Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights for Faulty clothing

Options
  • 19-05-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I bought a top from a uk website at the beginning of april and wore it for the first time at the weekend and it came apart at the seams. The website I bought it from says that faulty goods must be returned within 30 days but I have it 45 days. What are my rights here? It wasn't faulty when I bought it and the damage is not due to accidental tear. Any advice for me? :confused: I'm a bit clueless!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Call the citizens information office, by irish law you would be entitled to a refund or replacement as its not fit for purpose I presume that would be the same for an english site- its covered under the sale of goods and supply of services act. Citizens info actually have a decent website too the info you need may be on there www.citizensinformation.ie

good luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The website I bought it from says that faulty goods must be returned within 30 days but I have it 45 days.
    I'd be surprised if it was worded exactly like that as that seems to limit your statutory rights. You are covered by the UK Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Contact the seller and let them know what the problem is. See what they say to do first. If they say that you had to return the faulty goods before 30 days have passed then let them know that they are trying to limit your statutory rights (which is illegal) and that you have the right under the UK Sale of Goods Act 1979 for the seller to replace the goods with goods of merchantable quality. I am not sure what you do if they refuse as I have never been in that situation. I presume you can take them to the small claims court which you might be able to do from Ireland but I don't know if that is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

because it was purchased online it is covered by "distance selling" rules the same way door to door sales and catalogue sales are covered check out this link to the consumer association website relating to buying online

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Guides_To_Consumer_Law/Buying_Online/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    because it was purchased online it is covered by "distance selling" rules the same way door to door sales and catalogue sales are covered check out this link to the consumer association website relating to buying online

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Guides_To_Consumer_Law/Buying_Online/
    I dont think that infers any rights regarding quality of goods as that is already covered by the likes of the sale of goods act. It is mainly to do with extra rights like cooling off periods etc.

Advertisement