Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heading off for A Jetta!

Options
  • 19-05-2008 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Changing the wifes car in a month, and we're looking at the VW Jetta. Drove one on Saturday, and they're grand. The price for the base model 2007 Jetta was 21,000.

When I was online then to compare it to UK prices, there's a huge difference, even taking the VRT into account. £9,500 approx for the car. VRT is just over €4000 so that makes it €16500 cleared.

Good value or too good to be true???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

You'll prob get them cheaper in the UK alright.

There's very few sales of Jetta's in the UK as in general, there are very poor sales of small saloon cars in the UK.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson ripping the Jetta apart on Top Gear. Its essentially just a Golf with a boot so I dunno how Jezza could give the Golf such a good review and the Jetta such a bad review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

yeah i saw that actually but any mechanic I asked recommended them as they're cheaper than the passat and they're rarely in because of breakdown. Corolla's were also highly recommended to me. I think herself is bigtime into the Jetta though so that looks to be the winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Jetta's predecessor, the Bora, was one of the few modern VWs that actually was reliable.

The OP needs to investigate the CO2 emissions of the various VW models and then decide whether to buy now or in July though(which can be found in the first link in my sig).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

jetta and the golf arent Bad cars but there not good either, so what if they dont break down, the golf is Very heavy for its seize and seariously lacks in power, the gti model takes off like a steam rain towwing bertie aherns retirement fund.

the jetta is ok but i doubt you can get the 3.2 engine which made it so famous ( the R32 engine used in the golf )

So, I did it a few weeks ago and parked the car until after July 1st - the VRT came down by €1300 by doing that. I got the 1.9 TDI Jetta - emissions are 140 g/km so the road tax also comes down.

All in all, I saved a few quid by doing what I did. The car was £9495, paid £9000 cash for it. It's an ex-Hertz rental with 17000 miles on the clock.

Taking everything into account the entire cost of the car, travel to and from the uk, vrt and all other related charges the cost came to €15860.

Think I did ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

E92 wrote: »
    The Jetta's predecessor, the Bora, was one of the few modern VWs that actually was reliable.

The Jetta has been around for Donkeys:
    800px-VW_Jetta_rear_20070518.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

Magicman1 wrote: »
    So, I did it a few weeks ago and parked the car until after July 1st - the VRT came down by €1300 by doing that. I got the 1.9 TDI Jetta - emissions are 140 g/km so the road tax also comes down.

All in all, I saved a few quid by doing what I did. The car was £9495, paid £9000 cash for it. It's an ex-Hertz rental with 17000 miles on the clock.

Taking everything into account the entire cost of the car, travel to and from the uk, vrt and all other related charges the cost came to €15860.

Think I did ok?

That seems pretty good Magicman1:cool:, Was it the S, the SE or sport model you got?
    I am thinking of heading over for a Passat, was there any chance they would have knocked more off the price?

It's the Jetta 1.9 S TDI. To be honest I'm delighted with it. A tad jealous that it's herself that will be driving it. It's met black with nice alloys, spotless car.

Regarding the price, I went to Arnold Clark motors in Liverpool and while he was claiming that they were a motorstore and the price you see is the price you pay, I was still able to get the price down. I understand that this wouldn't be the case in somewhere like car giant. He definately wasn't prepared to knock any more money off! Think he was majorly pissed off with the £500 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Magicman1 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that road tax was still tied to the old system unless the car was registered for the first time anywhere in 08? IE that you would be paying new VRT and old motor tax?

Before I went the VRT was supposed to be over €4000, I registered it a few weeks ago and it was €2757, nice surprise considering I was ready to write a cheque for the 4 grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was under the impression that road tax was still tied to the old system unless the car was registered for the first time anywhere in 08? IE that you would be paying new VRT and old motor tax?

Yes the road tax stays on the engine size based system for pre 08 cars.

Advertisement