, PCIe 2.0 Support
    * 2nd gen. Unified architechture delivers 50% more gaming
    performance over 1st gen. through 240 shader processors

GeForce GTX 260:
    * 448-Bit
    * 896MB GDDR3
    * 192 Stream Processors
    * PhysX Ready
    * CUDA Technology
    * PureVideo HD technology
    * Full MS DirectX 10 Support
    * Open GL 2.1, SLI, PCIe 2.0 Support

Exciting times :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Indeed

1100 or so MHz on 512 bit, 240 shaders, 32 ROPs, 1 GB of Ram, 60 TMUs, 120TFUs, 650 MHz + Core..

If true we'll be able to max out Crysis on a 24"

Looking forward to playing Alone in the Dark on the mid range one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Considering the GTX 260 myself unless the Radeon 4870 is very cheap, which will make it hard to justify 400 euro or so on a GPU.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

You know i was goin to buy a 9800gtx recently but due to problems with a mobo i decided to delay til it was fixed (rmaing it). Thanks be to the gods if this card is anything like what is being said. I have to feel rreally sorry for anyone who got a 9800gx2 it'll be blown outta the water at the same money. This is all based on hearsay and conjecture of course either way me x1950 will have to hold a while longer for a break. I will buy this card if it's even close to these specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

I think $500 might be a low guess....thats only €320.
    Id say when the top end one hits komplett.ie its gonna be at least €550 and after the dust settles it will drop to about €450.....nVidia know we have been waiting for this for a long time and the majority of people who are gonna upgrade are the 8800gtx/8800gts640/320 owners and I know ill pay it anyways!

Im also guessing performance will be slightly higher than the gx2 but not by much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

$500 would be a fair guess as $500 in the US usually transfer to us paying e500 in Europe give or take. Pain in the ass but true. And if those specs are anything to go by it will be a lot better than the gx2 remember its really jus two 8800gts slapped together in sli with two by 256bit bus and two banks of 512mb. If this card has 512 bit bus and 1gb it will have a lot more ability.

Post number 500 think i coulda spent it better.

• Advertisement

Found a few pictures floating around here http://en.expreview.com/2008/05/20/nvidia-geforce-gtx-280-spy-picssort-of/
    for those that are interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Yeh this ones a confusing one......im not entirely sure but theres nothing on the Y axis to tell us whats being graphed!
    It could be that its 1.5 times faster than the ATI card.....which will be sweet! And stupidly expensive.....

Or it could be something totally different related to the whole CUDA and Folding@home project thingy which wouldnt be telling us much as folding works in different ways for ATI cards and nVidia! I want to see some graphs vs the gx2 or even the 9800gtx!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well the leaked 4800 series tests were crazy aswell, personally I think both companies are over exagerating the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

when real performance comes along i'll take it a bit more seriously... especially when we can weigh up performance versus cost. but this is the first time i've been properly looking at an upgrade since i bought the hd2900xt, which i'm happy with but it's performance is waining now, especially when you throw AA at it

• Advertisement

Well the leaked 4800 series tests were crazy aswell, personally I think both companies are over exagerating the performance.

I hope your wrong! I wouldnt be surprised to see these cards to even go past their expectations but they will cost a small fortune on release....its about time for something crazy to come out.
    All we will see after these is die shrink after die shrink untill it goes to unified CPU and graphics for ATI and dual core with nVidia.......If these cards are close to double the 8800gtx performance, they will be worth buying....if not my money is waiting for the next gen! Sure only another couple of weeks to see some real benches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ricka05 wrote: »

Yeah but that chart goes up in small increments - so the differences are not as massive as they first appear. Look at FEAR, the X2 is 1.0, the GTX260 only around 1.6 - so about a 60% increase, not a whole lot considering the X2 costs sub 300 now in a lot of places and what the 260 will probably cost. Whereas the style of the stupid graph makes it looks about 300% faster. In fact in the majority of those benchmarks, despite the misleading massive graphs, the GTX260 doesn't seem to be more then 50-70% faster then X2, with the exception of WIC and COJ - not to mention this is an internal bench which is probably leaning more towards Nvidia then an unbiased bench ever would.

GTX280 looks good though, and the card I'd be looking at most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

when real performance comes along i'll take it a bit more seriously... especially when we can weigh up performance versus cost. but this is the first time i've been properly looking at an upgrade since i bought the hd2900xt, which i'm happy with but it's performance is waining now, especially when you throw AA at it

Give me a shout when you are selling it, I would like to try crossfire.

Are Irish sites taking preorders?

Are Irish sites taking preorders?

Doubt it, going by the latest rumours the card is suppose to be a big disappointment, guys that have tested the card say 2 x HD4850 are just as fast while being 200 cheaper..

I am going to pick up a HD4870, maybe crossfire it later..

Do you still have that Crossfire board for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any release date for HD4870, I know its june, but what date?

25th June is the latest one..

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7769&Itemid=65

Big chance of a delay though, HD4850 will make 25th no problem, some sites have them on order for €156, not bad for supposedly slightly than Ultra performance..

Nah Crossfire board is gone...

Want to get a single card, won't be going Sli next time around.....I was hoping to get a card at the end of june reflective of the 8800GTX release - unsurpassed leap in performance....which at this stage it doesn't seem overly likely to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Lookin good for Ati. I'm considering buying one of these 4870's and adding another in 2/3 months.

• Advertisement

Who needs that when you can get a 2gb 9600gt for a mere 250? :rolleyes:

Honestly what ****wit would buy that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Who needs that when you can get a 2gb 9600gt for a mere 250? :rolleyes:

Honestly what ****wit would buy that...

There are still plenty who think more memory = much better card.

I work in IT and regularly come across people who work in the same sector who think this way.

When people do not pay attention to the market, the card with the "bigger" model number and "bigger" memory is obviously the better card.........

A fool and his money easily parted and all that, hence 2gig 9600GTs:rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

uberpixie wrote: »
    When people do not pay attention to the market, the card with the "bigger" model number and "bigger" memory is obviously the better card.........

If they took into account the "bigger" model number it wouldn't be too bad but most don't (or at least that I've seen). They see 512MB 8400 and think it's better than an 8800gs with 384MBor that it would be similar to 8800gt also with 512MB. Most just ignore the model number.

Advertisement