Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers are for Sissys ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

sei046 wrote: »
    I still think its a stupid idea really. More of a curiosity! Its there money!

Ah Dave, bad spelling nulls all arguments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I WAS JUST DISCUSSING THIS! My spelling has gone to the dogs on the internet! And my grammar! It really has. I was literally just saying this! Whenever I read over my own posts I have no idea what I was trying to say! In real life Im a spelling and grammar bitch!

I WAS JUST DISCUSSING THIS! My spelling has gone to the dogs on the internet! And my grammar! It really has. I was literally just saying this! Whenever I read over my own posts I have no idea what I was trying to say! In real life Im a spelling and grammar bitch!

So that's grammar, spelling and arguing you need to smarten up on..... perhaps there's a night class?;)

Now paul, I think you will find that arguing is one of the things I do best as I focus on the facts! Freedom from one's ego is a powerful tool in constructing opinions.

Now paul, I think you will find that arguing is one of the things I do best as I focus on the facts! Freedom from one's ego is a powerful tool in constructing opinions.

Hmmm....!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Now paul, I think you will find that arguing is one of the things I do best

jaysus you must be sh1te at everything else you do so.

Touche! Tooshay? Twoshae!?

jtsuited wrote: »
    jaysus you must be sh1te at everything else you do so.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! LOL!

LOL!

good one.

Touche! Tooshay? Twoshae!?

Touchy!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! LOL!

LOL!

good one.

excellent response. bravo

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of lads recording through tape to protools or vice versa. Seems like the natural progression to me anyway. I dont like people farting on about how they will only use digital either. Paul your dealing with this stuff the whole time, Do you find people using the SSL's etc with analogue?

There seems to be a lot of lads recording through tape to protools or vice versa. Seems like the natural progression to me anyway. I dont like people farting on about how they will only use digital either. Paul your dealing with this stuff the whole time, Do you find people using the SSL's etc with analogue?

No, I don't know of anyone using tape consistently.

I've heard of a few guys trying it to get that 'analogue' sound (whaever da is?) but tape costs effect enthusiasm on that front.

I believe The Blizzards explored the tape route on their current project but reverted to PTools.

However, a large portion of what we supply is analogue gear, which is us reacting to what we're asked for.

I believe the Raconteurs new album was done to tape and does sound fab!

So you dont see too many hybrid setups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Even out here in LA tape has become very rare to track too. Mainly PT

The raconteurs did there record in Blackbird Studio in Nashville, with Joe Chiccarelli. Blackbird is a sick studio. They've got a crazy amount of gear. Its nuts. A lot of great stuff is being done out there at the moment. Great article this month in Mix all about things in nashville at the moment.

Theres plenty of great recordings being done to PT. The problem I've seen with the tape thats being manufactured at the moment is very inconsistent. So its a pain in the ass from reel to reel.

When it comes to that studio in England for me what its offering is not all the gear its the method of recording and ways of approaching the recording.

Its like recording at a residential studio is a totally different way of recording to recording in a regular studio. So to me this place is offering a different way of recording.

So you dont see too many hybrid setups?

Well hybrid insofar as a mix of analogue mic pres , eqs and comps , digital in the middle, and analogue summing back end too.

Interesting from my point of view is that guys are willing to try the likes of Summing mixers now whereas even a couple of years ago they wouldn't.

It's clear to anyone who has tried the likes how and why it performs well .

That's why I think the SSL Mynx is a very significant product insofar as any serious home user can have at their disposal exactly the same circuitry as the guys with the Euro 200k console. His mic pre will operate exactly as yours will.

This is the first time this has happened and I think these developments , particularly driven by SSL will have a big positive impact on home recording.

Sales pitch over!!

SSL have been bring there prices down to within grasp of people at home. The company has taken on a whole new approach to stay in the game. Its great and it allows them to keep making the nice console I love so much :) Even the Large format ones have had a major price drop too. But from what I can tell not a quality drop.

I've yet to use the Duality but have been hearing great things about it.

dabhoys wrote: »
    SSL have been bring there prices down to within grasp of people at home. The company has taken on a whole new approach to stay in the game. Its great and it allows them to keep making the nice console I love so much :) Even the Large format ones have had a major price drop too. But from what I can tell not a quality drop.

There's one in Clara in Offaly , you're very welcome to come down for a day for a spin if you so desire.

dabhoys wrote: »
    Even the Large format ones have had a major price drop too. But from what I can tell not a quality drop.

