Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape = funny?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Well you all seem to be having way too much fun in the lads and ladies pic threads so I thought I would drag the mood down a bit :p

I like a larf as much as anyone (generally when people say this they are total dry sh1tes so you'll have to take my word for it)

But I have noticed recently that the amount of 'jokes' about rape is on the increase. Especially in AH. Now I love AH. I have had tears streaming with laughter sometimes reading some of the threads there, even the ones that are well dodgy. But I dunno, the rape jokes just feel a bit wrong. And mostly they are not even jokes. Its just a mention of rape, like its having a few pints.

The same kind of attitude prevails when it comes to underage girls. Its funny funny haha. In real life I dont know anyone that finds rape jokes funny. Maybe teenage boys in front of other teenage boys?

Im not tearing my hair out over this or anything, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. What do the rest of yiz think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

latchyco wrote: »
    Next

Ha. Thats like voting to not vote.

Ha yeah , Or maybe i just dont have an opinion so i will pass it on :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Funny..no.

Arousing.

?

No harm in a joke.

Might be best to just ignore those threads so. Otherwise, due to volume, you may need to employ a pa just to type 'Next' on uninteresting threads all day :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Peared wrote: »
    I have had tears streaming with laughter sometimes reading some of the threads there, even the ones that are well dodgy. But I dunno, the rape jokes just feel a bit wrong.

I agree. We should only joke about the controversial subjects that you find amusing.

By gawd holmes you may be right

* may return out of curiosity * sly wink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

as a wise man once said, either EVERYTHING is a subject of humour or NOTHING is. Obviously i'm against the act of rape but i have no problems with the jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What about if you rape a clown?

Steven wrote: »
    I agree. We should only joke about the controversial subjects that you find amusing.

I said dodgy, unless you know exactly to what I am referring, hard for you to quantify, no?

I was asking for other peoples opinions, not saying what people should or shouldnt do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Guys the op has posed a serious question. Any more smart remarks or trying to be funny posts will be banned.

RedXIV wrote: »
    as a wise man once said, either EVERYTHING is a subject of humour or NOTHING is. Obviously i'm against the act of rape but i have no problems with the jokes

Imagine it will might also attract rape fantisists and voyeurs which i suppose is also up for grabbs as a topic ,inbetween the jokes that is ,but i could be wrong

See maybe its not actual jokes that are the 'problem', Its the casual reference to it, mostly in the first person, as a normal act that is something that takes place when a girl is 'hot'. And then the comment will generally be congratulated with comments like, man you're a legend. Anybody that frequents AH will know what I mean. The whole thing reeks of movie frat boy idiocy.

I accept that most people probably dont even bat an eyelid. Thats why Im asking I guess, to see what the general consensus is.

well if what you want to hear is does rape change things, i know a girl who was and obviously, i'd never utter the word near her. but because of the mentality irish people have which is take the piss out of EVERYTHING, especially if you had a moral stance on something (when i was in school anyway) it was exploited. As a result, the terminology has lost it's effect but the act itself will always be despicable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Try smuggling in some male rape jokes (man on man, I mean). We'll see if they find them so funny too :cool:

You have to judge these things on their context.

Do you have any links to examples?

Fair enough point monkeyfudge. And no, ive no links right now and id be trawling through threads for hours to try put together a broad picture.

I think most AHers would have a general idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't recall any rape jokes in AH..... :confused:

I think there might be room for humour on the topic of rape... but if the humour was in relation to an actual rape then that would be crossing a line.

Comedy in taboo areas was something the TV and Radio series Jam by Cris Morris did very well... Jam was usually uncomfortable and disturbing in it's subject matter, but it's style and the quality of the performances and writing made it pretty damn funny despite that...

It's probably a million miles away for the humour you're describing though.

I haven't seen this but there is similar attitude to joking about abortion, that leaves a bad taste for me.
    I suppose alot of AHers are younger and have a little social awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I find the funny thing isn't actually rape itself but crossing that line. It's funny to cross lines when not for malicious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

RedXIV wrote: »

This says it all, I think. Obviously there are gonna be people who disagree with certain controversial topics, and agree with others, for whatever reason. But as stated above, either eveyrthing is funny, or nothing is. Who is to say what other people find funny or not. There's one thing finding jokes about a certain topic funny, and another thing finding the actual topic funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

there was one in the illegal dumping thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55970977&postcount=41
    guess its just posted to try and shock or provoke a reaction, I know it sounds boring but maybe just report a post if you think it goes too far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

eolhc wrote: »
    there was one in the illegal dumping thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55970977&postcount=41
    guess its just posted to try and shock or provoke a reaction, I know it sounds boring but maybe just report a post if you think it goes too far

I don't recall seeing too many rape jokes on after hours though, or humour tbh. Generally they are found in lolocaust, which is pretty much a free for all. Hence the need to subscribe. You know what you're getting yourself into.

It isn't the relative humour of the joke, it is the ignorance the joke exposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Rape is ****ing kneeslappingly funny. 9/10 people enjoy gang rape. Thats a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What ignorance?

Everyone on Lolocaust is ignorant then?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It isn't the relative humour of the joke, it is the ignorance the joke exposes.

Not necessarily, it's simple de-sensitisation in my case. I've been hearing them for most of my life. My teenage years were surrounded by people who constantly pushed the boundaries of acceptable humour. I would strongly advocate that i'm not ignorant of any of these taboos but i will agree that mere words aimed to shock don't hold that much impact for me anymore

I should just say at this point that I have never been on lolocaust and the references I am referring to are not 'jokes' as such but random comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

eolhc wrote: »

Is it supposed to be a joke? It's not even funny.
    You know I've laughed and laughed hearing many risky or uberrisky jokes, provided that they were really funny as macabre can be if done properly.
    Possibly the problem is not with jokes themselves but with the underlying attitude when people treat rape as everyday stuff. She had it coming. Rape his wife. Geez. For some guys it's just a joke like any other but for some it's an expression of their actual attitude, and this is kind of scary as they can write about it openly and nobody bats an eyelid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement