Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clatter , clatter bang, oh it's the Brown bin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My dad told them he didn't want it before they swiped it and they took it back no problem.
    The morning they delivered my brown bin I rang to ask them to take it back - with composting and eating everything on my dinner plate (or giving stuff to the birds) I don't have anything to put into it.

I did get a long intimidating letter telling me of my legal obligations to separate my waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

is there any circumstances they will take them back??

When our neighbours brown bins were collected, the bin men left all food around the top of the bin, which attract bucket loads of flies!

it was vile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

daymobrew wrote: »
    The morning they delivered my brown bin I rang to ask them to take it back - with composting and eating everything on my dinner plate (or giving stuff to the birds) I don't have anything to put into it.

I did get a long intimidating letter telling me of my legal obligations to separate my waste.

Same with my family. No use for it as everything either gets composted or eaten.

He didn't get any letter, because they never swiped the barcode. Thus no account to send threatening letters about.

He didn't get any letter, because they never swiped the barcode. Thus no account to send threatening letters about.
    Has he phoned the Environment section of FCC? Try 890-5473, or the main number 809-5000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Has he phoned the Environment section of FCC? Try 890-5473, or the main number 809-5000.

daymobrew, he's not having any problems... he's not getting charged for something he doesn't have. He's happy!

I've just seen other people on this thread complaining because they're getting charged for something they are not using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

i got a reminder letter the other day to pay the new charges that were introduced following the distribution of the brown bin, basically the letter stated if the charge wasn't paid by a certain date then i'd have no bin collections incl. black and green. i rang F.C.C. telling them i wanted to give back the brown bin and explained why. they said they'll collect it within 10 working days, i told them i would'nt have a problem paying the current charge they sent out as i gave the brown bin a go and found it not worth my while using it, i then asked about future charges and they said that even though i've handed back the brown bin i'll still have to pay the yearly €110 or what ever it is, as the charge covers all the bins and not just the brown.
    The true definition of stealth? these new charges!
    so remember folks if you use the brown bin or hand it back your still going to have to pay.
    T.B.H. i'm gobsmacked at this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Fingal did say that we were going to have to pay either way, although they niced it up as a payment for improved services.
    Still a sickener!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tuffyotoole

we got our brown bin couple of months back and at the time i was all for it,but then having used it for food waste(and i did use the green sacks) we soon had a fly problem.after the bin was collected we hosed it out(much bloody good it did).we went back to using it with the green sacks still and we got flys and magotts.it got so bad that the maggots were in the bin accross the patio and overnight they had made there way under my patio doors and into the kitchen(yuck).
    needless to say my stomach turned and i had to call out an exterminator at a cost of €140.he sprayed the bin and the house and thankfully we dont have maggots in the house anymore.but the bin is still covered with them.ive tried to ring the council but i keep getting put through to different people all of whom claim that its not there department.
    so i have to pay€ 110 a year for a f**king health hazard and €140 for an exterminator.this is crazy.i never had any problems with the black bin.:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Why exactly are you gobsmacked? Did you honestly think that the new charge is soley to cover Fingal's provision of the brown bin service?

They could have just charged us the €110 years ago. I guess they decided to hold off on the annual charge until they gave people another option for reducing what they put in the black bin. There's nothing stealth about it.

Maybe they should introduce a discount for people who don't want/use the brown bin service, I wouldn't be against that idea. But for people to suggest that they shouldn't pay any of the €110 annual charge because they've handed back the brown bin is ridiculous. It's like asking other people to pay towards their bin service.

If you don't like Fingal's service, you could always move to a private operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

PauloMN wrote: »
    If you don't like Fingal's service, you could always move to a private operator.

That would be nice, but then Fingal are banning all private waste companies as they are making them loose more money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Is it true that the brown bin is full of air holes on the bottom? In that case all the yucky smelly liquid would leak onto the ground! I dont want that outside my door. Could you imagine the flies and bluebottles:eek:

seems like alot of people are not using the brown bins because of this. With more density in population and increase in the number of bins and providers I think fingal have shown they are aloof of understanding any density higher then a semi-detached which is probably what most people in fingal live in. With increases in density and greater number of apartments and houses without side access surely Fingal must cop themselves on an bring in some provision for the bins with for example bye-laws to stop bins being left outside houses or thrown in bunches around apartment blocks? particularly where a management company will not deal with the issue or where there is no management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

dodgyme wrote: »
    seems like alot of people are not using the brown bins because of this. With more density in population and increase in the number of bins and providers I think fingal have shown they are aloof of understanding any density higher then a semi-detached which is probably what most people in fingal live in. With increases in density and greater number of apartments and houses without side access surely Fingal must cop themselves on an bring in some provision for the bins with for example bye-laws to stop bins being left outside houses or thrown in bunches around apartment blocks? particularly where a management company will not deal with the issue or where there is no management company.

Is this how urban myths get started? My brown bin has two vents but they are high up and just under the handle on the back. Like about 3 feet off the ground and the bin physiclly wouldn't let liquid out unless I put on my garden hose and allowed 120 Litres of water into it. As I'm also in Fingal I would be surprised if we have diff bin designs.

In any case read the leaflet they gave you. Mine says you should try to keep the bin dry inside and what will help is wrapping your food waste with a sheet of newspaper. You are also advised to put a sheet of thick cardboard at the bottom of the bin to soak up small leaks. You are not meant to be putting liquid waste in here, like soup or drinks. I'm doing all these things and there are no problems with liquid.

The only problem I did have was my son left a couple of banana skins in there without wrapping them, and hey presto the fruit flies arrived. I read on the internet that these guys hatch out of dormant larvae in the fruit. Sprays don't work, just don't make the mistake of leaving the fruit in the open - use the newspapers. The only way to prevent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

the best way is to use bio-degradable bags,ive been using these since i got my bin and its as clean as the day i got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Is this how urban myths get started? My brown bin has two vents but they are high up and just under the handle on the back. Like about 3 feet off the ground and the bin physiclly wouldn't let liquid out unless I put on my garden hose and allowed 120 Litres of water into it. As I'm also in Fingal I would be surprised if we have diff bin designs.

In any case read the leaflet they gave you. Mine says you should try to keep the bin dry inside and what will help is wrapping your food waste with a sheet of newspaper. You are also advised to put a sheet of thick cardboard at the bottom of the bin to soak up small leaks. You are not meant to be putting liquid waste in here, like soup or drinks. I'm doing all these things and there are no problems with liquid.

The only problem I did have was my son left a couple of banana skins in there without wrapping them, and hey presto the fruit flies arrived. I read on the internet that these guys hatch out of dormant larvae in the fruit. Sprays don't work, just don't make the mistake of leaving the fruit in the open - use the newspapers. The only way to prevent them.

I was more more agreeing with the fact that people found the bins smelly and more of a health hazard then the design TBH, I probably could have picked a better post then the one I did to agree too, so I can see the validity of you post, however that was just a one sentance agreement. You ignored the rest of the post which is really more where I was hoping the argument would go, the proliferation of bins without corresponding provision. Basically its possible that existing legislation is complicated and ineffective in our increasingly urban society. Fingal throw bins at houses and apartments without provision or possibly more importantly directive to the necessary storage of such items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have given up on using the caddy.
    We eat a lot of fruit in this household and fresh veg and I had maggots crawling out of the caddy even with the use of the grren bag and on to the kitche floor.
    Going to wait a few weeks until the fly population dies and then start looking at using it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Our brown bin has no holes in at all.:D

wanna buy a drill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

dodgyme wrote: »
    I was more more agreeing with the fact that people found the bins smelly and more of a health hazard then the design TBH, I probably could have picked a better post then the one I did to agree too, so I can see the validity of you post, however that was just a one sentance agreement. You ignored the rest of the post which is really more where I was hoping the argument would go, the proliferation of bins without corresponding provision. Basically its possible that existing legislation is complicated and ineffective in our increasingly urban society. Fingal throw bins at houses and apartments without provision or possibly more importantly directive to the necessary storage of such items?

I saw what you were doing, and I wasn't responding to every issue in your post, just as you weren't responding to everything that went before you. Such is boards.ie. My opening narrative was designed to say that someone raised an impossibility (vents at the bottom of the bin) and then an unlikely event (-liquid leakage: unless you are doing it wrong). Your post did nothing to challenge that which made for my concern about urban myths and took the discussion in another direction. I don't have an opinion on the rest of your post so I didn't bother with it.

