Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5e Network not working

Options
  • 19-05-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi looking for some help here.

In my new build I basically got each room wired for Cat5e and each terminates up stairs in the study. So on Saturday I went about fixing ends on the cables, got myself a crimp tool etc.

I've no tester so all I was doing was plugging terminating ends into a modem and going to each room in turn and pinging the modem. After doing that I can only get connectivity on one of the cables. I've rechecked my terminating wiring and all seems fine, but suppose my question is, if one of the individual wires wasn't touching the terminating pin properly would that cause the lack of connectivity, so would I still get something? Any thing else I can check or any other common problems to look out for? Distance/maybe the other ends in each of the rooms are incorrectly wired (the Electrican done all the wiring and left the terminates cables bear). All is not lost as my Electrician still has to come back to go over everything.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dp639 wrote: »
    Hi looking for some help here.

In my new build I basically got each room wired for Cat5e and each terminates up stairs in the study. So on Saturday I went about fixing ends on the cables, got myself a crimp tool etc.

I've no tester so all I was doing was plugging terminating ends into a modem and going to each room in turn and pinging the modem. After doing that I can only get connectivity on one of the cables. I've rechecked my terminating wiring and all seems fine, but suppose my question is, if one of the individual wires wasn't touching the terminating pin properly would that cause the lack of connectivity, so would I still get something? Any thing else I can check or any other common problems to look out for? Distance/maybe the other ends in each of the rooms are incorrectly wired (the Electrican done all the wiring and left the terminates cables bear). All is not lost as my Electrician still has to come back to go over everything.

Thanks
    Get a simple tester like this like this and then you will know if your cables are fine. I would advise making off into a cat5e module rather than making off to crystals yourself and also to get a patch panel for the other ends it will be worth it in the long run. By making off into a patch panel and modules it will make everything much more reliable and you can then make any point a telephone or data point simply by changing things at the patch panel end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I agree with Axer, those bloody RJ45 crimps should never be sold they are a disaster. If you only have a few connections what I do in that scenario is crimp RJ45 modules both ends instead of a patch panel.. If you cant get a tester you'll surely be able to borrow one from someone. Try to use decent enough modules as it does make a difference. If your stuck for a tester Ill sort you out on a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Thanks guys,
    I bought myself a tester in Maplin yesterday went home to test it all out. There are 12 cables in total, 9 are coming back as crossover, I wired them as 568B at the hub, so I imagine each of the sockets in each room throughout the house are wired as 568A. Instead of changing each of the 568B wirings can I use crossover patch cables (that I already have) in each room so in theory it crossovers twice? so should I just redo each of 568B (well 1 first of all to see if it works). One thing puzzles me with 1 of the crossovers when I put the router on one end at the laptop at the other I can ping and see the modem, this is the shortest cable of the lot as its just at the other side of the wall, I thought it strange it still worked - none of others do.

As for the other 3 cables, they come back with 'Short' what exactly does this mean, lots of sites stating that their testers test for 'Short' but I don't know what this means, is it 1 or 2 individual wires out of place??

Thanks again for the help and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

9 are coming back as crossover, I wired them as 568B at the hub, so I imagine each of the sockets in each room throughout the house are wired as 568A. Instead of changing each of the 568B wirings can I use crossover patch cables (that I already have) in each room so in theory it crossovers twice? so should I just redo each of 568B (well 1 first of all to see if it works).
    A crossover cable would work but you should just fix everything now altogether. Either makeoff the ends again with 568A to get a straight-through link to the switch or nows the time to maybe make all of those cables off into a patch panel altogether.
    One thing puzzles me with 1 of the crossovers when I put the router on one end at the laptop at the other I can ping and see the modem, this is the shortest cable of the lot as its just at the other side of the wall, I thought it strange it still worked - none of others do.
    You can have what are called MDIX ports on a switch which automatically sense whether you are using a crossover cable (which the link back to the switch is) or not and adjust automatically accordingly. Many switches have this MDIX in all ports or maybe just in one uplink port. This is possibly why it is working fine still.
    As for the other 3 cables, they come back with 'Short' what exactly does this mean, lots of sites stating that their testers test for 'Short' but I don't know what this means, is it 1 or 2 individual wires out of place??
    It looks like somewhere two wires are touching without insulation between them. Check the ends of the cables to see if this is the case - I would suspect that the problem is at the module end where the electrician punched them in.

Advertisement