Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Final Saturday - Big Screen

Options
  • 19-05-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Is the city going to have the big screen up in O'Connell street this year for the final like 2 years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Big-screen-will-return-on.4064971.jp

A statement this Thursday from Futurama Productions, who will stage the event, will delight fans, who had feared they would miss out on the big match atmosphere on May 24.

For the 2008 final, two screens will be erected in the city centre at the junctions of O'Connell Street and Glentworth Street and O'Connell Street and Shannon Street. One of the screens is 45 metres squared while the other will be slightly smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Yes - I heard that they will have 2 up this year - Junctions of O'Connell St and Glentworth street and O'Connell St and Shannon St.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Big-screen-will-return-on.4064971.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

That's great news:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was hugely successful last time around, hopefully it'll be just as good this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

An Fhile wrote: »
    It was hugely successful last time around, hopefully it'll be just as good this year :)

It will only be good if we win ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It will only be good if we win ;)

[kurns] we've got mafi, of course we'll win[/kurns] :D

I meant it was good in that it was well-organised. There was a visible but non-intrusive garda presence so there was no scumbaggery that I noticed, and there was a pretty good view of the screen from most angles too (apart from when people put their umbrellas up :mad: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Georgie Boy

yeuk
    i'm heading to galway for it
    cant stand all the plastic supporters

everyone decked out in jerseys and the like and barely able to rattle off players names other than o gara and o connell

really gets on my t*ts

yeuk

everyone decked out in jerseys and the like and barely able to rattle off players names other than o gara and o connell

really gets on my t*ts

Its not that bad dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

yeuk

really gets on my t*ts

If you're such a top fan, shouldn't you be heading to Cardiff? Nothing wrong with people enjoying a bit of a day out in Limerick

If you're such a top fan, shouldn't you be heading to Cardiff? Nothing wrong with people enjoying a bit of a day out in Limerick

+1

Exactly, anyway most of the true fans or whatever you want to call them probably cant get a ticket for Cardiff (i know i cant), the next best thing imo is as Amazotheamazing said, a great day out in limerick with loads of people roaring the lads on!

• Advertisement

+1

Exactly, anyway most of the true fans or whatever you want to call them probably cant get a ticket for Cardiff (i know i cant), the next best thing imo is as Amazotheamazing said, a great day out in limerick with loads of people roaring the lads on!

+2

Why would a real Munster fan run off to Connaught to watch the final?! :confused:

Lets not jump on the bandwagon yet eh guys
    I have been to every Heineken cup home match, i went to 2 away games, i have travelled to cork for 4 league matchs.
    Unfortunately i was unable to get a flight or accommodation so i gave my ticket to the man who stands beside me in the pissing rain in musgrave or thomond park.
    It just pains me to see folk out 'in the name of munster' who havent a clue about rugby yet profess to know everything about the game.

Case in point, i watched the last match in Foleys Bar, place was packed with birds with munster tops tucked into their jeans, all drinking wkd and all yapping when the match was on

Munster have become a victim of their own success. I just wish all the band wagonners would eff off and go follow chelsea fc instead of sullying the good name of munster with their plasticity

I have been to every Heineken cup home match, i went to 2 away games, i have travelled to cork for 4 league matchs.
    Unfortunately i was unable to get a flight or accommodation so i gave my ticket to the man who stands beside me in the pissing rain in musgrave or thomond park.
    It just pains me to see folk out 'in the name of munster' who havent a clue about rugby yet profess to know everything about the game.

Case in point, i watched the last match in Foleys Bar, place was packed with birds with munster tops tucked into their jeans, all drinking wkd and all yapping when the match was on

Munster have become a victim of their own success. I just wish all the band wagonners would eff off and go follow chelsea fc instead of sullying the good name of munster with their plasticity

These are the same fans who, when viewed by the players on the big screen at Cardiff, were said to have inspired Munster to their first Heineken Cup Final victory. How exactly can it be said that they are "sullying the good name of Munster"??? They get nothing but positive attention in the media, there's rarely (if ever) any crime associated with their support (even if you believe it's all fair-weather fans) and they all add to the excitement and sense of occasion. My mother has never understood most of the rules of rugby, does that mean she should be banned from watching the games?

As for you claim that Munster have become victims of their own success, it seems a little bit ridiculous. There's a new stadium on the way, we have a great squad of players and we're in the European Cup Final. Where's the victimhood?!

Whats wrong with people not knowing much about Rugby? Why cant people who dont know much about the game go on O'Connell St. this saturday and take part in what will be a great occasion for the city and province.

Munster is much more than just a rugby team, they are a source of pride for the whole city, province and even country, so what you are saying is pretty harsh.

Im bringing two of my friends from DCU who are from Norway And Germany respectively to show them a great time in Limerick, how we are so passionate and proud about our city and our beloved men in red! Hopefully they will have a great time and will always remember what a great day it is going to be.

Jeez your miserable.

What were you doing watching the match in Foleys, if you wanted a rugby crowd you should have gone to a proper traditional rugby pub.

Well, enjoy Galway, bring your negativity with you.

eugh yeuk
    i hope we lose now
    even ordered my toulouse jersey online tonight

now i know how eamonn dunphy felt in 2002

i know a few of the munster lads personally and they all agree with me that the would prefer to have hardened rugby fans watch them than the thousands of plastics who wouldnt know how to spell maul never mind explain one

eugh yeuk
    i hope we lose now

i know a few of the munster lads personally and they all agree with me that the would prefer to have hardened rugby fans watch them than the thousands of plastics who wouldnt know how to spell maul never mind explain one

Sorry, I had you confused for an adult.

I'm sure the players get all misty eyed over the smaller crowds and less money they earned back in the 1990's.

Isn't there a bridge you should trolling under?

eugh yeuk
    i hope we lose now

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

yes very good, pass me off as a troll just cos i hold a different opinion to you
    I thought this was a discussion board, i'm merely getting my point across

I dont see why thousands flock the streets, why dont they do it for the magners league. they only do it for the heineken cup which makes them bandwagonners and glory hunters and it makes me sick to the stomach

Allez Toulouse

yes very good, pass me off as a troll just cos i hold a different opinion to you
    I thought this was a discussion board, i'm merely getting my point across

I dont see why thousands flock the streets, why dont they do it for the magners league. they only do it for the heineken cup which makes them bandwagonners and glory hunters and it makes me sick to the stomach

Allez Toulouse

Please, do you really expect us to think you know Munster players and want them to lose on Saturday? Some mate you are...

Go back under your rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Allez les bleus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think the big screen is a fantastic idea, the more people that gets to watch the game the better it can only help to promote rugby and in this case it will help promote Limerick.

I know that the players were spurned on by scenes from Limerick in 2006 and hopefully it will help them again this year.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

40 Square metres according to the munster website!!!! http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_8213.php

Thats bloody massive!!!!!

(thats what she said....) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

big screen outside synotts too, happy days!

RINO87 wrote: »
    40 Square metres according to the munster website!!!! http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_8213.php

Thats bloody massive!!!!!

(thats what she said....) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

heh heh, quality :D

Apparently this big screen is even higher quality than the original one that was wrecked in Manchester last week.

44sq metres outside synotts.. 25ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

is that the place out in castletroy??

how the hell did they manage to get a screen that big. the one thats going to be on o'connell st is supposed to be europes biggest!

dunno how they got it, but they're blocking the whole car park, theres a heineken bar set up outside with 8 taps... and i live across the road, happy days!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm sure the players get all misty eyed over the smaller crowds and less money they earned back in the 1990's.

Strange that you mention that. Before I moved here I lived near Thomond Park and remember the place being jammed with cars for AIL matches. Same near Temple Hill but now with the advance of the provinces there are more cars up for kids training than are around for league matches.

I'm not a massive rugby fan but sometimes I think I've been at more matches than some of the folk stumping up big bucks to go off to Cardiff..

As an aside the big screen was excellent in 2006 - we were passing through en-route to a wedding and parked in Roches St and the guards let myself and two of the kids in right in front of the screen. Almost the best seats in the house..

• Advertisement

disappointed with the result

Advertisement