Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Prime Time - Shooting/licensing to be featured Tuesday night...

Options
  • 19-05-2008 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

I'm told that RTE's Prime Time is to feature a report on Superintendents refusing to issue licences for pistols/full bore rifles etc.
    AFAIK, they conducted interviews at the Midlands range & filmed there. Some of the crew had a few shots there too :eek:.

Now, it's not known how shooting will be portrayed - are Supers wasting tax payers' money or are they right i.e. the judiciary is wrong to issue licences for these "weapons".
    I'm led to believe the former is the case.

Tuesday 20th May (tomorrow night) at 9.30pm on RTE1.............might be worth a watch :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Should be interesting. Cheers for the heads-up.

Oh, this will be interesting - on Wednesday morning every layperson who watched the show will be able to speak with the greatest authority on the legal use of firearms.

Not trying to tar all the public with the same brush, but opinions will be coloured by what is usually regarded as a reasonably objective program.

Of course, if it comes out in favour of ourselves, so much the better! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Thankfully Miriam O'Callaghan doesn't allow the politicians too long on their soap box.

I am tempted to send an email to the show to point out

[1] Legally Held Firearms are not used in Crime so that there is no inferred association.

[2] Olympic disciplines form a very small % of the shooting disciplines in Ireland have no real input in the centrefire disciplines so that it does not become the focus of the sport side of it as that would be a mistake.

[3] Supers in conjunction with Clubs decide who gets a pistol license, regardless of the recent court decisions. If the club does not sanction the individual to give them membership then they will never get to the super. If the Super decided he's not getting the license then he doesn't. The only caveat to that is that, now, the super is not to take the calibre of the firearm into consideration when issuing a license. There is still the question of demonstrable use which should keep the manners on most people. If their range cannot handle something or they have no demonstrable use for it then the calibre may come into consideration. i.e. nobody has a use and no range will allow a .50 or a 20mm so nobody will get one.

We would like, but it will not happen, for the discussion to focus on Supers who deny licenses without reason and waste court time so a judge will "make" them make a decision. However, the firearms issue is too juicy and with some politicians having just got a new job - and some who didn't - I fear we will have a very mis-informed debate.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »
    This should be interesting...

interesting in the "their going to paint us in a really poor light" way

I'm a, glass is twice as big as it needs to be, kinda guy

• Advertisement

I'm generally a "someone's stealing my pint" sort of guy, but given the work of the FCP and how closely they've been working with the DoJ and Gardai, there's a reasonable chance that this could be even-handed.

fingers crossed....

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Does anyone know who's going to be on the panel? The light in which shooting sports is seen will depend on weather the panelists are friends or foe's. I would hope it goes well but i would'nt like to bet my life on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Right on Bananaman, send a reasonable e-mail outlining your concerns now. We'll all be whinging about it afterwards if they take the approach of "OMG DANGEROUS GLOCK ASSAULT MACHINE WMDS THINK OF THE CHILDREN", but maybe we can persuade them now to take a more balanced approach.

Was talking to one of the chaps from the midlands about it - it sounds like the footage filmed was good stuff - .308s, various fullbore pistols, all straight target shooting, nothing looking too dodgy. However, it's remarkable what biased editing can do. However I'd take care with any emails sent that they be as reasonable and level-headed as is possible for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Abit late guys&gals to do anything about it now.If it is going out tomrrow night,nowt can be done about footage unless there is a seriously libellous or other inaccurate piece of footage. And the chance of seeing the footage now is nil..Emails and whatnot will be ignored or,"lost in transmission" or didnt get it in my inbox until after the shoew..

Having met and had some dealings in my travels some of the above mentioned crew of that show,and seen their performances and tactics to get information,in some very underhanded ways too,not to mind one of the hired in camera crew who is totally anti gun.I wouldn't be optimistic about this being fair and balanced.I would like to think that this will be good publicity for us ,but with TV and current affairs crowds "it bleeds it leads" is the watchword.:(

Actually,quite amazed at Midland for allowing them into the range in the first place.In this case IMO it will be better letting sleeping dogs lie.Somone should be aware of how media can backfire your best intentions of showing somthing in a positive light.The most innocent thing can be made look nasty.
    Very much the glass is empty on this one.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I disagree with you there Grizzly. Firstly we've had very positive showings on RTE (both on OB Sport) from shoots in the Midlands, secondly there's absolutely no benefit in closing doors because that gives the impression of us 'hiding' and therefore we've obviously got something to hide.

Sure, stuff can be edited and made to look bad, but if there's nothing to show then you'll get speculation which will always be bad.

Agree on the emails though. At this late stage, it won't achieve anything and without any idea of the footage or slant, you'd be emailing in the dark. Far better to wait until after the show and get a right of reply or at least a promise of a more balanced showing (if that's what's required) at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm just surprised it took them 4 years to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I would hope its going to be a balanced approach regarding why are legitimate sportsmen being obstructed when they try to license a firearm for legitimate competition.

But have fears it is going to play on the sensationalism which can occur in the press as they feed on peoples fears. Anyone from midlands in the know??

