Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape = funny?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

One way some people deal with tragedy is to make humour out of it.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've cracked the odd joke about it but that's all it is, a joke. If someone told me they had raped or been raped I wouldn't laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dragan wrote: »
    Not being pedantic.

Read between the lines or PM me if you would like clarification of my statement.
    I'll pass, thanks.
    Once you start picking and choosing what's acceptable humour, it reaches very shaky ground as potentially, people could find anything offensive.

One way some people deal with tragedy is to make humour out of it.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

And that's enough.

Jokes are funny.

Rape is not.

So the joke is what we're laughing at, not the rape.

However there are some things you should not persistently trivialise, and sexual violence is one of them.

And I for one am tired of this thread and its "if you rape a clown is it funny" and "rape is funny if it doesn't happen to you" comments.

Rape is never funny. It's not amusing. It's not lighthearted. It's not to be trivialised. "How was your week?" "Oh fine, just a little rape on Tuesday night, nothing unusual about that."

Enough. If you want to chat about whether you should be allowed to laugh your selves stupid over sexual violence and humilation, please either start a thread in humanities or PM me and I'll move this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement