Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Prime Time - Shooting/licensing to be featured Tuesday night...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Obviously...............sure wasn't he expressing a differing opinion:rolleyes:

There are two types of opinion; informed and uniformed, his were definately the latter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There are two types of opinion; informed and uniformed, his were definately the latter

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

00:29 - TC: “Well I’m shocked not just by the numbers, but also by the nature of these weapons. They are by definition: military”

And what exactly does that have to do with anything. Shotguns make up the largest % of firearms owned in legally in Ireland. Guess who use shotguns, the military. Why was TC not so "shocked" by this? Are cars and planes military by definition just because they are used in the army too? Complete nonsense over the top sh1te trying to scare the masses.
    02:06 – TC: “They’re not toys, they’re lethal weapons, and I think with power some of these weapons are you know, the equivalent, in terms of firepower that would be used by insurgent groups in Iraq”

Lovely associating us with insurgents in Iraq. That really paints us in a positive light for sure.
    04:23 – TC: ”The Steyr Mannlicher has a kill range of anything up to one and a half miles. And.. it’s designed to – if you’ll excuse the phrase – designed to drop a target of anything up to 200kgs. I would consider it an inappropriate tool for most of the kind of hunting targets that you would have in this country”

Except red deer who often weigh over 200kg. Some nice facts there TC way to show your complete lack of knowledge or at least confirm the need for calibers as big as .308

07:04 – TC: “We have troops in Chad at the moment, we’ve troops you know, in a number of different countries who’ll be carrying, you know, 9mm semi-automatic pistols. They’ve a high rate of fire, you can, you know, you can discharge seven to eight maybe nine rounds out of one of these weapons in, you know, two seconds, three seconds flat. Em, they’re a particularly dangerous weapon.”

A weapon is something used to hurt people. Don't know many people here with weapons, only sporting firearms. Again pistol shooters are owners of "particularly dangerous weapons" real positive portrayal there. Also the 9mm is one of the smaller popular fullbore pistols.
    08:16 – TC: “I think that with those kind of numbers, eh, present, inevitably we’ll have a situation where a weapon will be taken and used inappropriately, for example in a school, or in a public place, by somebody who ought not to have had access to that weapon.”

DO you really think the public care if its the license holder or their disgruntled son go postal? In Dr. TC's "expert" opinion its only a matter of time before a school shooting thanks to legally held firearms. So so positive.

Look between his factual errors, associating us with insurgents and saying its only a matter of time before a legally held firearm is used in a public shooting I think its fair to say he sh1t all over the shooting community. Not one of his points in the show was fair, reasonable or sensible. Now this could have been due to the dire production/editing of the RTE, TC's opinions or a mix of both

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got my letter of acknowledgement from the BCC in the mail today.The usual std response letter.Have fwded to RTE,21 days to reply, all complainent names will be made public blah blah.
    Intrestingly tho,did anyone notice as to who is on the Bcc complaints board? Miriam O Callaghan an EX Prime Time presenter...
    This could be intresting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's got to be a formal procedure Grizzly, that's a good thing.
    It also means that even if the complaint is not upheld, it still goes on record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Intrestingly tho,did anyone notice as to who is on the Bcc complaints board? Miriam O Callaghan an EX Prime Time presenter...

She should be made stand down in this situation. Severe conflict of interest here. :mad:

Miriam O Callaghan an EX Prime Time presenter...

Miriam O Callaghan is a current prime time presenter is she not. She was presenting the night of the show as far as I can recall.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Miriam O Callaghan is a current prime time presenter is she not. She was presenting the night of the show as far as I can recall.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Time
    Prime Time is currently presented by one or two people from the following panel:

* Miriam O'Callaghan
    * Mark Little
    * Donagh Diamond
    * Keelin Shanley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Johnathon Swift

Got my letter of acknowledgement from the BCC in the mail today.The usual std response letter.Have fwded to RTE,21 days to reply, all complainent names will be made public blah blah.

