Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friendly: Shamrock Rovers -v- Sunderland Aug 9th

• 19-05-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

From www.shamrockrovers.ie

HOOPS TO FACE BLACK CATS

As part of the build-up to next season’s English Premier League, Roy Keane’s Sunderland play Shamrock Rovers in a friendly at Tolka Park, on Saturday August 9th.

Says Shamrock Rovers Marketing Director, Mark Lynch: “We’re delighted to play host to Sunderland, the first EPL side to meet Rovers since the fans took over the club three years ago.

“This will be a big, family occasion and we’re looking forward to showing Sunderland fans and the Dublin public in general what Shamrock Rovers is all about.”

THE DETAILS
    Shamrock Rovers v Sunderland
    Tolka Park, Saturday August 9th
    KO 7.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ooooh which to wear - Celtic jersey or Sunderland jersey. Decisions, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on....er....Rovers :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ooooh which to wear - Celtic jersey or Sunderland jersey. Decisions, decisions.

Celtic shirt? :confused:

Great chance to fleece the barstoolers and put it towords our clubhouse. And possibly win over a few younger fans in the process.

Niall Quinn is a member of Rovers, so no fear of the disgraceful scenes in Dalymount that marred the B*hs game.....

Great chance to fleece the barstoolers and put it towords our clubhouse.
    QFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Celtic shirt? :confused:

Looks like a Rovers shirt. That's close enough for the casual skangers who will no doubt pop along.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Looks like a Rovers shirt. That's close enough for the casual skangers who will no doubt pop along.

So in fact, you have nothing to contribute here other than infantile name calling.

Thanks for that.

Anyway, seemingly Sunderland are taking 1,500 tickets for their locals.

Their locas here, or their locals there?

DesF wrote: »

Locals as in locals to them.

If I meant barstoolers, I would have said so. ;)

Looking forward to mingling with them at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

;)

Their locals there. Sunderland Travel (the official travel partner of SAFC apparently) are offering packages for the game for any Sunderland fans wanting to travel over, from Sunderland.

As for Sunderland fans here I'm sure they can contact SAFC for tickets as they would for other Sunderland away games.

albertw wrote: »

As for Sunderland fans here I'm sure they can contact SAFC for tickets as they would for other Sunderland away games.

Rovers aren't selling tickets to Sunderland Fans? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Niall Quinn is a member of Rovers, so no fear of the disgraceful scenes in Dalymount that marred the B*hs game.....

lol?

bohsman wrote: »
    lol?

You tell me. The entire sports media there and all they reported was Bertie giving out about the B*hs fans abusing Mrs Quinn and some inane song about Roy Keanes dog.

Anyway, we digress. I might start up a 'what is wrong with B*hs' thread, specifically in relation to bridging loans and the resignation of your PRO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You tell me. The entire sports media there and all they reported was Bertie giving out about the B*hs fans abusing Mrs Quinn and some inane song about Roy Keanes dog.

Anyway, we digress. I might start up a 'what is wrong with B*hs' thread, specifically in relation to bridging loans and the resignation of your PRO.

On the first part, poor Bertie, hes lucky he never has to go to a Rovers game to hear some of the naughty things they sing.

Theres a few going on the bohs mb already, feel free to give your opinion there, everyone agrees its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Rovers aren't selling tickets to Sunderland Fans? :confused:

No idea. Theres nothing on the Rovers or Sunderland websites about tickets yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great chance to fleece the barstoolers. And possibly win over a few younger fans in the process.

Yes. Doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will Shel's be getting a cut of the gate receipts?:confused:

SantryRed wrote: »
    Will Shel's be getting a cut of the gate receipts?:confused:

I doubt it, you don't for any other games.

Yes. Doubt it.

Interestingly, we did a straw poll on the Rovers forum a few months ago and a sizeable chunk of fans in their thirties first Rovers game was the Shay Brennan testimonial versus Man Utd in Milltown in 86. Rovers won, which might have helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Interestingly, we did a straw poll on the Rovers forum a few months ago and a sizeable chunk of fans in their thirties first Rovers game was the Shay Brennan testimonial versus Man Utd in Milltown in 86. Rovers won, which might have helped!

Was that the 3-2? think i was at that.

Good game for Rovers to get but tolka wont be big enough RDS would be better suited.

kdjac

Interesting aswell, I'm just going from our game against Leeds last season, about 5,000 at the match (even according to people on Shelsweb saying 3,000) and I doubt many of them have returned.

• Advertisement

I doubt it, you don't for any other games.

Possibly though, afaik Rovers pay at the start of the season for X amount of games so if they didn't have friendlies incl. we possibly could.

Could be a nice earner aswell, with Rovers probably not having to pay Sunderland (Niall Quinn being a Rovers member) and the amount of bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Mot of these pre seasons (like the bray v newcastle ones before) only go on sale weeks before the event and generally not too many takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

smog wrote: »
    Mot of these pre seasons (like the bray v newcastle ones before) only go on sale weeks before the event and generally not too many takers.

nearly sure they available via certain ticketing website now.

Athlone is the other team they playing.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Good game for Rovers to get but tolka wont be big enough RDS would be better suited.
    Was big enough when we played them, just before Keane took over as manager iirc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Great chance to fleece the barstoolers and put it towords our clubhouse. And possibly win over a few younger fans in the process.

yeah. stoopid barstoolers. they are so stoopid, dont they realise u have to be level 8 at football to really enjoy this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Was big enough when we played them, just before Keane took over as manager iirc.

Though the Sunderireland project was just at an embryonic stage at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

You'll be in sh1t football heaven.

Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Great chance to fleece the barstoolers

Seconded. Those barstoolers, paying cash to see a team they take an interest in, mugs the lot of them. Sunderland and Celtic are the only reasons the EL isnt bigger than La Liga. :rolleyes: And if Keane and Quinn didnt encourage them to spend abroad Drumaville would have pumped their funds into an EL club, FACT. :o

Not that Id actually go, I half wish to see Sunderland stay in the prem only because of the Irish connection and its squad of mediocre paddys. tbh without it Id gladly swap their place for Reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

shane86 wrote: »
    Seconded. Those barstoolers, paying cash to see a team they have started to take an interest in since the Keane /Oirish bandwagon rolled in, mugs the lot of them.

Corrected for truth.

Maybe there could be gradated ticket prices: normal price for traveling SAFC fans/SRFC members and fans, and a slightly higher price for local SAFC fans?

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement