Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Lessons...what to expect?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I have never driven a car before and have my first lesson this weekend? What can i expect in my first lesson and how many lessons would a person need before being ready?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

10 lessons should be enough provided you can practice on your parents/bf/gf's car or whatever in between lessons. Get insured on it and apply for your test now. It'll probably be a good few months before you get it.

First lesson, instructor will go through the basic working of the car. Take you somehwere you'll be comfortable practicing taking off and coming to a stop, just getting used to the gears and to using the clutch. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Predhead wrote: »
    It'll probably be a good few months before you get it.
    waiting times have come down drastically, so this might not be the case, a friend got hers in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

waiting times have come down drastically, so this might not be the case, a friend got hers in 4 weeks.

I sent off my application to RSA and after 2weeks i received a letter to book my test ... they gave me a date but i asked could i change it as my date for the NCT was around that date and they gave me a new one for 2weeks after the NCT test ... waiting went from 16weeks according to their website to within 5weeks now after NCT but 3weeks if i didn't have to do the NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Starryeyd

I say stick with the lessons no matter what (well within reason) get someone whos been reccomended and keep up the lessons even if the fear kicks in, I quit and after geting out on the road I got a fright and now 12 months later I'm trying to learn again. Not always a good idea to learn with a loved one, cause of many a row with my b/f, because when you get nervous your easily upset, and alot of people can't understand that you are afriad of 3rd gear and corners etc....So I say take your time but don't be a quitter! Its a bit scary, but you'll feel great and think of the freedom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

oh yeah the freedom is amazing- you can go wherever you want and wherever you want- no more being at the mercy of Dublin Bus or Irish Rail!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement