Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and muzzles?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

are there any dogs that require a muzzle in public? Namely a Dog De Bordeaux?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

From: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs

Rules relating to certain breeds of dog

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442 of 1998) impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:

American Pit Bull Terrier
    English Bull Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Dobermann Pinscher
    German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Japanese Akita
    Japanese Tosa
    Bandog
    The rules state that:

These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

thanks wyk for the info as i thought of a another breed that comes to my head is the boxer.
    Ive seen owners walking them and have muzzles on them and i said to myself that im sure they dont require to be muzzled?
    Theres no law stating boxers is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 backonceagain

aww ****ing class! thanks a lot for that!

The cops stopped me today and started giving me **** about it. Saying I should have a muzzle on it. I asked if they knew what breed it was and they didn't. i've seen that list before and I knew for a fact that DDB's weren't on it! spastics have nothing else to do with their time but piss me off

backonceagain;55974857
    The cops stopped me today
    cops?
    you mean guardi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

perhaps you should carry a copy of the list of Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 and present the copy to the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

davey180 wrote: »
    thanks wyk for the info as i thought of a another breed that comes to my head is the boxer.
    Ive seen owners walking them and have muzzles on them and i said to myself that im sure they dont require to be muzzled?
    Theres no law stating boxers is there?

Maybe the boxer isn't dog friendly and that's why it's muzzled? I know people who muzzle their dogs simply because it's the safest thing to do - not because of their breed. :D

hadook wrote: »
    Maybe the boxer isn't dog friendly and that's why it's muzzled? I know people who muzzle their dogs simply because it's the safest thing to do - not because of their breed. :D
    So it would mean from the list that boxers dont have to be muzzled?

So it would mean from the list that boxers dont have to be muzzled?

Nope, boxers aren't required to be muzzled by law. Afaik, they were on the list at one stage but were removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

hadook wrote: »
    I know people who muzzle their dogs simply because it's the safest thing to do - not because of their breed. :D

I muzzle one of mine because he isn't very comfortable with kids popping up out of nowhere trying to pet him, now when they see him they assume he's vicious and keep away :D

I have a cute spaniel x who's a full on kid magnet. I also have a great dane so what usually happens is:

Small child goes "dooooggggiieeee" at top of it's lungs and makes a beeline for cute spaniel while said spaniel looks slightly concerned. Dane sticks her head up to see what the fuss is about and small child stops abruptly, goes "OH!" and looks like this -> :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cops?
    you mean guardi!

For someone who claims to be an ex Garda you would think you could spell Gardaí!

Some people I know muzzle their dogs for many reasons, eating rubbish, rat poison etc... Boxers and other short muzzle dogs can swallow golf balls and stones really easily.

lightening wrote: »
    For someone who claims to be an ex Garda you would think you could spell Gardaí!

Some people I know muzzle their dogs for many reasons, eating rubbish, rat poison etc... Boxers and other short muzzle dogs can swallow golf balls and stones really easily.
    sorry about my spelling i have fat fingers!
    GARDA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My granny used to muzzle her Daschund after it took a few chunks out of

the neighbours GSD! daschund.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i wish westies where on that list /.I have gsds and they are great not aggressive a neighbour has a westie that takes chunks out of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Assumption is a killer isnt it?
    Dog De Bordeaux does look a little like a Bull Mastiff, Boxer combo is face.

Beautiful dogs by the way!

I would just photo copy your dogs papers, keep them in a waterproof pouch with a copy of dangers dogs list, dont get your back up about it though.

If your dog is under control you have little or nothing to worry about.

I have 2 labs who look like the most gentle creatures but my God do they look vicious when anyone tries to get into our garden/home that isnt invited!

Fortunately for me I have met the city's ISPCA warden who knows if he see's them out and about that they have gotten out by accident and knows I would be worried for their well being.

this what they look like.
    1100097.jpg
    i think they are gorgeous
    If i had one id call him "Gorgeous George"!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

arent they beautiful!

then again I am biased about all dogs lol

Advertisement