Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeteor - Native iPhone app for WebTexts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Hi su_dios, it sounds like you're using Freeteor, which has been put on the back burner since I started working on EirText. If you are running firmware 2.0 on your iPhone, I'd recommend installing EirText instead.

Message count no longer works for Meteor and the sending feature of 0.7 broke when Meteor changed their website. I'd suggest checking for updates (latest version is 0.8) in installer (make sure you have http://myrepospace.com/repo/lackofcolour added in sources). If you're still stuck, make sure you can log into the Meteor website from your computer just in case.

http://code.google.com/p/freeteor/ has a guide to installing the VCard on your phone. I had a lot of problems integrating Freeteor with the iPhone contact list so it was necessary to make a separate list and store it locally. This has been fixed in EirText.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Hi su_dios, it sounds like you're using Freeteor, which has been put on the back burner since I started working on EirText. If you are running firmware 2.0 on your iPhone, I'd recommend installing EirText instead.

Message count no longer works for Meteor and the sending feature of 0.7 broke when Meteor changed their website. I'd suggest checking for updates (latest version is 0.8) in installer (make sure you have http://myrepospace.com/repo/lackofcolour added in sources). If you're still stuck, make sure you can log into the Meteor website from your computer just in case.

http://code.google.com/p/freeteor/ has a guide to installing the VCard on your phone. I had a lot of problems integrating Freeteor with the iPhone contact list so it was necessary to make a separate list and store it locally. This has been fixed in EirText.

Ok cool. I may wait a few days then. I'm waiting for installer to be released and a few main apps I use to be updated before I switch over. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to using this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi,
    For some reason the program is crashing on my iphone? It loads up and then just goes back to my home screen?
    Anyone else have this?
    Thanks
    Gary

hmm that's strange, although i've heard of it happening to other apps on fw 2.0. try restarting your iphone and see if that helps.

Ya I've done a restart with no joy.

One thing I did note was the folder I put it in wasn't really /Applications it was /(shortcut to applications) where all the other applications were!

• Advertisement

no that sounds about right, it's a symlink to another folder. it's the same on mine.

you could try delete the EirText preferences file in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/

it's a .plist file in there, i can't remember the exact name of it off the top of my head...

Will give it a whirl when I get home, the wireless at work is a bit weird connecting to the iphone!

no probs, let me know how you get on.

by the way, i've submitted the app in it's current form to apple for app store approval. fingers crossed it gets accepted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,944 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Best of luck lackofcolour.

I reckon you could charge a euro or two for it. It'd says people a fortune in the long run.

Cheers. I think it'd be wrong to charge for it though, seeing as it's essentially a port of the JSMS sending code. I might set up a donations link or something, but I'm not all that bothered really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

@lackofcolour

First of all, I'd like to say how great this application is to use, it's exacly what I need.

Secondly, are you doing any work on it to get it working on 2.0, because I'm getting my new iPhone this week and I'd love to have in on it.

Cheers!

Username! wrote: »
    @lackofcolour

Secondly, are you doing any work on it to get it working on 2.0, because I'm getting my new iPhone this week and I'd love to have in on it.
    It is working on 2.0.

See here!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Does it work on Vodafone? I know a few posts back you said you were working on it, but I may have missed an announcement where you said it was working.

sorry, no vodafone support yet. i'd recommend using basquille's web app for the moment: iphonetext.basquille.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

basquille wrote: »
    It is working on 2.0.

See here!
    Brilliant, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrs.ljungberg

How do I get my contacts saved on this?
    Im on 1.1.4 and using Freeteor v 0.8
    Its working perfectly but I cant figure out how to save my contacts

How do I get my contacts saved on this?
    Im on 1.1.4 and using Freeteor v 0.8
    Its working perfectly but I cant figure out how to save my contacts
    Are you on Mac or Windows mrs.ljungberg?

Either way:
    Mac

1. Open Address Book and Ctrl-Click on All.
    2. Click on Export Group VCard and save the file as Freeteor.
    3. Use an app like CyberDuck to SSH to your iPhone / iPod (Open a new SFTP connection to your iPod / iPhone's WiFi IP address, using root as username and alpine as password).
    4. Copy the Freeteor.vcf file to the following location: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/

Windows

1. Windows users will need to download and install a third-party plugin for Outlook / Outlook Express that will export all contacts in a VCard file : http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=freeware+outlook+export+vcf&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    2. Use an app like WinSCP to SSH to your iPhone / iPod (Open a new connection to your iPod / iPhone's WiFi IP address, using root as username and alpine as password).
    3. Copy the Freeteor.vcf file to the following location: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

any update lack of colour? any feedback from apple wheather they will stock it in the app store?

no feedback from apple yet. it was submitted a couple of weeks ago and has been "in review" since. i've heard of apps taking up to six weeks to get approval so i'm not expecting it to be approved anytime soon.

while i'm here, i've made some progress on the vodafone side of things and hope to add it to version 1.1 :)

hi guys, just letting you all know that i've finally implemented vodafone support into EirText and i've also set up a Cydia source for easy download & install.

simply open cydia, click on manage, sources, edit. click on add and enter the following (case-sensitive):

http://vinnycoyne.com/iPhone/cydia/

once that's done, click on sections and then on SMS and you should see EirText v1.1 there.

• Advertisement

Good news everyone!

EirText v1.0 is now available for free download in the App Store. Please note that this version only supports O2 and Meteor, but version 1.1 will add Vodafone support in the near future.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Good news everyone!

EirText v1.0 is now available for free download in the App Store. Please note that this version only supports O2 and Meteor, but version 1.1 will add Vodafone support in the near future.

Enjoy!

thanks, just downloading it now.

edit: works great. gave you a positive review on the App store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Good news everyone!

Enjoy!

cool! I can't find it though. I'm on an iPod touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

fbradyirl wrote: »

try this link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286099297&mt=8

phreak wrote: »
    thanks, just downloading it now.

edit: works great. gave you a positive review on the App store.

cheers! :)
    fbradyirl wrote: »

yeah it's not showing up in the categories just yet. just do a search for it and you'll be able to download it.

nope still not showing. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada at the minute.

ah right, that'll do it. it's only available in the ireland store (plus a few others) at the moment. i'll enable it for canada so that you can access it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Got it. Only thing is it's not showing up how many texts I've left on the O2 site, but that's hardly a bit issue. Good job. Thanks.

chrislad wrote: »
    Got it. Only thing is it's not showing up how many texts I've left on the O2 site, but that's hardly a bit issue. Good job. Thanks.

The remaining texts can act funny sometimes. I just tested it there on mine and it's working OK. Give it a few seconds to update after sending a text, then go into the More tab and hit the refresh button (top left). It'll perform a test login and should hopefully update the text display.

• Advertisement

ah right, that'll do it. it's only available in the ireland store (plus a few others) at the moment. i'll enable it for canada so that you can access it.

no it's fine honestly. I'll get it in a couple of weeks when I'm home. Cheers.

Advertisement