Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD athlon 85X2 3800+

Options
  • 18-05-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Yo Folks,
    chances are I'm in the wrong dept! can't got my head around boards.

Anyhoo, I could do with some advice:
    I have ;
    SOYO KT333 dragon Platinum ultra MoBo. and:
    AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+ (socket 940 I think, could be wrong)

I also have lots of bits , HDD, sdound, graphic, tv USB,modem,RAM,box,and whatever.
    I would like to stuff the bits into a case, (ie make! a PC),
    I don't know weither to use the MoBo, or the 84X2 CPU.
    Reckon either way I need to get a PSU.
    . I am not a gamer, don'y need high spec,
    I would like a "quiet" runabout sorta thing.
    I don't want to be messing up Adverts .
    All advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

MYTOTE wrote: »
    chances are I'm in the wrong dept! can't got my head around boards.
    Yeah, it'd probably be more at home in Building & Upgrading, but I'm sure it'll find its way there eventually if a mod moves it.
    I assumed from your choice of forum that you wanted to build another folding rig, but you just want a normal day-to-day PC?
    I also have lots of bits , HDD, sdound, graphic, tv USB,modem,RAM,box,and whatever.
    I would like to stuff the bits into a case, (ie make! a PC),
    I don't know weither to use the MoBo, or the 84X2 CPU.
    I suppose it depends on exactly what you have, the Athlon X2 3800 would be faster than anything you could stick into that old mobo... so the question is, do you have a mobo for the 3800+ or a CPU for the KT333 mobo (socket A?)
    As you say, you're not a gamer, so if all you want is a general surfing, light-entertainment PC, then the older mobo should be fine if you've already got a processor for it.
    If you have to buy one or the other component, I'd get a mobo for the 3800... you'd probably get one cheaply enough second hand.

It's a cool feeling though... building a whole other PC from your otherwise useless stack of spare parts.
    Reckon either way I need to get a PSU.

I would like a "quiet" runabout sorta thing.
    I recommend one of these, cheap, reliable and quiet as a mouse.
    I can't remember what power connectors socket A mobos need... I think it was the 20-pin + 4pin, but I retired mine so many years ago that I can't remember... something to check before you buy anyway.

Advertisement