Indeed RR ,there is nothing like being "open",but "open on our terms".
    There is nothing stopping us from doing a documentary on shooting in Ireland showing it in a pro light,on our terms as well.There are plenty of small film production companies in Ireland who would do this project,and would get it on RTE,no problem either.I know the dirs of one,and they are approachable.PM me if intrested

What would be better.A hour of a programme showing Irish shooters and gunowners as safe&harmless in their multi faceted sportsor a half hour of soundbytes with somthing possibly with an agenda??,and then a half hour of talking heads,not discussing any points,but trying to one upmanship each other,by interruptions and talking over each other,egged on by the presenter?

:cool:Had a chat today with one of the folks involved,and who posts here as well,and shall stay nameless [unless he/she wants to reveal themselves.;)]

The Good news;the anti gun person on the crew was apprently not present at this filming.
    The Bad news[depending on outlook] there was some trickery attempted by the director [an Italianio] of the filming and interviewer of those involved.

The directiore wanted dramatic shots of mags being slammed into pistol butts ala any good action movie.And was told there is no reason for this as the targets are paper and not likely to run away from being shot at.:D
    Nor is there any reason to do this as this damages ones mags and firearm as well.
    Interviewer referring to guns as weapons and being politely reinformed that they are firearms,and how to know the difference.The 9mm "inaccruacy ,unsuitable for competition and civvie ownership"chestnut should be put to bed most intrestingly.IF it is shown.

Those interviewed were breifed to watch for trick questions from PT.All in all,our side sounds like we handled our end of the log well enough.So kudos to those involved in Midland on this;):D

Now,the thing is will this be shown fair and square or will it be chopped with the good bits on the cutting room floor,and the rest being stuffed to fit an ,or somones agenda??

One thing for sure,good,bad or indifferent.Watch the anti gun/hunting /shooting/fieldsports and anything remotely involved with"animal rights" brigade usual suspects now wearing their anti gun hats spew their misinformed emotive mass mailings to all the local and national press by the weekend to piggyback this issue.:rolleyes:

By 22:00 tomrrow we will be smarter.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Following a phone call from one of our club members yesterday.

Member has two shotguns, two full-bore rifles, one rim fire rifle, two pistols, all are fully licensed. He is a member of our club and is a licensed deer stalker.

He has made an application to his local Garda station for an air rifle to control vermin (Rats) around his house (He lives in the countryside in Offally). The air rifle he wishes to purchase is the same type as one would see at a carnival.

He has received a reply from his Local Garda Inspector that under no circumstances would he issue a license for an air rifle.

This has to be a complete contradiction of the results of the two courts cases we have being hearing about where the Judge stated that you license the person not the gun.

The department of Justice should be able to step in here and sort this out before in ends up wasting more tax payer’s money on a court case.

I would like to see a question on the above been asked of the Garda representative on the Prime Time show tonight, can one e-mail question into to the show.

Sikamick wrote: »
    I would like to see a question on the above been asked of the Garda representative on the Prime Time show tonight, can one e-mail question into to the show.

No, the show is pre-recorded.

Merging threads and stickying for today only.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

rrpc wrote: »
    No, the show is pre-recorded.

Does anyone know who will be on the show and will there be someone from the shooting fraternity on it.

No, bar the fact that they did a spot in Midlands and presumably interviewed people there.

Because Prime Time is a news show and because it deals in potentially controversial issues, you can never be sure what is going to be on the program before it airs. I've heard of it being edited at the last minute because of legal issues.

As a result, there's very little information about a show before it airs. Sometimes on Morning Ireland there's a preview of it. Anyone listen to Morning Ireland this morning?

You can try,but it has a Hell of a way to go before it will reach Caroline's or Marks script.Most of this stuff is now set in concrete as to what the researchers have produced and what the script will be.

• Advertisement

Anyone watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I will record the late night repeat. Sky+ is working overtime on other stuff. :(

It's going to be late on the show: bullying and cancer care being the first two items.

Not boding well: "The increasing power and availability of guns in Ireland" was the tag line as far as I can recall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

rrpc wrote: »
    It's going to be late on the show: bullying and cancer care being the first two items.

Not boding well: "The increasing power and availability of guns in Ireland" was the tag line as far as I can recall.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing, not good at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yep lads. Opening lines don`t look like its going to be a good view point of shooting sports:mad:

"Increasing number of firearms and power" bat down the hatches for this one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, let's take a look, just sat down to watch it now, but that doesn't sound good alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

chem wrote: »
    "Increasing number of firearms and power" bat down the hatches for this one:o

Groan ........ I suspect Paddy Power has just stopped taking bets on this report being balanced. :(

Wonderful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

We are making a segment for Primetime about the court cases involving Superintendents and firearms applications and the waste of public funds could we come and get some input from you for the show........

Sure come on over and we will show you around....

Primetime
    Tonight we look at the increasing number of increasingly powerful guns in Ireland!

Positive coverage I think not !

Dvs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

Any word if someone from the shooting world might be on the interview panel or is just going to be paranoid antis

Advertisement