I think if you check your facts again, you will find the Miriam O Callaghan listed as a member of the BCC is actually a Health Board Official:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I think if you check your facts again, you will find the Miriam O Callaghan listed as a member of the BCC is actually a Health Board Official:o

:confused:Thats it then all correspondance will be sitting on a trolley somewhere for the next year, it will be read then forwarded as acomplaint to TV3. Shortly after they will realize their mistake, apologize to the shooting community and hire consultants to prepare a report on how this all happened.:p

• Advertisement

I would think that if the Miriam that we all know of was on the BCC it would be a bit like a fox gaurding the hen house.

I would love to hear RTÉ's explanation for the story.

Well, I suppose the BCC could be falling into the same trap as Prime Time did by using an "expert" on media and current affairs for their board,as Prime Time did by consulting an "expert" on all things that go Bang in the Army and shooting world?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well, I suppose the BCC could be falling into the same trap as Prime Time did by using an "expert" on media and current affairs for their board,as Prime Time did by consulting an "expert" on all things that go Bang in the Army and shooting world?

I think we've established that it's a different person Grizzly.

btw, the BCC are very quick to look at complaints. If you look at their website, the complaints and resolutions from April 2008 are already up there.

Those are for mostly programs from Feb this year. I would expect our complaints to appear around August/September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

JS, to be entirely fair, Clonan either made a complete mess of the interview, or he was edited to appear to make a complete mess of the interview. Without knowing the questions, as rrpc says, we can't know which happened. What we can know is he portrayed the shooting community, willingly or through editing, in a bad light, and that doesn't go down well. And in Grizzly's defence, if I saw the name Mirriam O'Callaghan on the commission for complaints related to Irish broadcasting, I wouldn't be too long in making the leap myself that it's probably the same one as he thought.

I went through every one of Clonan's contributions to the show. Each and every one of them is negative in some way or other. Again, every single point he made was negative with regards civilian ownership.

Are you claiming the Tom Clonan interview would leave a viewer, who knows nothing of sporting firearms, with a positive outlook on legally held firearms here in Ireland?

No insulting other members folks. Not even in "self-defence". Play the ball, etc.

I think we've established that it's a different person Grizzly.

btw, the BCC are very quick to look at complaints. If you look at their website, the complaints and resolutions from April 2008 are already up there.[/quote]

Well it's abit hard to establish anything here somtimes.JS trumpets that it is a Health Board Officer,and thats all hokey dokey..Somone please explain how we have a HBO on the BCC with the same name,and how they came to this conclusion?IOW some proof please?

have no problems with the BCC and their procedures,even if PT Miriam O Callaghan is on the board.So long as she is impartial.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well it's abit hard to establish anything here somtimes.JS trumpets that it is a Health Board Officer,and thats all hokey dokey..Somone please explain how we have a HBO on the BCC with the same name,and how they came to this conclusion?IOW some proof please?

From the BCC website:
    bcc.ie wrote:
    The Members of the Commission are:

Mr. Michael MacGrath, Chairman; Senior Counsel
    Mr. Joe Brady; Insurance Broker & Auctioneer
    Mr. John Donohoe; Journalist & Editor
    Dr. Eucharia Meehan; Head of Research Programmes, HEA
    Ms. Susan Nolan; Solicitor
    Ms. Miriam O'Callaghan; Health Board Official
    Mr. Seán O'Sullivan; MD Seabrook Research Ltd.
    Mr. David Tighe; CEO Limerick New 95FM

Guys,
    I am either going blind or senile or all two.I cant find that list on the BCC site.:eek:
    However if it is there well and good.Sorry for the confusion caused.:o

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Guys,
    I am either going blind or senile or all two.I cant find that list on the BCC site.:eek:
    However if it is there well and good.Sorry for the confusion caused.:o

Click on the link in my post and scroll down. It's in a nasty low-contrast colour so it would be easy to miss.

The story surfaced again today, albiet in a far less sensational form, in the Sunday Business Post:
    Dramatic rise in handgun ownership
    01 June 2008 By John Burke

Almost 1,600 handguns are held by licensed private gun owners, just three years after firearms lobby groups successfully challenged the state’s refusal to issue pistol permits.

Figures obtained from the gardai show that there are 1,596 handguns licensed in the Republic. Details were not available on the calibre or barrel length of the handguns, or what proportion are specifically designed for target shooting or other use.

