Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers are for Sissys ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

You and yer BBC!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

:rolleyes:
    You're gonna get nowhere if you decide to live in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Even Grannies can use computers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I wonder does he still get a good mark-up on the tape.
    Bet it sounds great.

I dont REALLY like the idea TBH. I dont see the point in limiting yourself. It seems like something someone who is really stubborn and egotistical would do. Limiting yourself form the get go instead of leaving yourself open for advances in technology. Why cant he use both? What if something handy comes up that still allows him to get the same sound but maybe easier or something?

As an Idea I think its pointless and very narrowminded. A bit of a laugh maybe but pointless. KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

No way. Back to typewriters we all shall go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

sei046 wrote: »
    I dont REALLY like the idea TBH. I dont see the point in limiting yourself. It seems like something someone who is really stubborn and egotistical would do. Limiting yourself form the get go instead of leaving yourself open for advances in technology. Why cant he use both? What if something handy comes up that still allows him to get the same sound but maybe easier or something?

As an Idea I think its pointless and very narrowminded. A bit of a laugh maybe but pointless. KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN!

Limiting yourself IS the point!
    To work on such gear one would have to make decisions on the fly and commit to those decisions. This becomes part of the creative process. Listen to the documentary - it's very interesting.

Of course I'm not implying ditch yer 'puter - but the underlying ideas do have some merit.

Also whatever anyone's opinion on the results are one can't deny they have personality - and that's gold dust in the Pro-Tools age.

I know what your saying paul but isnt a healthy respect for the technoligy not a better policy to have than to limit yourself?

It seems like they dont trust themselves to go with what sounds/is right. If you use all the best technology available, whether that be analogue or digital, you are surely going to get better results than to limit yourself to one and not be open to better options.

I would sooner learn how to show restraint and use anything that sounds good than to say I dont trust myself not to go overboard and only allow myself one avenue. Seems like a bit of a silly business plan since so many top studios offer both

I know what your saying paul but isnt a healthy respect for the technoligy not a better policy to have than to limit yourself?

It seems like they dont trust themselves to go with what sounds/is right. If you use all the best technology available, whether that be analogue or digital, you are surely going to get better results than to limit yourself to one and not be open to better options.

I would sooner learn how to show restraint and use anything that sounds good than to say I dont trust myself not to go overboard and only allow myself one avenue. Seems like a bit of a silly business plan since so many top studios offer both

It's a DIFFERENT policy to the norm, that's the point !

I don't believe there's a right or wrong in it. It's whatever works. All my clients who do well apply variations of that idea to the way they work.
    That is, they do 'this' their way to the best of their abilities and they don't do 'that' - if it's 'this' you need then that's your man! It's that idea.

I seem to remember a post expressing a similar idea from Michael Trackmixstudio a while ago along similar lines - he does rock with bands he's comfortable with.

It's this expressing your own personal preferences that make things, and the world in general, interesting - trying to be all things to all men will lead to one thing, blandness....

I would think the opposite! I would feel that the possibilities offered by any one medium are limited, whereas a policy of anything goes gives an unlimited amount of sounds.

I just get uncomfortable thinking about a situation where I cannot do something because I limit myself unneccesarily to a medium. Its like saying I will only play telecasters. Telecasters are great and no other guitars sounds like they do but what happens when a song comes up that needs a les paul sound? Well I cant do that because I only want to use telecasters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Looks like one of the EMI consoles in the picture. I think its a great idea, studio's like that. It's an entirely different work flow and creative environment then copy cut and paste with 1 million takes and mics all over the place. Some of my favorite things I've recorded were quick on the fly things with minimal approach and just capture wat was going down!!! Great to see studios like that!!

Was just reading too on Electrical Audio site that steve albini's studio just got a PT rig cuz they've become so important in the studio. But it says don't be asking Steve to use it!!! :)

http://www.electrical.com/

But everyone seems to work under the assumption that the digital domain requires you use 100 mics and do 45669 takes! Thats what gets me. If thats what you do then thats human error! Nothing do do with the equipment. Kind of sad really?

I sound like im saying digital is better and thats not it at all. I just think a venture like this is no more than a nice little curiosity. Seems pointless and someone with a head on their shoulders and a healthy knowledge of whats going on would be taking what they can/want from the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Like with every Analogue V Digital argument, there can only be one true outcome in the end. Both. Maybe it should be called "digilogue" :o

All the latest top live mixing desks are digital with analogue interfaces, just one example of how the industry is reacting to increasing demand for the simplicity of analogue with the advantages of digital.

Digilogue! You heard it here first!

Eggsaktly

I would think the opposite! I would feel that the possibilities offered by any one medium are limited, whereas a policy of anything goes gives an unlimited amount of sounds.

I just get uncomfortable thinking about a situation where I cannot do something because I limit myself unneccesarily to a medium. Its like saying I will only play telecasters. Telecasters are great and no other guitars sounds like they do but what happens when a song comes up that needs a les paul sound? Well I cant do that because I only want to use telecasters!

