Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABA Routing Number of AIB?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just sold some stocks and some stock options, and the US Bank that handles this needs a ABA Routing Number to tranfer the money to my Irish Account.

Appearantly it is a 9-digit number assigned to the bank by the American Bankers Association (ABA) and used for routing transfers and other transactions.

Unfortunately AIB phone banking was pretty useless. They told me I wouldn't need it to receive money from the US. They only were able to give me a swift code.

Any Idea what AIB's ABA routing number is, or where to get the Info?

Cheers,
    DubDani

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The ABA routing number, from what I understand, is only issued to US banks (it's like a sort code here).

I'd imagine they American's are taking a US centric view of the world and may not realise you don't have a US bank account. International transfers would normally be done using a SWIFT code and account number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Buffy is spot on. I would think the US side are looking from their domestic point of view only.
    If they will not make an international transfer for you, you may want to get them to issue you a USD cheque. You can lodge that at any AIB, but it may take a few days to clear. At least you'll be in control of the exchange rate.
    PS - probably one of the worst times to be changing USD to EUR! Hope you made a good profit on the original transaction.

You could also ask about opening a USD account with AIB, and lodging the funds until the exchange rate improves. But you would probably need to have a large amount of USD to make all the charges/paperwork worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

An IBAN number and BIC/SWIFT code should be all that's needed. At the end of the day these two code are fully acceptable by all banks around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

You are right that AIB doesn't have a ABA routing number itself. But according to the Institution that handled the sale every non-US bank has an US intermediary which it uses for these kind of transactions.

Somehow the brokering system is unable to make a direct payment to my Irish Account. They will need the route the money via AIBs intermediary bank in the US, which will then in turn forward the money to the AIB.

And I need the ABA routhing number of the US intermediary bank that AIB uses. Unfortunately so far no luck with phone banking. Will need to check with my branch, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

OK, I finally got it. If anyone ever needs it...

AIBs intermediary Bank in the US is "Deutsche Bank Trust", and it's ABA is 021001033.

• Advertisement
Advertisement