Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clatter , clatter bang, oh it's the Brown bin.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

Not just for the last poster, but you all better look long-term. Its not about your minor inconvenience as you adjust to using the brown bin over the easter holidays or whatever. Its all about the long-term aggregated effect of everyone learning to aim for zero waste. There are some schoold of thought that say your black bin should be taken off you because you will not need it at all once you refuse packaging from retailers and use more of what you buy, buy more judiciously and separate your waste as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Not just for the last poster, but you all better look long-term. Its not about your minor inconvenience as you adjust to using the brown bin over the easter holidays or whatever. Its all about the long-term aggregated effect of everyone learning to aim for zero waste. There are some schoold of thought that say your black bin should be taken off you because you will not need it at all once you refuse packaging from retailers and use more of what you buy, buy more judiciously and separate your waste as much as possible

Totally agree. Buy from local butcher and veg shop.For food waste that you cannot put in compost ,just liquidize it and put it down the toilet like "other" food waste. If the brown bin is for recyclin food waste and being use for compost will we get a form of mad cow ? Isnt that how the other one started? The animals were eating recycled animals! .....I refused the brown bin. ......................:)

Totally agree. Buy from local butcher and veg shop.For food waste that you cannot put in compost ,just liquidize it and put it down the toilet like "other" food waste. If the brown bin is for recyclin food waste and being use for compost will we get a form of mad cow ? Isnt that how the other one started? The animals were eating recycled animals! .....I refused the brown bin. ......................:)

You haven't a clue. You shouldn't be liquidising anything and putting it into the toilet as this makes the cleansing of you poops much more difficult and inefficient. Also you will find two or three other mistakes with your wonderful post. There are animals that are exclusively bred by millions of years of evolution to exclusively just eat other animals, they are called microbes. Also you will find two other mistakes with your wonderful little post. Mad cow disease was related to animals eating their own kind. And composting really returns the materials of food waste to plant forms.

I'll make a bet, you will be using the brown bin within a number of moinths when you see how much you can put in it and how much you will save. if you steadfastly refuse to do the right thing then at least do it for selfish reasons.

moooo:P

moooo:P

Just in from the pub then? Splendid.

• Advertisement

Are you? Did you have a good night?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Please keep on topic and leave out the sniping at one another guys. I won't be asking so nicely next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Still havent got a brown bin yet, so havent been asked to pay anything.
    I'll be refusing the bin as I compost evreything I can anyway.
    They can whistle for the €110, I'll pay it when I pay my water rates!

I sincerely hope you're successful with that des, but as far as I'm aware their argument is that the charge isn't specifically for the brown bin, but also covers the extra green bin collections, improved recycling facilities and the overall cost of recycling. I don't compost, I've no need for a compost heap seeing as I hate gardening, so unfortunately I can't even try that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Zaph wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is about paying the feckin' charge for the bins? I got my brown bin about a month ago, and I was in the Eurospar in Hartstown earlier and saw a sign saying the bin charges could be paid there. Presumably FCC send out bills first, or is it up to you to find out how much you owe?
    they send every household out a payment card with a unique i.d. number ,you have 2 months to pay,once youve paid the 50 euro due they send out 3 stickers,one for each bin,you can also pay off next years charge bit by bit if you like,using your card,works well,i paid mine online the other day,good system,no hassles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I sincerely hope you're successful with that des, but as far as I'm aware their argument is that the charge isn't specifically for the brown bin, but also covers the extra green bin collections, improved recycling facilities and the overall cost of recycling. I don't compost, I've no need for a compost heap seeing as I hate gardening, so unfortunately I can't even try that argument.

I doubt I will ;), eventually they will nail me - like death, the payment of taxes, however unfair they are, is a certainty!!
    I just feel it's very annnoying that a blitzkreig approach to getting money out of citizens has been adaopted once again by Fingal Coco. I would be happy to pay for the services they make available, but only for what I get not a flat fee.
    Its like a hairdresser asking you to pay a surcharge of €50 every time you go in because they have made lots of extra services available like highlighting and perms and colouring etc and these are expensive and really everyone needs to help pay for them. So what, I'm half bald and I'll never use the extra services so why charge me? Just charge me my €10 for trimming my ear hair and I'll be on my way, let those who need the other services pay for them!

