Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook .msg viewer app or library

Options
  • 19-05-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Need to send .msg files as attachments to a recipient that uses lotus notes.

Anyone know of a free standalone reader for Outlook .msg messages?
    Or a library that might help in writing one?
    Or a plugin for Notes that allows reading of Outlook files?
    An alternative would be a means of batch converting .msg files (possibly themselves containing attachments) to something readable by notes, e.g. rtf.

(Key word here is free - googling has turned up loads of apparently free stuff, but it's all free trials then 40 or 50 dollars)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You can programatically extract the contents of an msg file and save it as your desired format.

For example

Sub ExportAll()

Dim Message As MailItem

Set myNameSpace = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set myInbox = myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)

For Each Message In myInbox.Items
    Message.SaveAs "C:\MailMessages\" & Message.Subject & ".txt", olTXT
    Next Message

End Sub

Within Outlook or within an application you can make yourself you can use the Outlook API to do all the work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for that, but I don't think it will work in my case, as the machine I'm sending from won't have Outlook installed either. I should have been clearer.

Basically I'm extracting a number of files from an archive (among which may be .msg files saved there from machines using outlook) and mailing them using SMTP to a recipient who is using Notes.

So I either need a way on the receiving end of reading the file (with an extranl viewer, or within Notes), or on the sending end of converting it, but without any access to Outlook itself on either end. And free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

What technology will you be using to make this if you were to make it..

You could use .NET and install the Outlook interop assemblies to do this I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Was hoping to get away with VB6, as that's what I'm using to do the extracting and mailing, but .NET might be an option, I'll take a look at that, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JustAFriend

Yes, indeed there are no such free tools available out there.

Still, lots of people are searching for solutions, for applications to read outlook MSG files. For those who search around forums, find this thread and are looking for such tools, one of them which I can recommend can be found here:

http://pstwalker.com/msgviewer.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement