Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the penalty for being caught with people in the back of a van?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was approached by four mates looking for a lift at 3 am the other night coming from a Gig. I turned them down because two would have to go into the back of the van and I wasn't going to risk it. My tax was also out by a few weeks as it was which is enough to draw the cops attention. I was called a Bol***x for not offering them a lift. What would have been the penalty If I was caught? Dose points apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bugger that. Tell them to piss off, I wouldnt risk them or me either. Its nothing to do with the cops, I just wouldnt like to have their deaths on my concience if an accident happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its the insurance, they could sue you for everything you are worth for the rest of your life as your vehicle wouldn't be insured for the passengers. Fair play to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

I used to do this all the time, ferrying lads into gigs in Dublin. I was caught once by the cops, pleaded ignorance and they just amde them get out. Poor ****ers had to walk 2 miles from the bottom of the Quays.

As a student the best I got one night was 9 people in a 2 seat van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Phaetonman wrote: »
    I used to do this all the time, ferrying lads into gigs in Dublin. I was caught once by the cops, pleaded ignorance and they just amde them get out. Poor ****ers had to walk 2 miles from the bottom of the Quays.

As a student the best I got one night was 9 people in a 2 seat van.
    Before the seat belt law came into effect it was not uncommon to see 9 people squished into in a low roof Ford Transit or a Toyota Hiace :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

I remember the days going to football games with the team in the back of a hiace van with wooden benches on either side.

I say the teams travelling SUV nowdays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Before the seat belt law came into effect it was not uncommon to see 9 people squished into in a low roof Ford Transit or a Toyota Hiace :eek:
    We're talking a Citroen ZX carvan here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I always have to say no to people too. I don't want to risk what I do for a living and all that goes with it, just to save some people I don't even know a taxi fare or a bit of exercise.

Would like to know the penalty though, I've done it a handful of times:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your “so-called” friends would not have been slow to sue you if they thought a mega compo package was possible after an accident.

Sorry, I don’t know the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

cormie wrote: »
    Would like to know the penalty though, I've done it a handful of times:o
    I would assume you could be done points for not having "seat belts" belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Don't think so if the passengers are over 17, or is it 18? or 16? They are responsible for their own belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Whats the penalty for being caught with people in the back of a van?

Depends on what you're doing and whether or not animals are involved. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just reminded me of the time we were going to a talk by the councillors and planners involved in Adamstown and 9 of us piled out of the back of a seat inca, they didnt know where to look!!

Advertisement