The bin tag system was fair and equitable, and literally you only paid for what you throw away, a great idea. Now I'm expected to pay anyway regardless of how few bins I put out. Truly a giant backward step by the council. They should have just put tags on all the bins, and if they were taken away you paid. Bottom line is the council got greedy, and if they show the faces on my doorstep they will be told this in no uncertain terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got my brown bin in Ongar last week. 3 bins now cramped outside my door. Can't say I'm best pleased with it.
    No mention of any service charge yet or bill through the door.

deswalsh wrote: »
    They should have just put tags on all the bins, and if they were taken away you paid.

I agree 100%. A €2-3 tag for each green or brown bin would be fair imo and I'd have no problem paying it as it would be in propoortion to the service I'm availing of. The flat fee without any consideration for how little or how much people might use the extra collections is what I object to.
    Bottom line is the council got greedy, and if they show the faces on my doorstep they will be told this in no uncertain terms.

And I'll be doing the same when they come around looking for my vote in the local elections next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

I have been using the brown bin since it was introduced in June and have powerhosed it a number of times but after putting it out this morning and looking inside I felt sick looking at the amount of magets and flies.

I am all for recycleing but this brown bin is a health hazard and am thinking about not using it,

what,you mean you just put the stuff into the bin loose,youre supposed to line the bin with cardboard and wrap everything in newspaper or paper bags.i personally use biodegradable bags,this keeps the bin spotless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

THe biodegrable bags esp for the kitchen caddy are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Where can you get these biodegradable bags? I have foolishly thrown some food into the brown bin and now have a bit of a fly problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I picked them up in the local dunnes stores, the ones I got are called greensax are 100% compostable and there are a range of sizes from kitchen caddy to for the brown bin it's self.

http://greensax.com/
    bag_packa.jpg

Is it ok to put a biodegradeable bag into the brown bin? I didn't because I thought they mightn't have collected it if they thought it was just a regular bag.

Our black bins are collected every wednesday. This week everyone put them out and 1 person put their brown bin out. The lorry came and emptied the brown bin and left all the black bins. So from now on we will stand at the ready with all bins lined up and when the bin lorry comes we shout"Black Brown or Green?" then run out with the right one. Could be a new game show in this:D

• Advertisement

You're forgetting that there's now one week a month when the black bins aren't collected. Those calendars they sent out aren't exactly designed to avoid confurion.

You're forgetting that there's now one week a month when the black bins aren't collected. Those calendars they sent out aren't exactly designed to avoid confurion.
    Confurioned is right! My neighbours or I never received any calendars. Brown bins were just left in the middle of the road one morning.

There was an envelope attached to mine with info on what you can and can't put in the bin as well as a collection calendar. I suggest you give them a call, I'm sure they'll send more out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

It was seriously lashin rain when I got my envelope and I couldn't open it without tearing it. I rang for another one and haven't heard anything since.

keep at them or ask the lads on the truck,they got me a couple.

Confurioned is right! My neighbours or I never received any calendars. Brown bins were just left in the middle of the road one morning.

I got a calendar for about 3 years before the green bin finally arrived, but now that I have a green bin I find they only come on half the dates they say they will.

As said before, there's a game in this somewhere, if only Hasbro could come up with a nice board for it.

I got a calendar for about 3 years before the green bin finally arrived, but now that I have a green bin I find they only come on half the dates they say they will.

As said before, there's a game in this somewhere, if only Hasbro could come up with a nice board for it.
    ring oxygen,thats their baby...for another little while anyway,then greyhound will take it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

just out of curiosity , can you or cant you hand back your brown bin and just have the 2 others (green and black)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

just out of curiosity , can you or cant you hand back your brown bin and just have the 2 others (green and black)?

You can hand it back, but you will still be charged for it.

Apparently they swiped a barcode thing when they gave it to you and that's your account.

My dad told them he didn't want it before they swiped it and they took it back no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

You can hand it back, but you will still be charged for it.

Apparently they swiped a barcode thing when they gave it to you and that's your account.

My dad told them he didn't want it before they swiped it and they took it back no problem.

that means your being forced to pay for something that
    (A) you didn't ask for
    and
    (B) something you dont want.?
    and i suppose it's your local councillors that came up with this wonderful idea?

Advertisement