Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 tonight

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Channel 4 air their latest religious polemic this evening.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/listing.html?channel=18
    RTE SITE wrote:
    Dispatches
    David Modell explores the growth and increasing influence of Christian fundamentalism as the Human Fertilisation and Embryo Bill makes its way through Parliament

This provides dichotomy to my day as I was attacked by some Christians outside Pearse street station looking for new members for their Church.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That documentary just sounds annoying. Unless you like shouting at fundies on your TV!
    This provides dichotomy to my day as I was attacked by some Christians outside Pearse street station looking for new members for their Church.
    Dammit I'm a Pearse every day - why do they never attack me??!

BTW is there some reason you won't fix the typo in your sig? Your campaign might be taken more seriously if you did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I was attacked by some Christians outside Pearse street station looking for new members for their Church.

Any serious injuries? Did they have weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dades wrote: »
    That documentary just sounds annoying. Unless you like shouting at fundies on your TV!
    Yes but the question is why is channel four showing so many of them?
    BTW is there some reason you won't fix the typo in your sig? Your campaign might be taken more seriously if you did...
    No, I like it.

PDN wrote: »
    Just a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I bet they had them dern weapons of mass distraction the Iraqis been hidin' I tells ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That is disgraceful didn't think they had schools that taught YEC in the UK.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

And one of them says having lustful thoughts is actually committing adultery. :eek:

They would do well brushing up on what is involved in committing the sins they preach about.:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Did I hear right one guy implied that he hasn't had sex ever because basicaly he believes that his penis is holy. (but the odd knuckle shuffle is ok :p)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Dammit I'm a Pearse every day - why do they never attack me??!

Must be the white beard and robe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

marco_polo wrote: »
    Did I hear right one guy implied that he hasn't had sex ever because basicaly he believes that his penis is holy. (but the odd knuckle shuffle is ok :p)

of course his penis is holey. How else would the wee come out.

Some people, i just don't know.

just watching the program now.

He's calling death a great adventure

Only a religious person would say that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I was attacked by some Christians outside Pearse street station looking for new members for their Church.
    Seems they may be out doing door to door as well. There was a gang of three or four people crowding the door of some unfortunate resident of Cumberland Street behind Pearse station this evening, one of whom wore an embarrassingly egotistical, not to say nonsensical, sweatshirt saying "Come follow me" on the back.

With a bit of luck, the Lord will lead them to my doorbell nearby :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone know how long it takes for dispatches to show up on 4od?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I heard they sometimes attack heathens with lumps of the true cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i didn't know that 'faith' schools in the u.k. are totally exempt from the national curriculum and can basically teach whatever waffle they want to the kids. that's shocking, and i'd definitely call raising a child in an informational vacuum like that 'abusive'. they don't even allow that in the u.s. do they? i thought even home schoolers have to at least play lip-service to reality.

what's the situation in this country? can schools legally present biblical (or quaranic) myth as real science?

i couldn't care less about the looney adults in most of the documentary but the children, won't somebody think of the children...?

robindch wrote: »
    Seems they may be out doing door to door as well. There was a gang of three or four people crowding the door of some unfortunate resident of Cumberland Street behind Pearse station this evening, one of whom wore an embarrassingly egotistical, not to say nonsensical, sweatshirt saying "Come follow me" on the back.

With a bit of luck, the Lord will lead them to my doorbell nearby :)

They were out again this morning about twice the number as yesterday. Just kept my head down, avoided eye contact and kept going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=112

you should wear this when you're passing them... nsfw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Attacked? I mean really, attacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=112

you should wear this when you're passing them... nsfw
    I have that shirt. I also have the "If I have to find Jesus does that mean he is hiding?" With a pic of a beardy bloke peaking out from behind a hedge.

I think technically it is independent or private schools that are exempt from the national curriculum in the UK. The faith schools are set up as independent schools and therefore not subject to the national curriculum, not because they are faith schools per se, but because they are independent.

Personally I found the show as disgusting and scary as I expected it to be.

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think technically it is independent or private schools that are exempt from the national curriculum in the UK. The faith schools are set up as independent schools and therefore not subject to the national curriculum, not because they are faith schools per se, but because they are independent.

Correct. The situation in the UK is that the primary responsibility for education of children rests with parents. The State's role is providing schools etc. is to help the parents in that responsibility.

Schools that receive financial support from the Government need to go with the National Curriculum, but parents are free to pay for their children's education or to home school them. The State still inspects private schools (and home schooled children) to ensure that parents are fulfilling their responsibility to educate their children properly, but the National Curriculum is not compulsory. The position of Schools Inspectors on certain faith based schools is that their teaching of Creationism is a deficiency, but that their vastly superior standards in other areas (maths, literacy, music, languages etc.) outweighs that deficiency. Therefore such schools tend to get overall good reports from the Inspectors.

My own daughter attended private faith based schools both in the UK and here in Ireland. No government ever payed a single penny or cent of her educational costs. I worked extra jobs at night time to pay for her schooling.

The school she attended here in Ireland taught information about both Creationism and Evolution, but the presentation of this information was certainly slanted towards Creationism. Funnily enough the critical thinking and analytical skills she learned from other parts of the school's programme led her to reject the Creationist case. According to the State's own School Inspectors, by the time she was 15 she had, like many of that school's pupils, reached an educational standard that would be above the average for students in State-funded schools at Leaving Cert level.

Today she is at University, was recently voted Student of the Year by her tutors and peers in her department, and shows no signs of damage from her experience of faith schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The position of Schools Inspectors on certain faith based schools is that their teaching of Creationism is a deficiency, but that their vastly superior standards in other areas (maths, literacy, music, languages etc.) outweighs that deficiency. Therefore such schools tend to get overall good reports from the Inspectors.

Which isn't that difficult when these schools go out of their way to select only the students that already show strong academic ability.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/pressAndInformationOffice/newsAndEvents/archives/2006/FaithPrimarySchools.htm

There is little evidence the schools are actually better at teaching subjects, but when you allow only the best and the brightest to attend your school you are going to end up high on the league tables.
    Today she is at University, was recently voted Student of the Year by her tutors and peers in her department, and shows no signs of damage from her experience of faith schools.
    Is she studying biology by any chance? :pac:

Wicknight wrote: »
    Which isn't that difficult when these schools go out of their way to select only the students that already show strong academic ability.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/pressAndInformationOffice/newsAndEvents/archives/2006/FaithPrimarySchools.htm

There is little evidence the schools are actually better at teaching subjects, but when you allow only the best and the brightest to attend your school you are going to end up high on the league tables.

You appear to be labouring under a misapprehension about what kind of schools we are talking about.

The "faith primary schools" in the article you link to are actually Church of England or Roman Catholic schools that follow the National Curriculum and which receive State funding. The schools that I was referring to are those which receive no State funding and therefore do not need to follow the National Curriculum. These schools generally receive pupils on the basis of Christian commitment and operate no selection process on intelligence or academic grounds. Therefore they do not receive "the brightest and best" students, although, since most of them are evangelical in ethos, they will tend to receive pupils who have the brightest and best parents. ;)

You appear to be labouring under a misapprehension about what kind of schools we are talking about.

The "faith primary schools" in the article you link to are actually Church of England or Roman Catholic schools that follow the National Curriculum and which receive State funding. The schools that I was referring to are those which receive no State funding and therefore do not need to follow the National Curriculum. These schools generally receive pupils on the basis of Christian commitment and operate no selection process on intelligence or academic grounds. Therefore they do not receive "the brightest and best" students, although, since most of them are evangelical in ethos, they will tend to receive pupils who have the brightest and best parents. ;)
    And then milk the parents of all their money just so they can be allowed to teach lies to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Correct. The situation in the UK is that the primary responsibility for education of children rests with parents. The State's role is providing schools etc. is to help the parents in that responsibility.

Schools that receive financial support from the Government need to go with the National Curriculum, but parents are free to pay for their children's education or to home school them. The State still inspects private schools (and home schooled children) to ensure that parents are fulfilling their responsibility to educate their children properly, but the National Curriculum is not compulsory. The position of Schools Inspectors on certain faith based schools is that their teaching of Creationism is a deficiency, but that their vastly superior standards in other areas (maths, literacy, music, languages etc.) outweighs that deficiency. Therefore such schools tend to get overall good reports from the Inspectors.

My own daughter attended private faith based schools both in the UK and here in Ireland. No government ever payed a single penny or cent of her educational costs. I worked extra jobs at night time to pay for her schooling.

The school she attended here in Ireland taught information about both Creationism and Evolution, but the presentation of this information was certainly slanted towards Creationism. Funnily enough the critical thinking and analytical skills she learned from other parts of the school's programme led her to reject the Creationist case. According to the State's own School Inspectors, by the time she was 15 she had, like many of that school's pupils, reached an educational standard that would be above the average for students in State-funded schools at Leaving Cert level.

For once in my life I have to agree with PDN, (shock, horror!!:D) faith schools can often (not always) be most excellent teaching institutions. Having been a product of them myself, I can testify that they are excellent right up until a few small sections of biology and physics....but like PDN's daughter and myself, critical thinking will fill in those gaps. My only concern is for the people who take everything without questioning it themselves - these will certainly be the people who come off worse for wear for a faith school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You may have created an evangelical Christian child, but unless she got 600 points in her LC you have no idea how much damage you did to her education by wasting your money on fundamentalist Christian education.

Oh, and when you say "University" do you mean DkIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

iUseVi wrote: »
    For once in my life I have to agree with PDN, (shock, horror!!:D) faith schools can often (not always) be most excellent teaching institutions. Having been a product of them myself, I can testify that they are excellent right up until a few small sections of biology and physics....but like PDN's daughter and myself, critical thinking will fill in those gaps. My only concern is for the people who take everything without questioning it themselves - these will certainly be the people who come off worse for wear for a faith school.

Its good to see someone who doesn't just shoot their bigotted mouth off represent some atheists here. Maybe the rest of you should stop watching Channel 4. I'm not a Catholic, yet from the time I was 4 til the time I left school I had religion class. Remember back then it was not learning about various religions, it was catholocism. My parents were my authoritive teachers. If you guys have no confidence in your own parenting capabilities to be able to teach your child, so that they question and reason, then thats your problem. some of us, give ourselves more credit than that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JimiTime wrote: »
    I'm not a Catholic, yet from the time I was 4 til the time I left school I had religion class.
    Likewise! Though if the RE teachers (inc. priests) in my school were anything to go by I'd 'hope' they have better ones in "faith" schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Likewise! Though if the RE teachers (inc. priests) in my school were anything to go by I'd 'hope' they have better ones in "faith" schools.

TBH, we had some good and some bad. Thing is, my parents gave me the tools to question, and to think. No teacher was going to remove that. Having the ability to talk openly to my parents, and my older bro and sis, who were 12 and 10 years my senior was priceless. This fear of faith schools is bogus! 'Jesus Camp' type parents is what you should be concerned about. Though some don't seem to be able to seperate the two unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

These schools generally receive pupils on the basis of Christian commitment and operate no selection process on intelligence or academic grounds. Therefore they do not receive "the brightest and best" students, although, since most of them are evangelical in ethos, they will tend to receive pupils who have the brightest and best parents. ;)

Umm, perhaps reading the report would help clarify this -

The reason for this is that Faith schools (and other schools classed as Voluntary Aided or
    Foundation; see Section 0) were allowed to interview families – ostensibly to determine their
    religious or other ethical convictions; however, it has long been suspected that this leads to some form of covert selection based on parental and pupil characteristics that are correlated with pupil

This study is looking at VA or Foundation schools which require some level of adherence to state standards. Independent schools don't, they are completely free to select students as they like.

Advertisement