Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #34 - Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Excellent choice. Jailbreak, Dancing in the Moonlight & The Boys Are Back in Town. Great songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Excellent album, classic lizzy lineup of Lynott, Downey, Gorham and Robertson.

An Iconic album cover with Lynott in Powerslide mode, his massive presence makes his Black Fender Precision look like a ukelele.

Full of endless great tracks and a great starting point for anyone getting into Lizzy.

Was interested some time ago that a great deal of the album was overdubbed in the studio with Tony Visconti at the helm (famous for his glam rock sound with Bowie), well so what, the album sounds large! And I can listen to it whatever the occssion

Tracklisting is

"Jailbreak" (Lynott) – 4:31
    "Emerald" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott, Robertson) – 4:18
    "Southbound" (Lynott) – 3:44
    "Rosalie/Cowgirl's Song" (Downey, Lynott, Seger) – 4:00
    "Dancing in the Moonlight (It's Caught Me in Its Spotlight)" (Lynott) – 3:50
    "Massacre" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott) – 2:46
    "Still in Love With You" (Lynott) – 7:40
    "Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott) – 3:32
    "Cowboy Song" (Downey, Lynott) – 4:40
    "The Boys Are Back in Town" (Lynott) – 4:30
    "Don't Believe a Word" (Lynott) – 2:05
    "Warrior" (Gorham, Lynott) – 3:52
    "Are You Ready" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott, Robertson) – 2:40
    "Suicide" (Lynott) – 5:00
    "Sha La La" (Downey, Lynott) – 4:18
    "Baby Drives Me Crazy" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott, Robertson) – 6:36
    "The Rocker" (Bell, Downey, Lynott) – 3:58

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

"Is there anybody there with eh, any Irish in them? Is there any girls who'd like a bit of more Irish in them?" Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Its one of my favourite lizzy albums, for the simple reason that i've never liked the sound of "studio lizzy" which is ironic, as according to visconti's autobiography (which is a good read) pretty much all the bass and most of the guitars and vocals were redone! if memory served he even used some bowie crowd noise.

so, LAD is lizzys best sounding studio album IMO.

also, i want to give the '82 album "life" a mention for some decent versions of newer lizzy....it always gets overlooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Its one of my favourite lizzy albums, for the simple reason that i've never liked the sound of "studio lizzy" which is ironic

I kind of know what you mean, my example would be deep purple, I love "Made in Japan" which was my introduction to Purple, however it took a long time for "In Rock", "Machine head" etc to grow on me as I was so use to the live versions. Similarly my first AC/DC album was "if you want blood" which has some super versions of the songs which are arguably better than the studio ones.

Actually come to think of it my favourite Lizzy studio albums are after Live and Dangerous, i.e. "Black Rose", "Chinatown".

I've actually never heard Life, is this the same as the Thunder and Lightening concert? I had a video of that for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's about time this is album of the week to be honest. This and Thunder And Lightning are the two essential Lizzy albums.

"Oh no no no no. This is a song I wanna do.......The Rocker" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

What I love about this album is the sense of energy that it generates on listening to it. It's just a powerful album.

The highlights for me are Rosalie/Cowgirl's Song, Emerald, Warrior and The Rocker, classics stompin' songs. Would love to have seen Lizzy live with Phillo at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

damonjewel wrote: »

I've actually never heard Life, is this the same as the Thunder and Lightening concert? I had a video of that for years

yep, its from that tour. I thought some of it had been recorded in galway, but according to the wiki i was wrong....

Link

For me LAD is all about the cowboy song/boys/dont believe a word back to back. savage stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Would love to have seen Lizzy live with Phillo at the helm.

I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of times, one with Snowy White and one with John Sykes.

I was even luckier to actually meet Phil in person. I used to play in a band in the 80s and he was in the audience at one of our gigs. WE had a few drinks and good chat with him afterwards. Sadly I dont even have any photos of the night but I`ll always remember it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

adox wrote: »
    Sadly I dont even have any photos of the night but I`ll always remember it.
    You'll always have the memories.

Really great album, I dont care about post-studio editing etc, this is a great album! You genuinely feel your at the concert! I love Rosalie and Emerald, they just sound so good. The vocals in Still in love with you is really cool too.(dont know if they were edited or not, anyone?)

An essential for any irish person to have in their collection, or anyone who likes rock music at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

I was lucky enough to see Lizzy play Dalymount Park, during the Live and Dangerous tour. I was only about 15 at the time. I only have to hear the first few bars of Emerald, and I am right back there, feeling the soft rain, and thinking this is IT ! happy days. It is still one of my all time favouret albums.
    And Dont get me talking about " Dancing in the moonlight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wasn't a lot of this album re-recorded in a studio. Not too sure of the reason why.

Entire songs weren't done in a studio but alot of the drumming was re-recorded along with some of the guitar work.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

i want to give the '82 album "life" a mention for some decent versions of newer lizzy....it always gets overlooked!

The Life/Live album is a nice addition to any Lizzy Supporter's
    collection, but its not in the same league as Thin Lizzy 1976
    to 1979. At their best from Jailbreak right through to Black
    Rose.

Anyway Live and Dangerous is a must have album for anybodys
    music collection. Its a Band at their Best.........
    Have about 400 CDs its probably my favourite and the first i
    put on in the car when going long distance...

Advertisement