Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Prime Time - Shooting/licensing to be featured Tuesday night...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The Swiss run their military on a militia structure. There's a small professional cadre while the bulk of the troops would be a sort of an obligitional National Guard / Reserve Defence force with a good standard of training. One of the aspects of their ability to stage a potential rapid response to treaths against the territory is that their militia men keep their personal rifle at home.

So here we are, a European country where nearly every adult male citizen has access to an assault rifle and are they mass murdering eachother ? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

The swiss also have to go for a few weeks to the military every year for a certain few years for further training. The Israelies based there military on this structure.

But the point remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

G17 wrote: »
    My complaint was upheld, oh wait now, no it wasn't.
    Yup, same story. I'm rather miffed at the proclamation that the program was fair when in the same breath, the statement is made that it didn't matter that the FCP wasn't mentioned and noone from the DoJ was interviewed because it's down to the broadcaster what they put into it.
    Doesn't seem a particularly fair judgment to me.
    Rest assured, I for one will complain each and every time there is a report on my national station that I believe is unfair to us competing shooters.
    Ditto. The day we stop is the day they can say "look, noone complained, so obviously we're right"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Surprise, surprise, the complaints weren't upheld :rolleyes:

Gee bunny, was yours not upheld either?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Gee bunny, was yours not upheld either?

As you well know I didn't bother. I live in the real world and don't bother tiliting at windmills.

Is this the "it's better to never bother your backside than to try if there's a chance you'll fail" school of thought or the "wait for someone to try and fail and then step in and gloat because you never tried at all" school? It's so hard to tell them apart these days...

Definately
    "wait for someone to try and fail and then step in and gloat because you never tried at all" school?

:p

Are you actually surprised ? Seriously ? You're not that naive

Are you actually surprised ? Seriously ? You're not that naive
    Bunny, let's take a brief cynical look at this shall we?
    Prime Time does a horrendous hatchet job on us.
    Some of us complain, loudly, to the right body and loudly to the press as well.
    We lose the BCC appeal.
    We gain coverage in the letters pages of several papers and a full-page promotional piece in the Irish Times at a point where everyone was buying the papers because of the Lisbon Treaty referendum. I'll remind you, we've never been able to get into the Times before without having someone like Derek Burnett actually shooting in the Olympics and in first place as they went to press.
    Cynically, then, we lost where you would say we were always going to lose, but because we tried, we won big elsewhere and opened doors to future stuff.

Personally, mind you, I find it hard to always think that cynically. It's a character weakness I suppose....

Ooooooooooooooooooh, a page in irish Times, and what readership have they ?

9 o'clock news and Prime Time are after convincing Joe Public that there are people out there with big bad guns and it's only a matter of time before someone kills little Johnny in his school yard, and you think one article in the Irish Times will make everything better ?

• Advertisement

And did I say it made it all better? Or that it was a complete success?
    No.
    I said it was better to try than to sit on our backsides.
    You sat on your backside and did nothing: end result, nothing.
    We didn't. We didn't fully succeed since we didn't get an 8-minute slot on the work of the FCP into the next Prime Time show, but we did get positive press coverage during days with very high circulation (the Times has a readership of 336,000 and has the highest reputation of any daily newspaper). End result: better than nothing.

Oh, and by the way, I don't have a 9mm or a .40cal or a .308. If they all get banned tomorrow, do you know what I lose from my shooting? Nothing. You'd lose your own old .40cal if you hadn't traded it in already. And here was me thinking that the motto of everyone else was "let's all stand together", and I was the pariah for asking that we stand together all the time instead of just when there's a fecal sandwich that needs eating...

..........You sat on your backside and did nothing: end result, nothing....

I did and I didn't make things any worse either.

Wow.
    And you're the lads we're supposed to stand beside and risk our sport with so everyone can keep their stuff? Who won't even write a feckin' letter to protest a hatchet job like that? And who'll merrily take swipes at us for even trying, even though we get a lot of positive PR out of it in places that were previously inaccessible to us?

For the record, what were you ever risking ?

I didn't ask/elect you to fight for me, so don't give me all this hero ****e.......

What? Hero ****e indeed. I didn't do it because I wanted thanks from you, I did it because it was the right thing to do. The point was that even though it was stuff you're interested in that was at risk, you did nothing and now you're sniping from the sidelines at those who at least tried, simply because they didn't have a complete success. If more people thought like that in this sport, we wouldn't need hatchet jobs like Prime Time's, we'd be more than able to shut the sport down ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

SOMETHINKS NEVER CHANGE PS it is great to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i really dont think that much damage was done to the sport by that program, none of the media seem to have picked up on it. I think it went out the same time as Dustin in Belgrade.