Thanks for the suggestion about the bio-bags. Will watch out for them. Are they sealable, because thats the only way to stop the fruit flies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We wrap everything we put in the brown bin in paper bags we keep from the shops. Bin is clean and theres no flies. Every so often I hose it down with some disinfectant. Mainly to clear out old grass etc. Its says here http://www.dublinwaste.ie/files/Brown%20Bin.pdf you can put food soiled paper and cardboard in it. Obviously we don't wrap garden waste like cuttings, grass etc. We don't use the caddy bin either.

Anyone else think that the colours are all wrong here. Brown should = paper/cardboard. Green should = organic material, grass etc.

I saw what you were doing, and I wasn't responding to every issue in your post, just as you weren't responding to everything that went before you. Such is boards.ie. My opening narrative was designed to say that someone raised an impossibility (vents at the bottom of the bin) and then an unlikely event (-liquid leakage: unless you are doing it wrong). Your post did nothing to challenge that which made for my concern about urban myths and took the discussion in another direction. I don't have an opinion on the rest of your post so I didn't bother with it.

Thanks for the suggestion about the bio-bags. Will watch out for them. Are they sealable, because thats the only way to stop the fruit flies?
    just knot them when you remove them from the caddy and straight into the bin with them,great job imo.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    We wrap everything we put in the brown bin in paper bags we keep from the shops. Bin is clean and theres no flies. Every so often I hose it down with some disinfectant. Mainly to clear out old grass etc. Its says here http://www.dublinwaste.ie/files/Brown%20Bin.pdf you can put food soiled paper and cardboard in it. Obviously we don't wrap garden waste like cuttings, grass etc. We don't use the caddy bin either.

Anyone else think that the colours are all wrong here. Brown should = paper/cardboard. Green should = organic material, grass etc.
    i wrap my grass cuttings in paper bags,otherwise i find that the grass sweats in the bin and sticks to the sides and sometimes wont all come out when its being emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Thanks for all the advice on these bins folks. Have just arrived home after a year abroad and have put bin out tonight. Am already planning to get bio-degradable bags after having read some of your comments.

Where does one get these bags anyho? I live in Skerries so I can't imagine any of the shops here would have them. Is there somewhere in Swords or maybe town? Or are they in the DIY stores?

Are there really maggots crawling out of the caddys in the house? Yuck, won't be using that anymore so. Unless I pot a plant in it ;)

try super valu,they should have them and ive been using the caddy for 7 months now and have never seen a maggott.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Cheers for that. I think that will all I will be buying in SuperValu. Stopped off there on the way back from the airport the other day and spent 36 euros on nothing. My God, it has got expensive here. Lidl and Aldi for us!

So no maggots for you! I think I will take extra precautions, can't stand those yokes. Especially since I was served one up in a meal recently :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's been hard training the kids to close the lid on the caddy after they have put in their apple butt and that is how the flies got in.

yeah im the same when the grandkids are over,i have to watch them like a hawk.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

greatgoal wrote: »
    the best way is to use bio-degradable bags,ive been using these since i got my bin and its as clean as the day i got it.

Are these actually allowed in the brown bin though? I know they're bio-degradable, but they are still plastic.

I have some but I thought they were just to help with the black bin material which ends up in landfill. The brown bin material is treated - not exactly sure how - but I didn't think plastic in any form could be put in the brown bin for this reason.

yeah theyre acceptable allright,ive been using them from the word go with no problem.

greatgoal wrote: »
    yeah theyre acceptable allright,ive been using them from the word go with no problem.
    What do you mean "with no problem"? If you mean that the brown bin is collected, I don't think that that can be interpreted as meaning that their use is okay as I don't think that the binmen care (they don't care enough to return the bins to the footpath :mad: ).

I know that biodegradable materials don't biodegrade very well in land fill because there isn't enough oxygen to assist in the process. They end up being as bad as non-biodegradable materials.

• Advertisement

What do you mean "with no problem"? If you mean that the brown bin is collected, I don't think that that can be interpreted as meaning that their use is okay as I don't think that the binmen care (they don't care enough to return the bins to the footpath :mad: ).

I know that biodegradable materials don't biodegrade very well in land fill because there isn't enough oxygen to assist in the process. They end up being as bad as non-biodegradable materials.
    i rang county hall environment section and they confirmed it when i got my bin 7 months ago.also the materials in the brown bin dont go to landfill they go to midland waste in navan for composting,who also confirmed that bio bags are acceptable.

Advertisement