Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Prime Time - Shooting/licensing to be featured Tuesday night...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

bunny if that is what you think mr swift is well
    press the report button steve:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I should, shouldn't I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Surely that description has been found to be incorrect given the BCC ruling.
    No, it would be incorrect in the BCC's eyes. I think you'll find most shooters would disagree with the notion that it was a fair and balanced program.
    Mr Clonan like everyone else in a democracy is entitled to change their mind as often as they wish or to ride two horses in any race they choose.
    If indeed that is what he did - and if it is, the Prime Time piece is utterly undermined because RTE themselves said that he was the foundation of their technical information. And if the technical information is incorrect to the degree that your expert is utterly reversing his position within a week or so of the piece airing, then the piece is obviously beyond saving.
    Or maybe he just couldn't stand the horranging from you guys.
    Yes, because we're a vicious pack of dogs with a single mind and a single purpose, whose derision knows only the bounds of bad 80's music...
    No matter what way you look at it, he said what he said on Primetime or do you think someone in RTE substituted or dubbed words in over his. I am sure that no matter how creative an editor is.......he could nto put words into a persons mouth.
    No, but he could cut four seconds of audio out of a fifty-second sentence to give a completely different meaning to someone's words.
    There are quite a few copies floating around the BCC or do you think they just keep one copy of everything. Or if you simply look at the bottom right hand corner of any page of Grizzly's JPEGS, you will see it gives the page number eg 1/6, 2/6 etc etc, so 5 complaints X 6 pages each makes 30 pages............AHHHHHHHH you got me .........5 X 6 makes 30 and not 28.........My maths is not what it used to be
    1. The BCC replied differently to each of us. What's in my letter is not even close to what's in Grizzly's. The only party that would have gotten 28 pages with every complaint in them would be RTE.
    2. The BCC has not yet released the decisions to the public. So only the five of us and RTE and the BCC have copies.

Look JS, I honestly don't mind RTE coming in here. But not under cover of anonymity, it's not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Johnathon Swift

So anyone who disagrees with your point of view is a troll.

Henry Ford and the Model T springs to mind...............you can have any colour as long as its black

Sparks wrote: »
    ....... whose derision knows only the bounds of bad 80's music.....

Thanks, I'm harmless really :D

Mr. Swift, why are you here, if not to troll ?

• Advertisement

why dont all the mods ask the medie to log on and have a debate on
    sports shooting :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Johnathon Swift

No, it would be incorrect in the BCC's eyes. I think you'll find most shooters would disagree with the notion that it was a fair and balanced program.

Thats why complaints to the BCC are judged on what is fair and balanced in the minds of most ordinary fair minded viewers/listeners.

Look JS, I honestly don't mind RTE coming in here. Wrong ....Sorry to disapoint

But not under cover of anonymity, it's not right.
    ........Sparks ??? would that be your christian name or your surname???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

hero

Sparks is our hero, sigh, he's dreamy.........

Ooo, I've come over all tingly! :D

I say thanks, you don't even have a real gun (i.e. a Glock) and you bothered your whole hole to say, "OI, PRIME TIME, NO!!"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Have you seen his photo. He's not that dreamy, nightmarey more like :D

You obviously haven't checked his profile :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You obviously haven't checked his profile :rolleyes:

aaaaaaa bunny you know mr swift is a newib give him a chance:D

Thats why complaints to the BCC are judged on what is fair and balanced in the minds of most ordinary fair minded viewers/listeners.
    Alas, in this case, they erred.
    Look JS, I honestly don't mind RTE coming in here.
    Wrong ....Sorry to disapoint
    Are you formally denying you work for RTE then?
    No, it'd be my nickname. Has been for the best part of two decades now. As explained in the profile. Which lists my real name, my photo and the town I live in...
    ...and RTE doesn't get to have anonymity in here either as (a) it's a large company with far more resources than the individual shooters in here, and (b) they have a vested interest in this particular case and it'd be dishonest of them not to disclose their identity if they were actively posting in this thread, don't you agree?

Go on Sparks reel 'em in ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

People who complained should be commended for doing so. There were obvious positives which resulted as a direct result of these boards.ie posters.
    There is only one way to protect the sporting rights of shooters and IMO that is to work hand in hand with the law and to stand together.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=klWluYoa0_8

Dedicated to you Sparks, from all us no good shooters who are sitting on our arses

That's actually worse than being rickrolled

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

For those who tried.:)

"It is hard to fail,but it is worse never to have tried to suceed."

For those who bitch and moan, but complain the loudest when it is impossible to do anything as the opportunity passed them by.

"The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who does nothing."

Theodore Roosevelt
    US President [and a great hunter and rifleman as well]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

The Swiss run their military on a militia structure. There's a small professional cadre while the bulk of the troops would be a sort of an obligitional National Guard / Reserve Defence force with a good standard of training. One of the aspects of their ability to stage a potential rapid response to treaths against the territory is that their militia men keep their personal rifle at home.

So here we are, a European country where nearly every adult male citizen has access to an assault rifle and are they mass murdering eachother ? No.

Well, they are a bit. The suicide rate by firearms is very high and murder/suicide of entire families all too frequent. To the point where the Swiss are reconsidering the militia set-up. Here is a link to a report from a German newspaper on the subject:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2709342,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

How does it relate to the general suicide rate ? Just wondering.

Meathstevie, I don't have those figures but I'll try to get something. I suspect the overall Swiss suicide rate is not that high. It makes sense that if a person is suicidial and they have access to an assualt rifle they will often turn to that as a means. The family murder aspect is more disturbing.

Last years news BTK.In reality it is less than a problem than the Swiss anti gun lobby was making it out to actually be.Somthing just to update on this.
    The Swiss came up with a somwhat sensible idea on this;they still allow the army to take their guns home,just not the 200 rounds sealed ammo can .That doesnt mean that you could not go out and buy civve ammo!
    Stats are appx 260 PA kill themselves with mil issue firearms and appx 20 murders. About 12 per one million of pouplation .
    Of course,it doesnt mention how many other Swiss off themselves,like OD on drugs,booze,hopping off cliffs etc.Just the usual look at America stats.:rolleyes:
    Appx 230,000 privately owned firearms in private hands 36% in private households
    Links www.alpecca.com/?p=451
    Prof Martin Killas of Lusane university stats.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

It's from Wikipedia so the usual caution is necessary but the figures come from the World Health Organisation. Switzerland is 19th on the world list for suicides generally and 2nd for firearm suicides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

If you mean 'last years news' in the sense that the issue is past then that is hardly so. The report is from last year alright but it states 'The process will take a while' and that a referedum will be required. Not something done overnight.

It's already been and done BTK.The Swiss dont faff around like like our shower in charge.;)
    Dunno about a referendum,it is a Govt decision on their military equipment,not a public debate on wether the Swiss soilder has a "right" to keep military issue equipment in his house.And they have left them keep the rifles,just not the military issued ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Getting a bit off topic here. We are not in Switzerland. Our soldiers havent been allowed to keep their rifles at home in a very long time. The FCA many moons ago. We are not keeping firearms for Defence purposes in this country. As we all know, that is not allowed. They are only for shooting sports. Lets keep it that way. Lets not rise to the (in my opinion) narrow minded anti's who think Gun= Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Kryten wrote: »
    Getting a bit off topic here. We are not in Switzerland. Our soldiers havent been allowed to keep their rifles at home in a very long time. The FCA many moons ago. We are not keeping firearms for Defence purposes in this country. As we all know, that is not allowed. They are only for shooting sports. Lets keep it that way. Lets not rise to the (in my opinion) narrow minded anti's who think Gun= Death.

+1

The thing about suicide and firearms is - and while it's distinctly skin-crawling to trivialise it like this, it is important to note - the means is not even worthy of consideration with suicide compared to the importance of addressing the motive.

But (and in Ireland especially), there's so much of a stigmata around mental health issues that people flinch away from motive and address themselves to the means in initiatives that end up, despite initial good intentions, as being worse than useless because they don't do anything to stop suicide, just "suicide by X". So I wouldn't accept that Swiss laws or Irish laws, or any laws on firearms ownership should be tightened up to "prevent gun suicides" because they won't do that - the only thing that that tightening up will stop is funding and work on preventing suicide.

The thing about suicide and firearms is - and while it's distinctly skin-crawling to trivialise it like this, it is important to note - the means is not even worthy of consideration with suicide compared to the importance of addressing the motive.

But (and in Ireland especially), there's so much of a stigmata around mental health issues that people flinch away from motive and address themselves to the means in initiatives that end up, despite initial good intentions, as being worse than useless because they don't do anything to stop suicide, just "suicide by X". So I wouldn't accept that Swiss laws or Irish laws, or any laws on firearms ownership should be tightened up to "prevent gun suicides" because they won't do that - the only thing that that tightening up will stop is funding and work on preventing suicide.

thank you sparks i agree with the above 100%:)steve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have spent time in switzerland/Finland and as discussed on the forum the swiss army is very much a reserve army when it comes to numbers everyone spending at least two weeks in the army a year up to 30 yrs and longer depending on your rank/abilities etc. All soldiers (Swiss) have their military Fire arm in the house (saw one) but no ammunition.

From 18 years they are brought up around firearms. Finland is quite similiar except the age their is 33 unless they want you for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6xWZaX_x5M

just someyhing i saw and thought you guys that own "firearms capable of firing high velocity bullet, and kill out th one and a half mile" would like to see

• Advertisement

Merged with the appropriate thread. This one's a bit of a resurrection though...

Advertisement