The rants of the learned judge Charlton did far more damage, it will be interesting to see what happens if it is appealed to the supreme court.

What? Feck off bunny.

Does that constitute personal abuse ? :p

Sparks please ban yourself for 1 x week

Does that constitute personal abuse ? :p
    Sparks please ban yourself for 1 x week
    Bleh. It probably does. But you're winding me up something fierce here. I mean, I can stand trying something and failing, and I don't even feel too bad about folks who don't try in the first place, but if you don't try and you poke fun at those who do try but don't succeed, well, that's a bit unpleasant.

In the same way that falling into a slurry pit is unpleasant.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=klWluYoa0_8

Dedicated to you Sparks, from all us no good shooters who are sitting on our arses

• Advertisement

Bleh. It probably does. But you're winding me up something fierce here. I mean, I can stand trying something and failing, and I don't even feel too bad about folks who don't try in the first place, but if you don't try and you poke fun at those who do try but don't succeed, well, that's a bit unpleasant.

CAN I PRESS THE REPORT BUTTON :p

Really depends how much ****e is in it at the time :p

You'd have to dedicate that one to Grizzly as well I think bunny. And kerryman12 and the others who complained to the BCC, and then to RRPC and the lads in the midlands who gave up a day's work for the Tom Clonan piece in the Times, and you probably ought to include the folks who've done stuff in the past as well...
    Hmmm.
    You might need a longer song. Just, one thing - not the Mariah Carey cover, okay? That's a banning offence :D

thehair wrote: »
    CAN I PRESS THE REPORT BUTTON :p

;)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=klWluYoa0_8

Dedicated to you Sparks, from all us no good shooters who are sitting on our arses

yes here here for sparks and hello sparks;)

You'd have to dedicate that one to Grizzly as well I think bunny. And kerryman12 and the others who complained to the BCC, and then to RRPC and the lads in the midlands who gave up a day's work for the Tom Clonan piece in the Times, and you probably ought to include the folks who've done stuff in the past as well...
    Hmmm.
    You might need a longer song. Just, one thing - not the Mariah Carey cover, okay? That's a banning offence :D

OK.

To all those who ever fired a shot, no, I mean ever did anything to further the cause of Irish shooters.........................

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA&feature=related

:D:D:D:D:D:D

You might need a longer song. Just, one thing - not the Mariah Carey cover, okay? That's a banning offence :D[/QUOTE]

i agree sparks not the mariah carey cover HERO:) why it is not fair on
    poor old mariah carey:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Johnathon Swift

The objective of the complaint was to seek redress because we had been the victims of a highly prejudicial report etc etc

Surely that description has been found to be incorrect given the BCC ruling.

I think you'd also have to agree that Tom Clonan's article in the Irish Times subsequent to the Prime Time program highlighted the failings of the Prime Time report, since when he wasn't being edited by Prime Time, he was praising precisely the same people quite highly, etc etc

Mr Clonan like everyone else in a democracy is entitled to change their mind as often as they wish or to ride two horses in any race they choose. Or maybe he just couldn't stand the horranging from you guys. No matter what way you look at it, he said what he said on Primetime or do you think someone in RTE substituted or dubbed words in over his. I am sure that no matter how creative an editor is.......he could nto put words into a persons mouth.

I will, but at the moment the only copies of the BCC judgement available are the ones in the hands of the five people from here who submitted complaints, and the copy that's in the hands of RTE - the decisions haven't been released to anyone else by the BCC yet.

There are quite a few copies floating around the BCC or do you think they just keep one copy of everything.

By the way, which one of the five of us gave you our copy? And even Grizzly's copy doesn't have 28 pages in it.
    Hey, there's a thing - the reports that would be going to us wouldn't have that many pages. Only RTE's copy, since there were basicly five decisions in it, would be that long. Wierd, huh?

Or if you simply look at the bottom right hand corner of any page of Grizzly's JPEGS, you will see it gives the page number eg 1/6, 2/6 etc etc,
    so 5 complaints X 6 pages each makes 30 pages............AHHHHHHHH you got me .........5 X 6 makes 30 and not 28.........My maths is not what it used to be

Journey - Don't Stop believing mmmm in what:P i know the F C P:eek:

• Advertisement

Advertisement