Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Curious problem with 2001 Opel Astra 1.6

Options
  • 19-05-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Dear Forum,

I have been experiencing a curious problem with my otherwise wonderful 2001 Opel Astra automatic (91k Km). Maybe someone has some insights.

The car starts just fine, and will run well, until it gets moving fast on a highway or long downhill stretch. Then, the temperature will descend to near or below the 80 degree line, and the engine will inevitably begin to run roughly. If I now slow down for a light or a turn, once the rpm go down around 1k the engine will drop down to about 500 rpm and then just stall. Sometimes it takes a little waiting (1-2 minutes) unitl the car will start up and stay running.

I have tried various experiments, and I seem to detect less of a tendency to this stalling if the A/C is working (is that possible?).

The car had an EGR replacement (by previous owner) about 2 years ago, and my very helpful mechanic just cleaned out a ton of gunk from the hoses feeding the EGR. But this did not solve the problem.

I am not confident that I understand the issue of the engine running cold (thermostat stuck open?), or if it actually has anything to do with the stalling or not. I read that Opels have a problem with their EGR mechanism, but right now the car is being serviced to replace the timing belt and other goodies.

Should I have my mechanic look into the stepper motor and/or timing belt and pulleys? Could such a problem of stalling be electrical? Choke? EGR? What should I do if the problem persists, even after replacing and cleaning and spraying the moving parts in the vicinity of mid-engine.

Advertisement