Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tires

Options
  • 18-05-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hey I was lookin to get my uncle a new set of tires cause the ones he got with his bike are a bit thin.

The size are 700 x 34,

Is there any tires i can get him that are puncture resistant like the armadillos?

Also,

Can he use a smaller tire than a 700 x 34?

I'm not too up on what can and cant be used.

Cheers,
    Ben.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

700 is the rim size (diameter) and 34mm is the width of the tire.

the rim will take any 700 tire (up to the limit where it starts to rub against the frame). so anything that says 700x?? will work

armadillos are very puncture resistant and are available from 23mm up to 35mm (iirc). there's also continental gatorskinz (bit faster/morecomfortable but a bit less puncture resistant) and schwalbe marathon plus which are damn near bullet proof (but quite heavy).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

700x34 is a bit *thin*? Holy crap! I went from 28 to 23 since 28 was too THICK! :D 700 wheels are typically for road bikes, which would be thin wheels generally. You're already looking at almost 1.5" tyres, which is heading for mountain bike territory. What's he looking to do on this bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

chicoben- by thin do you mean they have worn thin, or the tyres are actually too narrow? I have a pair of 700x35 Schwalbe Marathons that would definately fit (they would be around the same size) if you are interested. These are a high-quality tyre with a reflective strip around the sidewall.

Tyres are perfect condition, only used for 10 days to do the Camino (I went back to my general use 700x23s after.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

No no ha sorry, i meant thin as in the quality of the tire is thin, not the size, a smaller size would even be better. Thanks for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have Specialized All-Conditions Armadillo 700x28 on my Specialized Sirrus hybrid. They should work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just put an armadillo on my bike (front wheel was robbed on Friday night), and it's grand -I'm a pretty big fan of them (had 'em on the last bike too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

blorg wrote: »
    chicoben- by thin do you mean they have worn thin, or the tyres are actually too narrow? I have a pair of 700x35 Schwalbe Marathons that would definately fit (they would be around the same size) if you are interested. These are a high-quality tyre with a reflective strip around the sidewall.

Tyres are perfect condition, only used for 10 days to do the Camino (I went back to my general use 700x23s after.)

If OP is not interested, I am! I can PM you my details. 28" wheels we're talking here, right? I'm off on the camino in a couple of weeks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

blorg, PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Yeah go for it.

Advertisement