Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse problems

Options
  • 19-05-2008 10:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, the last 2 weekends a mouse has chewed threw the dishwasher and washing machine pipes causing them to flood the kitchen. There's no permanent damage.

I've a good few mouse traps everywhere but only once has the mouse taken the bait (and got away!) Has anyone used those ultrasonic things that you plug in??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've never had great success with the ultrasonic things but found those black moulded mousetraps to be quiet effective. Also have used endomice which is quiet effective. Check out Rentokil who have some clever products. http://www.rentokil.ie/en/services-and-solutions/service-solutions/mouse-radar.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We used to have a huge mouse problem in the house & I bought one of the ultrasonic devices & it really did the trick.

Funnily enough, a couple of weeks ago we saw a mouse in the hallway & I immediately wondered if the ultrasonic device had packed up, only for my seven year old to tell me that the babysitter had switched it off the previous evening because the noise was driving her crazy......switched it on again & mouse free....

I'll check the make, but I bought it in Tesco of all places !

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Had mouse problems a couple of years ago (despite having a cat!!). I tried all the usual 'over the counter' products. Poison. Mousetraps. Sonic things. All useless.

I then rang Ardvark (pest control company). They came out. Laid down serious heavy-duty poison. They also went round the house pointing out all the placed that mice might have accessed and gave me advice on how to block up all those possible entry points.

My advice is - don't waste your money or time on trying to deal with this yourself. Get in some professionals. Close off all potential access points and rest easy.

I do not work for Ardvark and am sure that other companies like (Rentokill) would be equally good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Get a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IMO the best and most effective method is still the heavy duty glue trap, the mouse runs on and doesn't get off.
    You can see when they are caught and it doesn't depend on bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

I would have thought they'd be gone out of houses by this time of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whitestew

sticky chocolate especially Mars bars on the normal trap did the trick for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i heard the ultrasonic things will keep the mice away but if there nest is already in the house it will only irritate them!
    a combination of traps and the ultrasonic things did it for me, caught two large ones the first night (the parents i think) then one small one the second night and haven't seen them since, that was about two months ago but i think the main thing is to cut off whats attracting them, open bins ,food lying around etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Scatter moth balls around the house - that'll keep them away. We use them around the garden to keep foxes & deer away. and in the shed to keep mice away. It works and nobody is hurt.

But be careful about children. Locate them safe height away from kiddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

There are mixed opinions on the ultrasonic devices that repulse rodents away. Alot of people think that they are a sham and that they dont work and then you have those who live by the devices and say that they are the best thing since sliced bread. I do believe that they do repulse rodents to a certain extent but i find it hard to believe that they make living absolutely unbearable for the little creatures. So i would recommend getting one but don't rely on it. If you are going to purchase one i would recommend this one (http://www.lenehans.ie/lenehans/Main/Product2.asp?ProdID=1194) as it seems to have the most satisfaction rate with the customers in the hardware store where i work and we have like four different ranges and that one is most popular. I would however spend a little extra and get the one that will cover the whole house and not just a single room.

Also the safe set, self baited mouse traps are a revolution in my opinion. Odorless, safe and finger friendly and above all clean these are definitely the best traps on the market at the moment. Definitely worth investing in three or four of them...

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

Had mice problems a couple of years back and solved it with mint plants. Mice and rats detest the smell of mint. you can buy mint plant in tesco or superquinn already in pot, put a couple around house and water now and again, the stuff grows like a weed. also put some down around outside of house,never had a problem since. you would also needto check around house for any openings they could get through at doors, windows etc. Anything you can push a pen into, a mouse can get through. arm yourself with a tube of silicone and seal up any potential problems, check silicone after a few weeks, if it has been eaten, a more robust sealant is required. got the info about the mint from websites in the states, if you want to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

We had mice around the house, they used to come up into my room through a gap in the floorboards. I waited, for the mouse to come up from the floor, then I stuffed the gap with some socks. Mouse couldnt get back down, and I caught the bugger in my hands and tossed it to the cat. Problem solved for the moment.

And I wholeheartly recommend those "old" wooden mouse-traps, those new ones are just useless. we got some of those newer ones.. the mice were taking the bait and avoiding the trap. So we bought two of those old ones, caught 4 mice in the space of an hour by the hot press and the sitting room. Havnt seen a mouse since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Just caught a mouse! Used a wooden trap with a piece of mars bar. They love carmel. Important to ensure the spring is very sensitive on the trap. Surprised to catch one so late in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Just caught a mouse! Used a wooden trap with a piece of mars bar. They love carmel. Important to ensure the spring is very sensitive on the trap. Keep the carmel "sticky" on the trap, so they pull at it, setting it off. Surprised to catch one so late in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

RKQ wrote: »
    Just caught a mouse! Used a wooden trap with a piece of mars bar. They love carmel. Important to ensure the spring is very sensitive on the trap. Keep the carmel "sticky" on the trap, so they pull at it, setting it off. Surprised to catch one so late in the year.

GWAN you! +1 for the humans!

Advertisement