Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable routing

Options
  • 19-05-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

while cleaning my bike, I noticed that underneath, one of the cables is not running through it's "housing" (dunno the proper name of it). Is this bad form? Should I get it corrected? Bike is only new.

IMG_5018.JPG?imgmax=720

IMG_5019.JPG?imgmax=720

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I would, just so they run a bit smoother thru the guide. From the pics i assume its a plastic guide, so the cable will eat away at it, rather than it wearing down the cable. No massive hurry to do it, but i would do it. Also, when you say "should i get it corrected?" it looks simple enough to loosen the cable (front derailleur i assume?) a little and pull it into the guide, no?

Edit: i see from pic 2 that the cable is going into a hole in the frame. The cables going to rub off this and that will wear it down, so get it sorted soon

Edit 2: and right beside the quality check sticker!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i'd release the tension in the cable and reposition it correctly in the cable guide and re-tension. otherwise it's going to saw through the sidewall of the guide and become loose anyway. It's not something major, don't go bringing it back or anything, will take you 10 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Looks like it could be sorted by straightening up the guide. Just get a bit of slack in the cable and go at it with a screwdriver (if you have one that fits.). A bit of coaxing might sort it out if you don't have a screwdriver.

Having the cable run like that will wear it down and it could eventually snap. (luckily they're not brake cables)

/edit ....too slow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thanks guys.
    I think I'll bring it back to the shop cos I've a few other nigglings that I need sorted. Nothing incredibly major, but I'm a fussy git about these things. Actually one of 'em is my heel clipping the chain stay. I have red cleats, so maximum float. My natural pedal stroke and foot position sees me keep clear of the stays, but of occasion, I clip it. I was always running it very close on my previous bike. Would gray cleats see me right? Should I get the Q-factor increased? Is that even possible?

The other is the cables at the front, they aren't as "balanced" as I would like, i.e. the brake cables are both sitting more to the left of the stem, when I would really want them centered. I told you I was fussy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Raam wrote: »
    The other is the cables at the front, they aren't as "balanced" as I would like, i.e. the brake cables are both sitting more to the left of the stem, when I would really want them centered. I told you I was fussy :o
    But think of the advantage: Just like a car tracks slightly left, so too will your bike, so you wont' head for the other side of the road if you cycle no hands for a bit.
    Also, on the track, the bike will follow the natural left-hand curve.
    Leave them cables alone man, they're working FOR you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

kenmc wrote: »
    But think of the advantage: Just like a car tracks slightly left, so too will your bike, so you wont' head for the other side of the road if you cycle no hands for a bit.
    Also, on the track, the bike will follow the natural left-hand curve.
    Leave them cables alone man, they're working FOR you :D

You should be a salesman!

Advertisement