A lot of the price drop is to do with the way they're built - the mic input is now an XLR directly on the circuit boards for example.

This makes a twofold gain - namely a shorter direct audio path and a man NOT wiring up an edac internally and running through miles of extra cabling, all of which costs!

The power supplies are much smaller too so it's cheaper to run. I've heard of a city centre studio who pay Euro 1k on electricity a month!

Thats insane!
    I dont believe companys care lol. If they are dropping prices its because sales are dropping on their higher end stuff! Then again im exceedingly cynical

• Advertisement

Thats insane!
    I dont believe companys care lol. If they are dropping prices its because sales are dropping on their higher end stuff! Then again im exceedingly cynical

No! Well not in this case! The higher end console is the Duality, the replacement for the J/K series. It's designed to be a different beast, they're not dropping it's price, it's just cheaper to build.
    Joe's number 72 as I recall, so that's 72 x Euro150K (min) Dualities they've sold in about 18 months.

What has dropped in price is the AWS900 and that's because they've sold so many! They're over 450 worldwide and at that sort of volume thay can afford to drop the price. Originally it was about £50k and now it's £41.5k. Still a big sum but an £8.5k drop ain't to be sniffed at!

Oh and it's 'companies' ;)

You win this round! But personally I hate SSLs. Just dont like the Eq's on them. I think they are just glorified yamahas with a badge on them! Plus they look ridiculous. And actually Neve have a HORRIBLE sound. Very dead. I would take them new Onyx desks any day, nice pres and cheaper

And actually Neve have a HORRIBLE sound.

jaysus you should hear the neve 8816 summing thingy. my ears were jumping for joy whent they heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

And actually Neve have a HORRIBLE sound. Very dead. I would take them new Onyx desks any day, nice pres and cheaper

:D:D:D

I suppose you know paul sure! He is all into that stuff but at the end of the day they are just pots and faders. The SSL badge adds thousands to the price tag. A mate of mine was saying how the mackie and onyx desks are made in the same place but the companys just put their badge on. Of course your never going to hear this because it would cost them their reputation!

You win this round! But personally I hate SSLs. Just dont like the Eq's on them. I think they are just glorified yamahas with a badge on them! Plus they look ridiculous. And actually Neve have a HORRIBLE sound. Very dead. I would take them new Onyx desks any day, nice pres and cheaper

Come down to Clara and let me show you different re the SSL!

There are a few of both Neve and SSLs here in Ireland that perhaps don't perform to top spec.

I'd guess ALL your favourite records have been done on one or the other console?

Similarly if they're driven in a mix situation by a 192 you won't be getting the best out of them.

The SSL pres are superb too, especially the VHD thing where you can add variable amounts of 2nd or 3rd harmonics distortion to shape a tone.

Also the compressors are terrific and have become the standard on drums particularly.

And the bus comp is another winner, 'gluing' a whole track together as it does.

The current super analogue circuits have a wider (flat) frequency response that recording at 192k and a lower noise floor than 24bit !

Lastly the DAW control integration is as superb as it is simple.

You are of course welcome to use a Mackie if you so desire....;)

I suppose you know paul sure! He is all into that stuff but at the end of the day they are just pots and faders. The SSL badge adds thousands to the price tag. A mate of mine was saying how the mackie and onyx desks are made in the same place but the companys just put their badge on. Of course your never going to hear this because it would cost them their reputation!

Introduce me to your 'mate'! A lad who says such a thing is clearly no friend!!

But sure SSLs are just for show. big desk GREAT! get yourself a nice yamaha or studiomaster and spend the difference on a nice big comfy chair. Lots of flashing lights doesnt make them good paul. Trust me, I have worked on a few SSL's. I always revert to the studiomaster with the built in effects

But sure SSLs are just for show. big desk GREAT! get yourself a nice yamaha or studiomaster and spend the difference on a nice big comfy chair. Lots of flashing lights doesnt make them good paul. Trust me, I have worked on a few SSL's. I always revert to the studiomaster with the built in effects

I'll Studiomaster ya!
    However I approve of built in FX!! And don't be dissin Yamaha, maker of some classic stuff!!

• Advertisement

I've worked on G,J,K and AWS and I also do maintenance on consoles and gear. Trust me the Mackie stuff is not made in the same place!!!

And a mackie doesn't sound as good as a SSL. Have a big board doesn't always equal better sound. I've seen enough people make ****e mixes on big boards and great people doing good mixes in the box too. The tools help but you still need to know what your doing with them!!!

But I love mixing on the SSL :)

Advertisement