Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS exam 70-291: worth doing?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    been a long time since i got any certs, i last got my A+ and N+ back in 2004. Since then ive been working in IT and recently finished up almost 2 years working for a govt agency looking after their desktop users and server. (i managed about 7 servers, incl exchange 2003 server, 2 domain controllers, backup servers etc). Started in a new job a couple of weeks ago and came across a book here for self paced training for the 70-291 exam

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx

just wonderin if anyones done this, or anything similar? As far as i can tell its an MCP cert. Seems like it would be a decent course to do. Also is it just like you read and train yourself, then call one of the testing centres in town liek calyx or new horizons or something to arrange the actual exam?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

just wonderin if anyones done this, or anything similar? As far as i can tell its an MCP cert. Seems like it would be a decent course to do. Also is it just like you read and train yourself, then call one of the testing centres in town liek calyx or new horizons or something to arrange the actual exam?
    Thanks

Exactly, you learn the material, prepare for the exam then book an appointment with an exam centre THROUGH prometric for MS (or Vue for Cisco). You don't ring the exam center itself.

Thats a good course, you will learn alot. The exam is tough enough too though, it might be a hard one if its your first MCP cert.

Would you consider doing an Exchange exam first? great certs to have and you will probably find one easier to tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Exactly, you learn the material, prepare for the exam then book an appointment with an exam centre THROUGH prometric for MS (or Vue for Cisco). You don't ring the exam center itself.

Thats a good course, you will learn alot. The exam is tough enough too though, it might be a hard one if its your first MCP cert.

Would you consider doing an Exchange exam first? great certs to have and you will probably find one easier to tackle.

Yeah with my background supporting exchange i wouldnt mind doing an exchange exam, you knwo how it is tho i literally just found this book on a shelf in the job here and started reading it! I did a course in new horizons last year for implementing and managing exchange 2003 but there was no exam at the end! I stil lhave the training manuals and all so might be worth looking intot hat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Read through the book and if you think you know it quite well towards the end, then think about doing the exam.

With the Microsoft second shot offer, you get to take the exam a second time for free if you fail it. So now is a good time to take any MS exam.

You should look into it, at the very least for exchange, check out the MS prep guide for Exchange 2003, you might find that you know alot of the stuff already!

cheers static, appreciate it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just be aware that the second shot offer closes at the end of June. You have until the end of May to register for it and must take the second shot exam by the end of June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I found it helpful - its kind of like an intro to the other core exams/a good all rounder. EDIT - oops I got mixed up there I was thinking of 70-290! I found 291 a bit tough. The actual exam was a bit of a nightmare for me - my first exam to crash so nearly had a panic attack! :pac:

70-290 seems good too, thanks tk123, i might look into that if its a bit easier :D
    thanks all round for everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Would deffo start with 290 .. as its a core server exam. I gave up doing 291 due to my lack of need in it.. I am a developer, but I have 3 of the required exams for the MCSA..

I like the 290 exam, it was very practical and easier to read for and practice

thanks for the help guys, i think i might have settles on the ones i want to do,

first off 70-290 (just did 20 practice questions, and got about 50% hehe..so once i get the book and start studying i should be okay)
    then 70-284 implementing and managing exchange 2003
    and, if i can be bothered after that, ill try 70-291

Advertisement