Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clatter , clatter bang, oh it's the Brown bin.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

It seems that the brown bins have arrived in more of D15.
    The collection of the black bin is being scaled back now that it had arrived.

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/the_brown_bin.html

Waste I CAN put in my Brown Bin
    Kitchen food scraps
    Plate Scrapings,
    fruit & veg
    Tea bags, Coffee grinds & paper filters
    Breads,cakes & biscuits
    Soups & sauces
    Eggs & dairy products
    Out of date food
    Paper napkins & paper towels
    Food-soiled cardboard or paper
    Plant trimmings
    Grass clippings & leaves
    Cut flowers,old plants, moss & weeds

Waste I CAN'T put in my Brown Bin
    NO plastics
    NO metal
    Tin foil
    Sweet & crisp wrappers
    Newspaper/cardboard
    Light bulbs & batteries
    Electrical goods & furniture
    NO oils
    NO glass
    Crockery
    Milk/Juice Cartons
    Rubber Gloves
    Nappies/Sanitary items
    Toiletries/Medicines
    Clothes/Shoes
    Ashes & coal
    Rocks, gravel, clay
    Pesticide
    Pesticide containers
    Weed killer & weed sprayed with weed killer

The brown kitchen caddy looks certainly big enough but thankfully small enough that it can be hosed down and stuck in the dishwasher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Still havent recieved any in my estate to date, is there a phased timetable for their delivery to different estates etc?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't know ours arrive unannounced this morning.
    There is brown bin help line which you can ring, they might be able to anwer that.

Brownbin helpline: 018906753
    E-mail: brownbins@fingalcoco.ie

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't know ours arrive unannounced this morning.
    There is brown bin help line which you can ring, they might be able to anwer that.

Brownbin helpline: 018906753
    E-mail: brownbins@fingalcoco.ie

Nice one, thanks for that, i'd already contacted Fingal Co Co through that email address (no reply from them either) but hadn't got the phone number, will give them a bell this afternoon.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Your welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rats! I dont want one, no more than I want to pay €110 for the 'privilege' of getting one.
    I already compost so its of no use to me. ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

"Food and Garden waste makes up one third of the total waste produced in an average household. "

Excuse the pun, but that's rubbish. Food and garden waste makes up about 1% of my household waste. I only make/cook what I'll eat, and my gardening effort averages about 5 minutes per year.

Now, granted that others may be more enthusiastic about gardening, and I know most families prepare more food than they actually eat, but one third seems an excessively high estimate.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to put in the brown bin. It's been in my garden for 3 weeks and I've put one item in it. And yet, I still have to pay for it, and now you mention are reduction in the black bin service!

Well given the size of my gardens (front & back are quite large) my black bin tends to be half full of grass cuttings every fornight or so at this time of year so the brown bin for me will be a help in that department (used to compost but it became a problem so dont anymore thanks to my 'friendly' neighbour), as for food waste, being honest thats practically zero for me, as mentioned above i tend to only prepare enough to eat & not have alot of leftovers so i reckon i'll get little use of it outside the grass cutting months, knowing my luck though i'll get the brown bin at the end of the summer & not need the thing until next spring though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

DvB wrote: »
    used to compost but it became a problem so dont anymore thanks to my 'friendly' neighbour
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

it takes most of the heavy stuff from the black bin.with the two brown collections and the two greens,i only put the black one out once or maybe twice a month now.

dodgyme wrote: »
    :confused:

It became a compost heap for two (or more!!), only some of the stuff being lobbed over the wall wasn't entirely suitable for composting and it just wasn't worth the effort after a while, they denied everything when challenged on it into the bargain,despite it being physically impossible for anyone else to carry out the 'dumping'

• Advertisement

Well given the size of my gardens (front & back are quite large) my black bin tends to be half full of grass cuttings every fornight or so at this time of year so the brown bin for me will be a help in that department (used to compost but it became a problem so dont anymore thanks to my 'friendly' neighbour), as for food waste, being honest thats practically zero for me, as mentioned above i tend to only prepare enough to eat & not have alot of leftovers so i reckon i'll get little use of it outside the grass cutting months, knowing my luck though i'll get the brown bin at the end of the summer & not need the thing until next spring though :rolleyes:
    i thought castaheany had the brown bins a long time now.

greatgoal wrote: »
    i thought castaheany had the brown bins a long time now.

AFAIK it was only the actual Castaheany Estate that has gotten them so far, not the entire Castaheany area which includes some of the surrounding housing developments, one of which is where i live.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Fingal are a joke. Another bloody bin. Where the hell are we supposed to put them? We compost practially everything in my house and eat everything else. Which is good because our black bin is only collected every other week because of cars parked in our estate because of no parking at the train station because Fingal wont provide it!:mad:Jeez who are the idiots who run this organization? And dont even get me going on the planning in the area .:mad: Fingal County Council ARE A BUNCH OF F*****G EEGITS.:mad:GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

We were one of the estates that first got the brown bins, oh, maybe 3 years ago already. I like it, it works ok and it saves one the hassle of composting, or alternatively, saves you money by not having to put it in the black bin.

Besides, and most people don't think of it this way, it's much much better for the environment.

I do think however that the small brown caddy (for inside your pad) is a really stupid design and that FCC should've done some more research into the shape of the thing before they bought 1000's of them. Not that you're forced to use them though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

It became a compost heap for two (or more!!), only some of the stuff being lobbed over the wall wasn't entirely suitable for composting and it just wasn't worth the effort after a while, they denied everything when challenged on it into the bargain,despite it being physically impossible for anyone else to carry out the 'dumping'

That is unbelieveable. What a shower of *****

thats unreal,some necks.

The house was being rented at the time & i kid you not when i tell you there was at least 10-12 people living there, not bad for a 3 bed semi!!!

When i confronted a couple of them about it at their hall door they first tried to fob me off implying they spoke no English, cut through that nonsense & they denied any involvement & proceeded to slam the door in my face, to say i was ready to kill is an understatment, thankfully they moved out soon after, felt sorry for the landlord at the time as the house must have been destroyed given the amount of time the refurbishment took after they'd left.
    By then i'd given up the compsting & just cant be arsed starting it up again.

The house was being rented at the time & i kid you not when i tell you there was at least 10-12 people living there, not bad for a 3 bed semi!!!

When i confronted a couple of them about it at their hall door they first tried to fob me off implying they spoke no English, cut through that nonsense & they denied any involvement & proceeded to slam the door in my face, to say i was ready to kill is an understatment, thankfully they moved out soon after, felt sorry for the landlord at the time as the house must have been destroyed given the amount of time the refurbishment took after they'd left.
    By then i'd given up the compsting & just cant be arsed starting it up again.
    jaysus,i dont blame you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Fingal are a joke. Another bloody bin. Where the hell are we supposed to put them? We compost practially everything in my house and eat everything else.
    Same here so I told Fingal to take the brown bin back. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I presume they still charge the €110 a year though daymo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Zaph wrote: »

And probably a collection charge for taking the bin back :D

Zaph wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes.
    I tried to argue the annual charge with the Director of Services (PJ Howell) when I wrote to him last year.
    I was suggesting an increase in the bin tag would be more fair for people who compose. He said that they did a survey (no one I've met) and more than 50% preferred the annual charge. He also said that the EPA said that there would be an increase in illegal dumping if the bin tag charge was increased.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes.
    I tried to argue the annual charge with the Director of Services (PJ Howell) when I wrote to him last year.
    I was suggesting an increase in the bin tag would be more fair for people who compose. He said that they did a survey (no one I've met) and more than 50% preferred the annual charge. He also said that the EPA said that there would be an increase in illegal dumping if the bin tag charge was increased.
    but sure as soon as this 110e charge is implemented theres going to be an increase in illegal dumping.

Is it true that the brown bin is full of air holes on the bottom? In that case all the yucky smelly liquid would leak onto the ground! I dont want that outside my door. Could you imagine the flies and bluebottles:eek:

T-Maxx wrote: »
    We were one of the estates that first got the brown bins, oh, maybe 3 years ago already. I like it, it works ok and it saves one the hassle of composting, or alternatively, saves you money by not having to put it in the black bin.

Besides, and most people don't think of it this way, it's much much better for the environment.

I do think however that the small brown caddy (for inside your pad) is a really stupid design and that FCC should've done some more research into the shape of the thing before they bought 1000's of them. Not that you're forced to use them though...
    I will refuse to take it.

Is it true that the brown bin is full of air holes on the bottom? In that case all the yucky smelly liquid would leak onto the ground! I dont want that outside my door. Could you imagine the flies and bluebottles:eek:

No, it's sealed just like the grey and green bins.

I think the best solution would simply be to implement bin tags for the other ( ie green and brown) bins as well, and at an appropriate rate.

Example:

Grey tag for grey bin - €8
    Green tag for green bin - €3
    Brown tag for brown bin - €2

or whatever the powers that be calculate it at. This way there will be a true incentive to reduce/re-use/recycle. And, you'll truly only pay for what you throw away.

I think the best solution would simply be to implement bin tags for the other ( ie green and brown) bins as well, and at an appropriate rate.

Example:

Grey tag for grey bin - €8
    Green tag for green bin - €3
    Brown tag for brown bin - €2

or whatever the powers that be calculate it at. This way there will be a true incentive to reduce/re-use/recycle. And, you'll truly only pay for what you throw away.
    Of course it all goes back to manufacturers and suppliers who package everything. But thats another story. God be with the days when you bought loose tea and butter in a bit of paper and you brought your own bag to the shops.....................:)

No, it's sealed just like the grey and green bins.
    Actually, I think that there are air holes on the side near the top.
    greatgoal wrote:
    but sure as soon as this 110e charge is implemented theres going to be an increase in illegal dumping.
    I should have mentioned Mr Howell's counter argument - apparently the EPA said that increasing the bin tag charge (e.g. to 15 or so euro) would generate more illegal dumping than the annual charge + unchanged bin tag charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

Someone i met recently from mulhuddart was complaining about the need to fit a third bin in her side entrance. I pointed out that the opportunity to reduce her general waste by putting veg peelings, grass cuttings and teabags into somewhere without a charge would surely help. She quickly retorted by saying "vegetable peelings??? ". Dear oh dear, she thinks that they are manufactured and spray painted by ICELAND.:D

Advertisement