Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape = funny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

eolhc wrote: »
    there was one in the illegal dumping thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55970977&postcount=41
    guess its just posted to try and shock or provoke a reaction, I know it sounds boring but maybe just report a post if you think it goes too far

The humor in that comment isn't really to do with the idea of raping the guys wife... it's more to do with the fact that it's ridiculous and over the top reaction to the offense that has been committed. There were plenty of people seriously suggesting stupid courses of action..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Drake banned for a week. Please keep the comments intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

nummnutts wrote: »
    Generally they are found in lolocaust, which is pretty much a free for all. Hence the need to subscribe. You know what you're getting yourself into.

Sorry I'm kind of new here - do I understand well then that the Boards are funded by allowing people let off the steam in closed forums - as long as they pay for it?

You don't have to subscribe to get access to lolocaust you have to ask for access.

herya wrote: »
    Sorry I'm kind of new here - do I understand well then that the Boards are funded by allowing people let off the steam in closed forums - as long as they pay for it?

Private forums such as 'possibly risky humour' forum lolocaust are free for anyone who wants to use them. You just have to ask for an invite to gain access.

Boards is funded by advertising and paid user subscriptions.

• Advertisement

OK thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

No, Lolocaust is free, just private due to the nature of the jokes.

If you PM Hagar, he'll give you access.

I guess I'd better stay away ;> Thanks for the info though!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Rape is obviously not funny.

Rape jokes however... It depends on the joke. Its kind of similar to telling a racist joke. It's only offensive if it's not funny. As long as it's funny you can pretty much say whatever you want.

But you know as well as I do the risqué are generally the best. The ones you know you shouldn't be laughing at. Its part of the fun.

I think its important to separate the fact that they're just jokes and thats how they're meant to be taken. I don't think it in any way lessens the despicable nature of the act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Rape? You mean surprise sex...?

See, it can be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Well, in fairness OP, you referred to jokes that were made in the after hours forum. Saying rape jokes were on the increase.
    It isn't the relative humour of the joke, it is the ignorance the joke exposes.

So are you trying to say that any joke that is controversial is just a display of ignorance? Not everybody has the same standards, so where do you draw the line. Because someone jokes about a certain subject does not mean they agree with or condone it. To think so is to display a high degree of naivety.

Jules wrote: »
    You don't have to subscribe to get access to lolocaust you have to ask for access.

That's what I meant, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I kinda went on to clarify that later in the original post though numnutts.

Really cannot take that name seriously even when typing it I feel vaguely ridiculous :o

Rape is obviously not funny.

Rape jokes however... It depends on the joke. Its kind of similar to telling a racist joke. It's only offensive if it's not funny. As long as it's funny you can pretty much say whatever you want.

There was a joke based on a Jewish stereotype on the Simpsons episode I was watching earlier. Normally such a joke would be pretty offensive, but it was well written and well handled.

Kid - Hey! You're one of those funny people with a big nose!

Krusty - You mean a clown?

Kid - No! A J...

Krusty - (interupting) JOKER! Yea, and since I'm a non practicing joker I'm not that offended.

nummnutts wrote: »
    Well, in fairness OP, you referred to jokes that were made in the after hours forum. Saying rape jokes were on the increase.

So are you trying to say that any joke that is controversial is just a display of ignorance? Not everybody has the same standards, so where do you draw the line. Because someone jokes about a certain subject does not mean they agree with or condone it. To think so is to display a high degree of naivety.

Making comments that will obviously cut some of the listeners deep is ignorant.

Peared wrote: »
    I kinda went on to clarify that later in the original post though numnutts.

Really cannot take that name seriously even when typing it I feel vaguely ridiculous :o

You don't have to take the name seriously, but at least spell it correctly next time!? :p

Anywho, back to the discussion at hand.

But it's the internet everything you can say can cut someone or be classed as insensitive. You have to just take everything said, well not personally.

I think its important to separate the fact that they're just jokes and thats how they're meant to be taken.

You hit the nail on the head here - as long as these (jokes and views) are separated, it's fine. That's what I believe...

BUT

there are people out there who actually don't separate the two. Wouldn't probably balk at recreating rape or violence jokes/comments in real life if only had opportunity for it. When THEY say "a rape would do her good" they actually mean it. What about them?