That's the WHOLE point! You only do songs that need Telecasters!!

Think about this from here on - you'll see variations of that theme in virtually all the guys who are at it for a while - instead of trying to be 'everything' try and be 'something' .

I think something is the wrong term " One thing " would be better.

I personally think if it were left up to these people we would not have used fire! We wouldnt have used the wheel.

There is that characteristic THUD.....THUD......THUD......from using two squares to move around that you JUST CANT get from circles.

Its a nice idea and a brilliant sounding studio im sure! I just dont like the mentality. I consider myself a musical prostitute. I dont care what genre I play on, what guitar i have to use to do it, whatever amp it takes, whatever style i have to play. In the studio i dont care if i have to use 900 tracks to get THAT sound, mic the guitar from every angle, or only use a tascam MTS 120 on an orchestra, or use a pc mic into a tape recorder to get Metallicas guitar sounds.

Means to an end.

cut means...cut ends

I think something is the wrong term " One thing " would be better.

I personally think if it were left up to these people we would not have used fire! We wouldnt have used the wheel.

There is that characteristic THUD.....THUD......THUD......from using two squares to move around that you JUST CANT get from circles.

Its a nice idea and a brilliant sounding studio im sure! I just dont like the mentality. I consider myself a musical prostitute. I dont care what genre I play on, what guitar i have to use to do it, whatever amp it takes, whatever style i have to play. In the studio i dont care if i have to use 900 tracks to get THAT sound, mic the guitar from every angle, or only use a tascam MTS 120 on an orchestra, or use a pc mic into a tape recorder to get Metallicas guitar sounds.

Means to an end.

cut means...cut ends

Yes, an equally valid way to think - and one I share.

However Liam has had 1 Grammy and 1 Grammy nomination out of the studio in the back of his house! He doin something right. I thought the kick on Seven Nation army was the best kick ever!

Limitations free you to do other stuff, maybe the other stuff is what's interesting?

How does limiting yourself open avenues? Limiting means restricting avenues!

I never once said that amazing results couldnt be achieved!

I was talking about the workflow not analogue vs digital. Thats a crazy boring debate I don't want to get into :)

But like I was saying some of my favourite things were done very quick with minimal approach but was into PT. Every projects requires different approaches. The studio for me is its vibe that it will offer with the more minimal approach.

The best studios for me are the ones with some mojo and vibe. You can have all the best gear in the world but if your studio is lacking in the vibe department your in deep trouble. Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes the old school style studio will inspire the band and project better then a modern studio doing the minimal approach etc.

I dont like that idea lol.

• Advertisement

How does limiting yourself open avenues? !

I'm not expressing myself very well am I ?

Imagine this , 1 Tele , 1 Fender Twin , now impress me!

Because of the fact you have limited sonic options the only thing that's going to impress is the playing i.e. the music.

So it's that idea - heres what we have, it all sounds good, lets make music!

Simple!

dabhoys wrote: »
    Sometimes the old school style studio will inspire the band and project better then a modern studio doing the minimal approach etc.

Amen Dabhoys

I've worked in rooms that make you want to work and I've worked in rooms that not matter how hard you try, working sucks in them. No mojo!!! Hence why some studios never get renovated from there original decor and set up. I'm always going to go to the studio that inspire's work and creativity!!

Mojo that's it!

I never once doubted that! But Thats a styling issue! It has nothing to do with the functionality of the stuff.

I definitely agree that a studio has to FEEL right. But thats more down to the way that things LOOK too digital! But I CERTAINLY would not sacrifice quality/functionality for how something looks!

Mojo does not come into this because there is no winning formula and i dont think thats what that studio was going for. You cant put a load of analogue gear in the room and say "Yeah this now has mojo, get inspired!".

I am not saying there is anything wrong with all analogue at all!
    I disagree with the mindset that says " Limit your capabilities ".
    Sure you can sound amazing on your telecaster and impress people with it, but whats wrong with owning a les paul anyway!?!?!?!?

but whats wrong with owning a les paul anyway!?!?!?!?
    Nothing! That's an equally valid view.

But it's an old story, back to basics.
    It's a route many bands have taken. Hence a band like Madness wanted to go back to their roots, and using a studio like ToeRag was a way to do that.

Ok! I know what your saying!

Like, sometimes its nice just to gig with Guitar>Lead>Amp.
    I love that. Its basic, you have to work differently!
    BUT! I wouldnt say i can only use that because by having my effects rack etc. I can do the same AND more!

We are not disagreeing I think. Just both showing equal points!

As an Idea I think its pointless and very narrowminded.

So you don't think this anymore? ....... Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

it's not pointless. but it is narrowminded.

I mean i think it's cool to have a place like this, and fair play to them. But it is really catering to a lot esoteric nonsense in music industry.

And that white stripes album is a musical abomination.

• Advertisement

I still think its a stupid idea really. More of a curiosity! Its there money!

Advertisement