Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards CC anyone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Yes you can join more than one club but you can only ride open races for the club that is listed on your CI Licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm currently looking into swapping over from rowing to cycling, although I'd be more interested in pushing on as a cyclist in a competitive atmosphere so don't think a Boards CC would be quite what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Sounds like a good idea but normally if you register to be a club they expect you to hold at least one race also to be set up you need to pay cycling ireland pay the Road com as well. the running of race can be hard as well cars have to be Nservice pay for changing areas pay for ambulance gardi and commisarie as well as pay prizes to winners and you will have to have a bank accounts in the clubs name and you will have to have a club chairman vice chairman club secretary club treasurer club captin. can take alot of your time up i know ive been invloved with my own club for years and everything needs major planning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You don't need to run a race. Its not compulsory, although no doubt encouraged. Costs about 4k to run a race I reckon, thats what it cost us for the last 2 we did.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    You don't need to run a race. Its not compulsory, although no doubt encouraged. Costs about 4k to run a race I reckon, thats what it cost us for the last 2 we did.

Cycling ireland had a meeting in july about the calender and clubs and that a new motion is being passed that to be a member of cycling ireland you have to run a race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Cycling ireland had a meeting in july about the calender and clubs and that a new motion is being passed that to be a member of cycling ireland you have to run a race

What about slow races? Give the guys who spent all that time practicing trackstands a chance to shine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If thats the motion being passed Crashoveroid, I reckon its a good idea in principle. The more races, the better. However I very much doubt that even if it is passed it will last long, in reality most clubs who do run a regular race are reluctant to do so if there is another race in that province on the same day. More races.. more clashes, more complaining. Remember the hassle over the scheduling of that race in Navan this summer. They could always make the season longer I suppose to cater for the extra racing, perhaps focus on the dead period after the RAS (which wasn't really a dead period, unless you are an A).

I think it will put pressure on a lot of smaller clubs too, it costs money to run a club and particularly if you are a smaller club made up mostly of touring riders (I could name many). I think forcing a club to run a race is unfair on those clubs as it excludes the more leisure orientated clubs somewhat (unless they could be made put on a leisure spin).

Either way, I can't see this latest brainwave stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

'68 wrote:
    What about slow races? Give the guys who spent all that time practicing trackstands a chance to shine!

Mmmm...I think I know where you are going with this.

I still can't do a track stand:(

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    If thats the motion being passed Crashoveroid, I reckon its a good idea in principle. The more races, the better. However I very much doubt that even if it is passed it will last long, in reality most clubs who do run a regular race are reluctant to do so if there is another race in that province on the same day. More races.. more clashes, more complaining. Remember the hassle over the scheduling of that race in Navan this summer. They could always make the season longer I suppose to cater for the extra racing, perhaps focus on the dead period after the RAS (which wasn't really a dead period, unless you are an A).

I think it will put pressure on a lot of smaller clubs too, it costs money to run a club and particularly if you are a smaller club made up mostly of touring riders (I could name many). I think forcing a club to run a race is unfair on those clubs as it excludes the more leisure orientated clubs somewhat (unless they could be made put on a leisure spin).

Either way, I can't see this latest brainwave stick.

i do see where you are coming from but there is different ways on club reg as far as i was told and depending on what you signed up to what was available its all been broken down its all coming from the UCI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Good idea.

I want to try racing and I've already got the boards gear so that's a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tbh, I'd wondered why this wasn't proposed before and was afraid to bring it up :o

Great idea IMO, and although far from the level of some people here I'd be interested in participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'd be interested in this too. It's a very good idea.

Personally over the next year I'm looking to go from commuting to being good enough to complete the Wicklow 200 in a reasonable time so this would be perfect for me. I now I'd have a lot of catching up to do, but that I can do.

unionman wrote: »
    Mmmm...I think I know where you are going with this.

I still can't do a track stand:(

Well, Im not going to win any speed based contests!

If a club proper is looking like too much hassle and red tape, how about the boards bike gang?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Its a pretty decent idea IMO. I can see it being difficult to organise, but no reason why a casual/leisure club targeted principally on sportives couldn't take off. I guess more competitive cyclists are already in clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi - great idea, would definitely be interested. Don't know about rules/ regs so we'll have to check this out. Was planning on joining a club before I met up with the Boards lads anyway but the spins and events we did, were pretty much was what I was seeking anyway - and have been the best craic. Couldn't have met a nicer bunch. A part of me would still be interested in learning the skills etc. from better and wiser cyclists/ coaches (than I) to enable me to improve and to be able to compete in some way (handicapping etc?). So I don't know if a separate club is needed for this or if we will fall foul of some rule or other that prevents us taking part in races (in our current format). Checking out the cycling clubs that are around, a number of them are actually very small groups of like minded people. Clubs change over time and sometimes split etc. so it may not be such a big deal for our group to become a club. Count me in.

As a separate idea, I was thinking the other day that it would be good to join a club together so we'd get the best of both worlds....?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm on for it. The less formal, the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

sounds like a great idea. Sorry guys bean out sick for four weeks so out of touch. Don't mean to change the subject but any update on the boards cycling gear

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Yeah, a club would be a good idea, but it should be more than yet another roadie club: it should reflect the diverse nature of the forum: road/mountain/commute/fixed - cycling Totale.

How about running a Triathelon: fixed-wheel Alley Cat through the city, roadies out over the Sally Gap finishing with a circuit of Ballinastoe...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

rp wrote: »
    How about running a Triathelon: fixed-wheel Alley Cat through the city, roadies out over the Sally Gap finishing with a circuit of Ballinastoe...?
    That's interesting 3 types of cycling in one event. The winner would surely be the Cycling King of the known Universe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, a club would be a good idea, but it should be more than yet another roadie club: it should reflect the diverse nature of the forum: road/mountain/commute/fixed - cycling Totale.

I think you'd have a hard time trying to secure permission for an alley cat.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I think you'd have a hard time trying to secure permission for an alley cat.
    Permission? We don't need no stinkin' Permission!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Permission? We don't need no stinkin' Permission!

In that case, organising it under the auspices of a registered cycling club probably wouldn't be the best of ideas.

el tonto wrote: »
    In that case, organising it under the auspices of a registered cycling club probably wouldn't be the best of ideas.

This is why it should be a gang, not a club! We could design a gang tattoo!:D!

'68 wrote:
    This is why it should be a gang, not a club! We could design a gang tattoo!:D!
    I'm up for that! A winged skull over a mavic openpro with the legend "Ride free or... take the Dart!"

I'm up for that! A winged skull over a mavic openpro with the legend "Ride free or... take the Dart!"

Whats thats in latin?!

'68 wrote:
    Whats thats in latin?!
    (ignoring all rules of grammar)
    "Veho Libertas... vel Percurri per Jaculum"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sw donegal branch anyone slow riders only (i'd like to keep up)

(ignoring all rules of grammar)
    "Veho Libertas... vel Percurri per Jaculum"

rp I think we're ready to run this city into the ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Is this idea of a boards club still running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

JUST JOINED THE UCD CYCLING CLUB.
    will find out from them what is needed for us. insureance cost €10.
    but i believe that is coverec with our reg fee to CI.
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/cyclingireland/document.jsp?doc=252

like the idea of mixed disiplines
    the road race and mtbing i like, but no way should anyone race in traffic. no alleycats...
    that would be a lot of trouble, you would be asking for.

I'm in.

Advertisement