The total number of licensed guns in the state is more than 218,670. More than 167,000 of those are shotguns - of which over 29,000 are licensed to an owner of another shotgun. There are also more than 49,500 rifles licensed in the state.

The number of handguns being licensed may rise further, following a recent High Court judgment. The National Association of Regional Game Councils (NARGC) said the judgment given by Ms Justice Maureen Harding Clarke last month ‘‘settles once and for all’’ issues around handgun licensing.

Under the 1925 Firearms Act, a Garda superintendent must ‘‘satisfy himself that the applicant may be permitted to possess, use and carry the firearm without posing a danger to public safety or the peace’’.

The NARGC successfully argued that some Garda superintendents had interpreted this ‘‘for the purposes of resisting a firearms licence application, as meaning that the superintendent is entitled to take into account the calibre, style or type of firearm which is being sought, as in some way forming part of his reasoning concerning public safety and the peace’’.

The NARGC has helped people in 70 judicial review cases against the non-issue of firearms licences since 2002, and has won all of the cases which have been completed to date.

Got to nip that word "Lobby" in the bud, the so called "Gun Lobby" in the states is nothing like our respective associations.

+1

Totally agree. There is nothing like the NRA here, nor do we want such an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The story surfaced again today, albiet in a far less sensational form, in the Sunday Business Post:

Relatively good reporting in that it is not trying to promote any agenda.

Front page, below the fold on a Sunday broadsheet. Very High visibility.

Generally speaking, I thought it was ok bar the bit which says
    1,596 handguns licensed in the Republic. Details were not available on the calibre or barrel length of the handguns, or what proportion are specifically designed for target shooting or other use.

It leaves people (by people I mean the readership of a Sunday Broadsheet, who probably never even knew that there were legally held handguns in Ireland) thinking that there are "other use" and what they could be. That is slightly irresponsible on the behalf of the guys who wrote the piece.

There is no purpose for a handgun in Ireland other than target shooting, which means that every one of them, whether it is black and plastic or looks like a McDonalds straw attached to a pencil box, is for target shooting and nothing else.

B'Man

Bond-007 wrote: »
    +1

Totally agree. There is nothing like the NRA here, nor do we want such an organisation.

Damn right ! Much better groups are GOA and JPFO!!!:D:pac:

What has barrel lenghth got to do with anything as well?

Much better groups are GOA and JPFO!!!:D:pac:
    Should the day ever arrive that we get a group like either of those two collections of nutjobs, I'll happily take an angle grinder to all the bits of my firearms that are left, dump the lot in a bucket in front of my local F.O. and run as far and as fast away from the sport as my little legs will carry me, and I'll buy a bow and arrow and take up archery.

See Below did my Bit, hope they print it now

write in relation to the above article.
    I am a keen shooter and partake in a recognised Olympic sport both with regards to clay pigeon shooting (shotgun) and rifle shooting (rifle). Your headline is sensational to say the least, and implies people are running about carrying firearms, I am at a loss as to your sentence "for target shooting or other use". You can only get a firearm in Ireland for sporting purposes, and only after proving to The Gardai that you have a good reason to possess one.

What other use would you have for a legally held fire arm?

We, the sporting public have undergone nemerous checks by the Gardai to have and use a firearm in the sporting context and then and only then are we allowed use them in a controlled and safe manner be it in a field or on an appropriate target range. I would also like to point out that there is no lobby in Ireland with regards to firearms, only the representative bodies of various sporting shooters, They represent us at Governement level particulalry at the FCP (Fire arms Consultative Panel) where our Associations liase with both the Dept of Justice and An Garda Siochana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 F-ClassWillie

What does that hint at or other use. , I was scratching me brains to figure what this was getting at, the media dont leave the door ajar unless it's to stir you know what. Home defense maybe but that applies to all firearms not just pistols, humane killer. More headline grabbing by pushing
    the boat out to see what catches and sticks:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Some people, believe it or not are getting licences for handguns for dispatching deer.

That may be the source of the 'other use' phrase.

Advertisement