Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

door frame rebate problem

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

Having doors fitted at the moment and there is a problem. Door frames are deal with 48mm rebate. Doors are 42mm thick. Doors are flush with frame one side of door which has hinge, but this leaves a 6mm gap on the other side of the door when it is closed, ie. it does not pull up tight to the frame.

It doesn't look great. Sorry didn't manage to get a picture. Doors are oak and frames are deal and will be painted white/off-white.

I can't blame chippie for this I think. I chose the frames and had them fitted ages ago and I chose the doors. So I am looking for some ideas. I can think of a few but I'm not sure if they're going to work out...

1. Fit a 6mmX10mm strip into gap - hard to cut strip to side, hard to glue/fit and hide...
    2. Fit one of those rubber seals (draught excluder?) - might not look so good, get grubby, tear over time
    3. Fit an additional 'door stop' strip (eg. 80mmX10mm) on inside of frame - reduces overall width of opening, reduces space from frame to handle.

If anyone can understand this problem (sorry hard to explain without pictures) and has any additional suggestions I would be grateful...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Can you remove the slip which makes the rebate and move it in to touch the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

Unfortunately the frame is in one piece and the slip is not removeable, ie. there is no separate slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Talk to the chippy about removing the integral slip with a chisel. I would score the join between slip and subframe before prising it away with a chisel. The scar left behind can be roughly filled and made good before covering with a new slip at the correct width. Take 6mm on both sides with the new slip to give a symmetrical look and give you the cover you need to hide the scar.

A lot of work and will depend on how the integral slip is built at the joins between the vertical and horizontal parts of the frame.

You could try using a router to pare down the slip to give you the width to fit a wider piece alongside. But you will have to pare the corner sections with a chisel. Fill the gap, make good and paint.

Thanks Minder for the suggestions. Unfortunately with 19 doors already fitted we are looking for an approach which requires less work. The narrow strip idea (1 in original post) seems to be the most popular one at the moment.

An update....
    Chippie made up strips and fitted them. They were glued and nailed. I finished sanding them last weekend and they look very good. I have to paint yet but I'm fairly sure they will not be visible. Doors close really well - all in all I'm glad we went with this approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement