Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape = funny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

nummnutts wrote: »
    Rape and abortion are at the cutting end of some people's scales. What about extremely racist/prejudiced jokes against any race/creed? I'm sure they would find extremely racist/prejudiced jokes at the cutting end of their scale!? No?

I'd say for most people matters trauma related would "rank higher" than those referring to characteristics/gender/nationality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

herya wrote: »
    I'd say for most people matters trauma related would "rank higher" than those referring to characteristics/gender/nationality etc.

Personally i'd assume that personal experience is what is going to put these taboo's in a "rank".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Making comments that will obviously cut some of the listeners deep is ignorant.
    What a load of ill thought out waffle.

What about if I'm trying to offend someone because I feel they hold out-dated and ill reasoned ideas and I'm trying to shock them into realising their position? What if I'm using shocking videos/images to elicit a charitable response in someone by using bodies of dying children in africa? Or what if I'm trying to make this fúcked up world a little more bearable by making a joke about topics that scare and disgust us.
    peared wrote:
    But eh, not too many women making jokes about rape

That's because women aren't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

didnt read the whole thread maybe its been said but NOTHING should be out of bounds of comedy given the right context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Is that what you think? Have you ever tried being a minority subjected to jokes/piss taking? I'm sure you'd have a very different view if you had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Peared wrote: »
    JC2K3
    Illusion, ha.

No, I said that cos I was gonna write 'against women' but I knew somebody would pipe up with male rape etc so I thought I would clarify immediately.
    I'm not questioning the "mostly", I'm questioning the "against women" part.

It's a horrific act of violence, whether it's against women or not is sorta irrlevant. I don't think anyone posts rape jokes for mysoginistic reasons. They post because it's a taboo, because crossing the line is humourous for some. Same reason people make racist jokes.

It's much more of a "where should we draw the line on what we make jokes about" issue than a sexist one.

Peared wrote:
    But eh, not too many women making jokes about rape.
    Fixed. ;)

RedXIV wrote: »
    Personally i'd assume that personal experience is what is going to put these taboo's in a "rank".

You may be right.

There are also vast differences in how these issues are treated. I surely doubt that "Yore Ma" jokes can actually contribute towards the increase in the number of acts of violence against mothers. This is pure satire.

But there are definitely jokes or comments that make the hair on your neck rise and you think "uh-oh there a full out psycho on the other side of the screen". I think gals are just more sensitive to them, being more likely to be victims.

now iv flicked threw the thread i dont agree with alot of people just because a minority will be affected dose not mean it should be out of bounds

there are certain topics that will cut me closer to the bone than your average person but im not going to think someone is ignorant just because of an ill timed joke(for example a momma joke and my mother has died they dont mean to insult) its the intention behind the remark that matters not the remark itself imo. obviously as that is how i think of it i dont expect anyone to check their comments on certain issues when i am around.

Is that what you think? Have you ever tried being a minority subjected to jokes/piss taking? I'm sure you'd have a very different view if you had.

I am such a minority, well known for being joke objects. I shrug, and sometimes I laugh if the joke's good :>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

everything in context as they say - theres lots of jokes about rape, gays, abortion, dead babies, ginger people etc etc floating around and I think in context of the conversation they usually aren't to bad. In the context of alot of these jokes it not the act of rape itself thats funny. I mean people often use phrases like "I got raped by bank charges" or the likes so its a word that is used for more then just a horrible forced sexual act. In threads with a BF bitching about something their GF did and someone replies with what I assume they think is a funny "show that bitch whose boss, tie her down and etc etc" thats not funny and usually the mods are quick to ban in those cases. In threads about new taxes or laws were someone makes a joke about being ganged rapped by Biffo and his cabinet its pretty harmless joke.

There are some things that take the act of rape too far - theres alot of manga out there that focus on it, even one called Rape Man - those things aren't funny and are very distasteful. Some rap lyrics really focus on the power aspect of rape which is actually the main motivator for rapists - its never about sex but about power and control over someone.

• Advertisement

Have you ever tried being a minority subjected to jokes/piss taking?

in a way yes i have and as long as they are intended as jokes and not opinions i couldnt give a **** and may even find it funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Tommy Tiernan did manage it with the rabbit bit, but thats because he's one of the most dynamic and profound comedians I have ever seen, for the average person its just gonna be wrong, but some artists can make it funny, Doesn't mean that its gonna be witty to crack a rape joke off in a pub or in company, and I don't think that would really happen either, even lads have sisters and mothers.....

I am such a minority, well known for being joke objects. I shrug, and sometimes I laugh if the joke's good :>

Well, in that case, it obviously doesn't affect you as much as other things may affect you. However, other people may take such jokes to heart more than you do. Jokes are called jokes for a reason.

My aunt had a miscarriage a few years ago, but I wouldn't call people who joke about it ignorant. It's as has been stated on this thread over and over, it's all in the context.

My aunt had a miscarriage a few years ago, but I wouldn't call people who joke about it ignorant. It's as has been stated on this thread over and over, it's all in the context.

I agree with you.

I don't think it's about the genuine jokes or humour really, it's more about nasty comments sometimes masquerading as attempted humour.

Indeed.

I don't believe such comments exist on AH, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The humor in that comment isn't really to do with the idea of raping the guys wife... it's more to do with the fact that it's ridiculous and over the top reaction to the offense that has been committed. There were plenty of people seriously suggesting stupid courses of action..

This is true. Say what it does about my ignorance, I'm entitled to it just as much as anyone else is. I wasn't actually advocating the forced coitus on the man's wife, it was merely poking fun at people's gung ho attitudes to the revenge of such a heinous crime.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Indeed.

I don't believe such comments exist on AH, however.

They don't. Those sort of jokes are only found on lolocaust, which is a forum that you need to request access to, so you have to be able to accept that you may not agree with every topic subjected to ridicule.

Everybody has an achilles heel when it comes to humour. However, calling people who find things funny that you may not agree with ignorant, is an obvious display of double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

+1 ztoical

It's all relative.
    A Hitler smiley in someones sig could potentially offend the families of the several million people exterminated for reasons of race; nationality; religion; disability and political viewpoints. Is that less serious than rape? Compare notes? It's humour, good humour rarely goes without offending someone.

They don't even exist in Lolocaust. Nasty comments masquerading as humour that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Nummnutts (2 m's, 2 t's) you may not think those type of comments are on AH but I have seen them.

Not out and out wannabe offensive punchline type jokes, but many many casual references, which to many people can be worse.

I started this thread to get opinions, not to argue, but I know what I have read.

• Advertisement

Why is this in the ladies lounge?Can only women get offended by rape jokes?:rolleyes:

Peared wrote: »
    Nummnutts (2 m's, 2 t's) you may not think those type of comments are on AH but I have seen them.

Not out and out wannabe offensive punchline type jokes, but many many casual references, which to many people can be worse.

I started this thread to get opinions, not to argue, but I know what I have read.

Fair enough. But I have previously stated I am not talking about comments. I'm talking about jokes, which you also referenced in your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I know what you mean OP. I think such jokes and comments are in bad taste and don't find them particularly funny. I'd be happier if they weren't being made.

However, I also believe in freedom of speach, especially when it comes to comedy. I guess people can say what they want, and if it's funny I have no problem with it. Anything encouraging such behaviour or openly condoning it would be swiftly handled by the mods. Anything else I guess you just have to put up with...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Why is this in the ladies lounge?Can only women get offended by rape jokes?:rolleyes:

Stop trying to turn this into a sexist arguement. Rape affects both sexes, just the majority of jokes have woman as the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Making comments that will obviously cut some of the listeners deep is ignorant.

While i see where you are coming from everything can affect someone.

All kinds of things get bandied about without too much regard for who might read them. The reason is because if you start censoring yourself eventually you will not say anything and will be afraid to laugh.

I mean, for some people any under implication about their mother would be highly, highly offensive, and yet we throw "YO'RE MA" around the place with a degree of fervour.

As others have said everything is funny or nothing is funny. Plain and simple.
    Jules wrote: »
    Stop trying to turn this into a sexist arguement. Rape affects both sexes, just the majority of jokes have woman as the victims.

Actually, if you look at TV and Cinema the majority of rape jokes will be man on man, because rape jokes about woman would be seen as taboo and cause uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rape is funny if it doesn't happen to you.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Rape is funny if it doesn't happen to you.

In your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dragan wrote: »
    In your opinion.
    If we're being pedantic. Sure.

Sherifu wrote: »
    If we're being pedantic. Sure.

Not being pedantic.

Read between the lines or PM me if you would like clarification of my statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Once you start picking and choosing what's acceptable humour, it reaches very shaky ground as potentially, people could find anything offensive.

One way some people deal with tragedy is to make humour out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement