Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Prime Time - Shooting/licensing to be featured Tuesday night...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Any word if someone from the shooting world might be on the interview panel or is just going to be paranoid antis
    Depends on the slant really, if it's anti, then you'll probably see a Super bemoaning the courts and the serious misunderstandings judges have of the firearms acts. If it's the other way, then possibly Des Crofton would have been a good choice.

Place your bets now :D

It's on now... Oh dear "military"

Dramatic increase: 8% in 6 years Ohmigod.

Des Crofton and Tom Clonan so far, Tom Clonan sounding very sensationalist, but that really depends on the question he was asked. Clips are very short from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

And it happens yet again...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wonderful. Hey everyone, feel like taking your air pistols to Iraq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

Hatchet job .... can't believe RTE can ever do a balanced report

• Advertisement

The papers are going to get a run of letters from paniced people expecting the second coming of Charlton Heston now :(

Tom Clonan was especially scaremongering. His parting line was about the possibilty that with the number of "weapons" out there it was only a matter of time before one of them was "used inappropriately.. in a shoolyard.."

Des Crofton was emminently sensible and factual.

rrpc wrote: »
    It's on now... Oh dear "military"

Dramatic increase: 8% in 6 years Ohmigod.

Des Crofton and Tom Clonan so far, Tom Clonan sounding very sensationalist, but that really depends on the question he was asked. Clips are very short from him.

Des Crofton was very good I thought.

Not so sure on Clonan, as you say the clips may be out of context when "embedded" in that propaganda I just watched. Very negatively spun I thought.

Glad I don't pay the licence fee in this house. Newstalk in my car anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Well that went well..... :o
    Didn't count it but Clonan must have said weapon about 100 times. I especially liked the way your man held the .308 with the bolt closed and his finger on the trigger....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A lot of dodgy bullshít spoken there. The schoolyard comment at the end? It's an unbalanced assertion, with no justification, very harmful and emotive. I liked Des Crofton's contributions, but I feel he was treated less seriously than the scared ones.

• Advertisement

bigred wrote: »
    Well that went well..... :o
    Didn't count it but Clonan must have said weapon about 100 times. I especially liked the way your man held the .308 with the bolt closed and his finger on the trigger....

I actually balked at that. The people blethering about how dangerous they are and they themselves not showing the blidest bit of respect!

Or the Gardai for that matter?

And why wasn't even one of the DoJ interviewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Terrible, absolutely terrible. Cue letters in all the main papers complaining about the armed militia that the Gardaí are allowing to be formed across the land.

Well done RTÉ on setting back our cause. Well worth €158 a year. Not! :mad:

Sparks wrote: »
    And why wasn't even one of the DoJ interviewed?
    I would suspect that they knew better. Would you go on RTE now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well that was what I thought it was going to be a sensationlist soundbyte.:(. Started already with the man targets in the opening credits
    Fair play to Des Crofton,nicely put points,only to be warped by editing craftily in "I am an expert on everything regarding Guns & military and I write for the Irish Times,so I am Really brainy" Tom Clonan:mad:.

Just goes to show,that you can NEVER expect a fair play from the TV media on gun ownership either here in Ireland or anywhere else for that matter. Primetime is consistent I am glad to say at warping their stories as ever before. And we pay a TV liscense for this rubbish???:mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Damn right I would, now's when we need airtime to counter that load of ****e we just had excreted all over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

wow thought that was awful

The the Dr. was talking out his wing wang

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Just saw this, god love yez lads.

Utter drivel from the "schoolyard" chap, nonsense and definitely shows a lack of any credible argument, red top tactics the think of the children nonsense.

And the "correlation" between legal ownership and gun crime was bull, I'll wager not one of those crimes had even a whiff of a legal firearm involved, but it was implied all the same, utter crapola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Tom Clonan was especially scaremongering. His parting line was about the possibilty that with the number of "weapons" out there it was only a matter of time before one of them was "used inappropriately.. in a shoolyard.."

Des Crofton was emminently sensible and factual.[/QUOTE

Spot on RRPC. Another scaremongering mission completed by RTE. Fair play to Des, not half enough of him. Clonan is a drama queen. Sh1tin on about schoolyards and I loved his "effective range of a 308 is a mile and a half" I live on the foothills of the slieve blooms and I honestly think I won't bother getting up and going stalking next season, I think I'll take my quarry from my bedroom window. And as for our troops in Chad, I hope they are doing OK, According to Clonan if they get pinned down in some ****ty village we'll be better tooled up than the cavalry on the way to the rescue. He should not have been drawing parallels between members of the shooting community and the defence forces.

There wasn't enough on our side TBH. Congrats to the editing team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

The only surprise tonight was the number of people who regularly contribute to this forum who actually believed there was going to be positive comments about shooting on RTE television:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

He should not have been drawing parallels between members of the shooting community and the defence forces.

Now that's a point that should be made as clear as possible I think.

I suppose we're all dreamers

And of course in an Olympic year, no mention of Olympic shooting to at least give us some positive spin.

Total hatchet job, Tom Clonan came out with some horrendous guff about the .308 being "too big" for any "hunting target" in this country.

And of course the dreaded 9mm, can any of you lads get off a full mag in 2 to 3 seconds?

I actually can't understand the 'rate of fire' that a 9mm has above any other calibre. What's so special about a 9mm bullet that it can get out of a gun far quicker than anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Gerri wrote: »
    The only surprise tonight was the number of people who regularly contribute to this forum who actually believed there was going to be positive comments about shooting on RTE television:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

well one can hope

And of course in an Olympic year, no mention of Olympic shooting to at least give us some positive spin.

And of course the dreaded 9mm, can any of you lads get off a full mag in 2 to 3 seconds?

I can't but I know a few guys who can :

Will Smith (Bad Boys)
    Bruce Willis (Die Hard)

etc, etc

Jonty wrote: »
    And as for our troops in Chad, I hope they are doing OK, According to Clonan if they get pinned down in some ****ty village we'll be better tooled up than the cavalry on the way to the rescue.

Once Mick O'Leary starts doing flights there no one will mess with our lads. Mind you I'm sure the Irish Times will still be up in arms over the shocking and dangerous fact that Ryanair don't provide fully up to spec gunsafes under each seat cushion... Key held by the stewards naturally.
    Gerri wrote: »

I agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Damn right I would, now's when we need airtime to counter that load of ****e we just had excreted all over us.

Please do not contact RTE telling them about Olympic shooting disciplines, otherwise they might categorise us as drugged up shooters if previous reports on numerous Olympic competitors in other disciplines are correct.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, and then you'd be edited out of all recognition and clipped in with a tabloid journalist spouting gibberish from Tom Clancy books.

Advertisement