(Note I'm not suggesting banning those jokes/comments. I'm just trying to understand myself whether having them in the open influences real life attitudes or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You hit the nail on the head here - as long as these (jokes and views) are separated, it's fine. That's what I believe...

BUT

there are people out there who actually don't separate the two. Wouldn't probably balk at recreating rape or violence jokes/comments in real life if only had opportunity for it. When THEY say "a rape would do her good" they actually mean it. What about them?

(Note I'm not suggesting banning those jokes/comments. I'm just trying to understand myself whether having them in the open influences real life attitudes or not)

Ah well in that case you're dealing with people who aren't "society's finest". You can't expect much standards from these people.

This is kinda more what I was referring to, and I probably didnt make that clear enough in my OP.

The so called funny comments mostly refer to the posters own actions, or potential actions.

Now Im not for one moment saying these people would ever act these out. But its strange that it has somehow become acceptable and funny to reference a horrific act of violence MOSTLY against women and for it to be regarded as repartee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sometimes people joke about things that make them uncomfortable, or horrify them, or plain frighten them. It's a way of lancing the boil, of dealing with them. This type of catharsis has always been one of the functions of comedy, recognised since classical Greek days.

Sometimes people just get a kick out of shocking others.

And sometimes people are just plain ignorant.

As MF said, it has a lot to do with context.

If you feel a joke or comment crosses the line, report it for moderator review.

However, we all need to realise that not everybody draws the line in the same place as we do.

But it's the internet everything you can say can cut someone or be classed as insensitive. You have to just take everything said, well not personally.

That's the reply I was about to give. If you take into context what is said on this board, in whatever forum you care to use as an example, there are many topics which are subject to jokes/piss taking. The people who give out about them are generally too sensitive, or, very possibly hypocrites. Let's say that Mr/Mrs. X finds a offensive, but finds b funny. Mr/Mrs. Y might find b offensive, but a funny. Who is in the right, Mr/Mrs. X? Or Mr/Mrs. Y? The answer is neither, both have double standards.

Nobody is saying you have to find everything funny. However, you should not criticise what other people think is funny, so long as it's a joke and nothing more.

I don't think ignornance is excused because your hiding behind a computer screen.
    I don't get hot and bothered by randomers ignorance generally.....I just think less of them if it becomes a reacurant theme.
    Rape and abortion are at the far end of the cutting scale, you don't unknowing make a hurtful comment about them.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ah well in that case you're dealing with people who aren't "society's finest". You can't expect much standards from these people.

And you think there's an automatic filter "Scumbags not allowed" in big red letters preventing them from reading/posting here? :>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

And you think there's an automatic filter "Scumbags not allowed" in big red letters preventing them from reading/posting here? :>

WHAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Now Im not for one moment saying these people would ever act these out. But its strange that it has somehow become acceptable and funny to reference a horrific act of violence MOSTLY against women and for it to be regarded as repartee.
    Why does it matter that it's against women?

Do I sense you trying to create an illusion of sexism?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't think ignornance is excused because your hiding behind a computer screen.
    I don't get hot and bothered by randomers ignorance generally.....I just think less of them if it becomes a reacurant theme.
    Rape and abortion are at the far end of the cutting scale, you don't unknowing make a hurtful comment about them.

But in fairness to a massive amount of the posters here, at least 95% anyway are doing nothing in these threads than trying to make a joke. the remarks may be viewed by some as over the line etc but the initial intention is to provide humour. Just not necessarily done well, but the intention is not to offend

JC2K3
    Illusion, ha.

No, I said that cos I was gonna write 'against women' but I knew somebody would pipe up with male rape etc so I thought I would clarify immediately.

But eh, not too many women making jokes about rape. Some, yes, but not many. It iismostly women that are raped. Interpret that whatever way you wish.

This is kinda more what I was referring to, and I probably didnt make that clear enough in my OP.

The so called funny comments mostly refer to the posters own actions, or potential actions.

Peared, I don't read After Hours frequently enough (as I said, I'm new here) but I believe that if you do read AH and see a comment which is extremely distasteful and in no way justified by being funny or witty you have every right to report it.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »

Rape and abortion are at the cutting end of some people's scales. What about extremely racist/prejudiced jokes against any race/creed? I'm sure they would find extremely racist/prejudiced jokes at the cutting end of their scale!? No?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement