Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking for mechanics apprenticeship.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

as the title says im looking for mechanics apprenticeship and hve no idea how to go about finding one, any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i dropped in 80 c.v's , got 5 replys , ansers every question in the interveiw to within a masters degree of perfection but to no avail... they only want monkeys they can rip off these days.... or if you have a polish accent you Sooo in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Sorry liljenny to semi-hijhack thread, but anyone know of a place that teaches car maintenance? A night course or weekend course etc? Would love to learn the basics, changing oil, brake pads etc.

i often show people when i fix there cars... killing my business but making a good reputation in the process....

any mechanic will show you upon request.

S.I.R wrote: »
    i often show people when i fix there cars... killing my business but making a good reputation in the process....

any mechanic will show you upon request.

Haha fair play to you! Dont worry though as long as there are cars and new models out every year there will always be people looking for good mechanics.

What you said earlier about it being difficult to get a job and that garages are just looking to employ cheaper staff, Im getting sick of it, the local garage I usually get my car serviced in got rid of their irish mechanics and hired a load of non-irish mechanics, when my car was serviced by one of them they broke the connector for my headlight and never said anything, also did p1ss poor job of the rest and ended up bringing it to a proper ford garage (sdfc) who did a good service and resolved any remaining issues.

Moral of story is, I would rather pay the difference in getting proper service from irish qualified staff than line the pockets of garage owners hiring cheap unskilled(imo) staff.

depends who or where you go tbh i know a privateier who does more work then most garages do and gets paid much more, he has none of the qualifcation like they do but id ratehr have him have a look at it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Ah well I have no problems with my mechanic ... three or four lads running a small garage nearby. They know their stuff and the won't rip you off. (Mayo)

Riv

I take your point, and I would love to know a local mechanic that I could rely on to service my car regularly, unfortunately my own experience has me going back to dealer service every time now as now I trust them from previous services. Wallet doesnt much like my decision though!

his names Ger Byrne , lives on the end of the pigeonhouse road ( going along side the east link , in the cottages there ) has a few cars outside ( on the grass along the wall) , does work on every car in d4 and surrounding areas.

will get a phone number later if possable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

liljenny wrote: »
    as the title says im looking for mechanics apprenticeship and hve no idea how to go about finding one, any help much appreciated.
    Keep dropping off Cv's and see what you get. I dropped off 12 Cv's and within a week I got an apprentiship at a main dealer. That was pot luck though:D
    I'd say go down to a Fas office and see what they have.

Advertisement