Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inserting new bios chip.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done it before?

I need some tips.

I have a v.small square bios chip with 4 pins on each side. It is brand new.

So do i just chop out the old one. SOlder the new one. Turn on the comp and then i should be a ble to flash new bios? Or is this new chip very blank and i need to do something else.

I am waiting for reply from bios fash.uk on HOW TO do this properly but if you guys know i would like to give it a crack today.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Has anyone done it before?

I need some tips.

I have a v.small square bios chip with 4 pins on each side. It is brand new.

So do i just chop out the old one. SOlder the new one. Turn on the comp and then i should be a ble to flash new bios? Or is this new chip very blank and i need to do something else.

I am waiting for reply from bios fash.uk on HOW TO do this properly but if you guys know i would like to give it a crack today.

Is your original BIOS in a socket or soldered to the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

it is currently soldered. It is a bad chip. So i got a new one off the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dont think u can, I've replaced bios chips before, but they were in a socket, not soldered. The chip you've recieved sounds like the ones I've used.

This is a pick a bios chip in the socket.
    chipbios2fp9.th.jpg
    Is this what u got? Without the socket i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I suggest you get good practice before you try de solder and solder the chip back on .
    Goodluck.

No i have anexact replica of the one soldered on. I have a bit of practice on soldering but will definitely wait til im more confodent.

Should a new blank bios chip flash normally? As in all i have to do is flash the bios as if it was the old one etc.?

Thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I really have to advise you to not try this. It would be much simpler to just RMA your board.. As you will mroe then likely brick it.

Anti wrote: »
    I really have to advise you to not try this. It would be much simpler to just RMA your board.. As you will mroe then likely brick it.

+1, can't see it working TBH

The chip in question should be flashed already or else your computer cannot start up :)

Anyway if you feel confident go ahead and solder it , it's not rocket science.
    If your really paranoid you can just solder on wires and then solder the chip to the wires .
    If not rma like it was suggested.
    What?

im going to give it a go tomorrow. Bit tired now. It should be simple enough anyway. Just have to practice my steady hand. I bought the board off ebay so i cant rma. second hand like.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I bought the board off ebay so i cant rma. second hand like.

Got nothin 2 loose then really, go for it

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin
    I take it you've never soldered or did digital electronics before ?
    Anyway let us know how she went :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

if its an average 8 pin pic then got a pic holder solder that in and them place the pic in the holder. ya have less chance to damage the pic from heat and cheaper if ya make a mess of it.
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0813143#header

Here is a pic of what my 8 pin bios looks like

http://s219846715.e-shop.info/shop/system/detailimage?shop_param=cid%3D2%26aid%3D17%26position%3Dposition1%26

Do you think that pic holder thing is compatible? Looks handy indeed. I am a bit curious how it will work though.

Those pins sticking out at the bottom. Are they the ones that get solered. And what are the holes on the top for? is that where the legs of my bios chip go? I think i will go order one of them as it would make life very easy and i will make less of a mess.

Thanks for that link:)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

that's the idea anyway, there are different types around so check the size of ur chip. with circuity so close use a low heat and increase temp if you have to.

good luck

Advertisement