Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clatter , clatter bang, oh it's the Brown bin.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

greatgoal wrote: »
    i rang county hall environment section and they confirmed it when i got my bin 7 months ago.also the materials in the brown bin dont go to landfill they go to midland waste in navan for composting,who also confirmed that bio bags are acceptable.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Since they are composted, it would be great if they took biodegradable nappies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Further to this: I just rang Fingal Co. Co. about the biodegradable bags in the brown bin question. What I was told was that they don't accept any plastics except for biodegradable bags which specifically state that they biodegrade between 10 and 40 days. He said unless they state that they won't be accepted (meaning collected) and that the binmen know by the colour of the bags.

(I know nothing about the degredation process but 10 to 40 days sounds pretty quick for a plastic bag to degrade to me. I never even noticed if there was such a guideline on the bags I bought.)

He said they do not recommend the use of any plastics in the bin. I told him I'd bought some and told him the type and he just said he won't recommend any type/make as they don't really want people using any plastic bags in the brown bins.

Sounds all very grey to me, but I suppose that's typical of the civil service. ;)

Not sure I can face using the brown bin for food scraps anymore without using bags as I'm nearly blowing chunks every time I go near it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got the bio-degradable in Dunnes based on recommendation here in this thread. They're light green bags, packaging states they will decompose in 40 days alright.

Found the link again:
    http://greensax.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good to know. Seeing as you are "Ongarite", I presume the Dunnes in Ongar is where you got them? :D It's my nearest Dunnes, hence I ask.

The ones I got are Killeen Aware biodegradable sacks. I threw out the wrapper for them (in the green bin before anyone asks ;) ) but I don't remember seeing anything about how long it would take them to decompose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

No, didn't have them in Dunnes in Ongar. Got them in the Dunnes in Blanch SC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

If fcc gave everybody a waste disposable unit under their sink and upgraded their waste depots, wouldnt it make life a lot easier and cleaner. I mean the cost of these plastic bins and bags to the enviroment in the long run will be catastrophic. Saw an article on tv a while ago where some country had run out of bins because the place that made them went on strike. Disgusting mess everywhere all over the towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Need to address the issue of all the packaging, ads and flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

BostonB wrote: »
    Which goes back to the big guys, the manufacterers. They cant be penalized too much because they may leave the country,so we the little people have to bear the brunt of the costs. Its just another tax. Just wait folks,the water tax is on its way too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If fcc gave everybody a waste disposable unit under their sink and upgraded their waste depots, wouldnt it make life a lot easier and cleaner.
    That will simply push the waste handling to the sewage treatment plants. The stuff you put in a waste disposal unit tends to be organic i.e. could be put into a compost bin or the brown bin.
    Saw an article on tv a while ago where some country had run out of bins because the place that made them went on strike. Disgusting mess everywhere all over the towns.
    That sounds like it might have been the strike in Naples in May 2007.
    BostonB wrote:
    Agreed. Look at the Repak site - it is really just a lame way for businesses to off-load their responsibilities. Whatever legislation allows Repak to exist is probably to blame i.e. the Government that wrote that relevant law has to take some of the blame.

Advertisement